We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why do YOU Come to Put-in-Bay?

Troy, MI
Destination Expert
for Put in Bay
Level Contributor
287 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic

I've been a Put-In-Bay boater, renter, worker, and now visitor for going on 20 years now. I have seen a lot of changes, both good and bad... and met a lot of great people (mostly good, but a few bad, LOL!).

My question to you, whether you are a seasoned PIB vet or are a first-time almost visitor, is this:

==========================

==========================

I am really interested in the responses and hope to create some more "Top Questions" and "trip ideas" based upon what everyone has to say. So have at it, let's hear the top reason why you visit, or are about to visit, Put-In-Bay Ohio. Maybe this will help inspire another visitor to discover something new here on the island.

(as an aside, we just made this year's USA Today "10Best Great Lakes Destinations for Summer" http://www.10best.com/interests/travel-features/10best-great-lakes-destinations-for-summer/)

cincinnati, ohio
Level Contributor
2,629 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Why do YOU Come to Put-in-Bay?

Perch. Mon Ami Winery has the best - cooked in butter, although The Village Pump, Mossback's and several others have great perch dinners. Tibbel's Marina has the best boat if you're into catching perch.

History. Johnson's Island Confederate Prison and Cemetery. Perry Victory Monument. The Glacial Grooves. So unique, so unique.

And then there's just being able to sit alone in an Adirondack chair on a secluded beach and watch the waves roll in.

Chillicothe, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Sandusky
Level Contributor
3,521 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Why do YOU Come to Put-in-Bay?

The history, touring the island, the Traminette at Heineman's. I like sitting at a relaxed bar with some drinks, or on a boat in the marina. I do NOT enjoy the college crowd and try to avoid them.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
189 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Why do YOU Come to Put-in-Bay?

We were there last summer. We had always heard about how nice it is. I gotta say it was the dumbest place we've ever been and we've been quite a few places. It is way overpriced for one. We went to a " beach" to fish and there were snakes everywhere. I don't mean one or two snakes, I mean at least 20! The hotel we stayed at was suppose to be nice and it was very disappointing. My kids age 13 and 18 couldn't wait to leave! And they love the outdoors, water, and they like snakes!

Chillicothe, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Sandusky
Level Contributor
3,521 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Why do YOU Come to Put-in-Bay?

Sadly, many people don't realize the abundance of the Lake Erie Water snake (subspecies of the Northern water snake) on the LE islands. They can be aggressive (but are non-venomous), they can be stinky, and in some areas, yes they're EVERYWHERE you step. But they're such a beneficial species, with 90% of their diet consisting of the round goby (fish) which is an invasive non-native species. Did you guys go to the caves, the winery, or Perry's Monument? When we take our kids, those are the spots we always hit up. Caves are maybe a little overpriced, but the experience is worth it, IMO. We never stay on the island, so I can't comment on that.

Sayville, New York
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Why do YOU Come to Put-in-Bay?

Which hotel did you stay at?

Troy, MI
Destination Expert
for Put in Bay
Level Contributor
287 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Why do YOU Come to Put-in-Bay?

I think the snakes are great! There are always a few laying out tanning on the rocks at the Millers Ferry dock on the mainland side and if you go to the water's edge on the island you will find them in the right spots.

There was also an AWESOME episode of Dirty Jobs with Mike Rowe about the Snake Lady and the importance of the Lake Erie water snake and it showed him reaching in to a bush and getting bit, LOL!

Other than that, I have never ever seen a snake attack in the winery, or on the public boat docks, or in a golf cart, or playing golf at Saunders, or in any shop, bar, or restaurant. Never even seen snakes up on the Monument. You pretty much have to go looking in order to find snakes, but most definitely expect them in their natural habitat on the beach.

I personally think it is great to find so many snakes making a comeback! And actually, if I am not mistaken, I think they JUST got taken off the endangered species list!

Chillicothe, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Sandusky
Level Contributor
3,521 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Why do YOU Come to Put-in-Bay?

^ Me too!!!!!! But, I'm an environmental scientist, and my enthusiasm isn't shared by many (not even my husband).

We just bought a boat and will be staying in the marina a time or two in the summers. It will be fun to see how he reacts to the snakes. Heehee!

8. Re: Why do YOU Come to Put-in-Bay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 11:16
Get answers to your questions about Put in Bay
Recent Conversations