We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What time to arrive by boat on Friday?

Michigan
2 posts
Save Topic
What time to arrive by boat on Friday?

When is a good time to arrive this Friday to get a well protected spot to dock? I don't mind being rafted to but want to make sure that we have shore power and room for the dinghy.

cincinnati, ohio
Level Contributor
2,332 posts
224 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What time to arrive by boat on Friday?

Given this is PEAK season, I don't think I'd want to chance pot luck on a slip for the weekend at PIB. Were it I, I'd review marinas here, then start making phone calls to try to reserve a slip. If you bomb on PIB or KI, Tibbels Marina just west of Marblehead Lighthouse is a nice protected anchorage and should have what you need.

Michigan
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: What time to arrive by boat on Friday?

I'm confused. From what I remember, the majority of the docks at PIB are first-come, first-served on weekends. has this changed? The Crews Nest doesn't accept weekend reservations and Millers is booked for the rest of the summer. So, even if I could get someone to pick up the phone, reservations are basically out.

My question was if there was a better time than most to arrive on a Friday to get a decent spot at one of the docks that has shore power?

Thanks.

Troy, MI
Destination Expert
for Put in Bay
Level Contributor
279 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What time to arrive by boat on Friday?

The PUBLIC docks downtown (A, B, C docks) are first-come, first-served. Looking at the docks the past cpl months, it seems a lot of boaters are getting over on Thursday night. I am not sure about the exact rules, but don't you still get to run power even if you are rafted off? Since you are paying the same, no matter which raft spot you are at?

A distant second place option if you don't want to be in the middle of all the fun and action would be docking at the brand new state marina over on Middle Bass and taking the Middle Bass Ferry back and forth.

Sandusky, OH
Destination Expert
for Sandusky
Level Contributor
481 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What time to arrive by boat on Friday?

What is the Middle Bass Ferry called besides Middle Bass Ferry? And I did read the earlier you get over there the better. http://www.putinbay.com/boating.htm

Edited: 02 August 2012, 17:23
Troy, MI
Destination Expert
for Put in Bay
Level Contributor
279 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What time to arrive by boat on Friday?

@Ghostly, that is the actual real name of the ferry now!!!

Used to be called the Sonny S when Stan had it and ran it. After the Bookers took it over last year, they changed the name to Middle Bass Ferry, and that is the website too... www.middlebassferry.com

Hope that helps!

6. Re: What time to arrive by boat on Friday?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2013, 00:17
Get answers to your questions about Put in Bay