We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Delaware Cart Rental Disgust

Which Put in Bay hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wallingford...
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Delaware Cart Rental Disgust

Not only was I surprised and dismayed by the amount of cob webs and spiders covering the cart we rented, good ole #138 spit, sputtered, lurched and backfired the three times we dared move it once we had managed to navigate to the far end of the island away from their downtown location. When we returned the cart and mentioned how unsafe it was, the attendant first told us we were wrong since she "drives it all the time and never has any trouble." Funny how that could be since, as I stated below, it was covered with cobwebs when we picked it up. Maybe she was recalling its glory days when it was new (I'm guessing 2001). She then offered to replace it with another and I said no, I didn't trust them and would prefer to just have some of my money back (I rented it all day but only used it for 4 hours). She said she could not do that. I said that was not a very customer-friendly approach. While I was not happy with the ordeal, I was disgusted with the attitude. Rent from this company at your own risk!

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
738 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Delaware Cart Rental Disgust

So ... When it was discovered that the cart didn't work properly, they tried to make it right by offering you a replacement??? Terrible customer service!!!

If the cart was that dirty (BTW: a picture of the condition they brought it to you in would help your case immensely), didn't run properly, and you were unhappy with it - why didn't you ask for another cart right away? Or better yet, get your money back on the spot, and find another cart rental agency?

Unfortunately, breakdowns and issues happen in any business. I have never rented from these guys, so can't comment from experience - but it sounds like they tried to do the right thing in this case.

Troy, MI
Destination Expert
for Put in Bay
Level Contributor
270 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Delaware Cart Rental Disgust

I always rent from this company so this is a big surprise! The spiders are not a surprise as you will find those on every cart on the island. The backfires happen once in a while on different carts and we always laugh when everyone ducks after the "gunshot" of a backfire.

Like JOZ said, why didn't you return it immediately and ask for a different cart rather than wait 4 hours? That would be the same as renting a hotel room and waiting until after you took a shower to complain about hair in the tub. Sounds like they tried to do the right thing to me.

Hope the rest of your trip was a good one.

Wallingford...
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Delaware Cart Rental Disgust

Let me clarify. The lurching and backfiring started occurring after we had reached the southern tip of the island. We then had to nurse it back. We were not riding continuously for 4 hours. The right thing for them to do would have been to cut me a break on the full day rental fee they charged. Good news is everyone else on PIB was delightful and we enjoyed the visit.

Troy, MI
Destination Expert
for Put in Bay
Level Contributor
270 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Delaware Cart Rental Disgust

I guess I am confused then. Did you just park your golf cart somewhere for 4 hours and then try to ride it and it backfired on you? Or did it take 4 hours to get to the south end of the island? And when you called them from wherever you were and told them that your cart was not working, you did not accept their offer of having someone bring you a replacement cart?

We had a similar thing happen to us once on the island, renting a cart from Delaware Carts. Our cart just suddenly seemed to die, so we called the number on the big sticker on the side and they brought us a new cart. Had to wait about a half hour if I remember correctly since it was a busy day, but we were given a new cart no problem. That actually is one of the reasons we continue to rent from them is because that guy who helped us was so nice about it.

It honestly sounds like you just wanted to get out of a daily cart rental if you wouldn't accept a different/better cart for the remainder of your rental term. I know the poor kids who work the rental booths downtown have to deal with a lot of stuff from tourists with different agendas and varying levels of intoxication. I am trying to think of an analogy where you rent a hotel room and halfway through your stay you call the front desk and say you want your money back because the air conditioning doesn't work, and won't accept their offer of moving to a different room.

It is good to hear that you enjoyed your visit though!

Wallingford...
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Delaware Cart Rental Disgust

You need not impugn my integrity by suggesting I was trying to get out of paying a few dollars. The staff was in denial their cart was defective. For their sake and yours, I can only hope they service their vehicles better and stop sending out poorly operating machines (as we both experienced). As for me and my family, we're taking our business elsewhere.

6. Re: Delaware Cart Rental Disgust

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 June 2015, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Put in Bay