We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions about visiting next year

Tilburg, The...
6 posts
Questions about visiting next year
Save

When everything is again ok we will visit USA next year.

That will be in July or Augusta as I have a n international football tournament in the middle of June.

September is not an option I think because we are doing a trip by train.

Starting in San Francisco and then after a couple of days taking the 2,5 day train to Chicago.

After that we want to visit cedar point for 2 days and then going to New York,

If it is Needed I can rent a car and drive, I am the only one that may drive.

Now I have a few questions:

- is visiting cedar point by public transport possible

- or is it better to rent a car. Tips are more then welcome. It is not a problem if we take public transport from Chicago first

- what are good hotels (cheaper is good enough because you only sleep there) with restaurants on walking distance

- what is the easiest way to go from Sandusky to New York?

14 replies to this topic
Tilburg, The...
6 posts
11. Re: Questions about visiting next year
Save

We are planning to visit the park during the midweek, we want to be 2 full days in the park, thinking about Tuesday and Wednesday, so that will be 3 hotel nights. It will be in July we think because In June I have a full week of soccer tournament in another country.

Going to Signup for the newsletter, thank you.

Just thinking if we take the bus or train from Chicago. Because I doesn’t want to arrive in Sandusky during the night. Tips are welcome.

What do they have for breakfast?

I downloaded now the Uber app and watched a video about it. It is not difficult.

A Dutch person told me that because I have t-mobile that I can buy a package to be connected in the USA and have 5 gb data,

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
5,613 posts
264 reviews
287 helpful votes
12. Re: Questions about visiting next year
Save

When we rode the Zephyr, I found a book(we have a fantastic library system in Cincinnati) on the Z: Kisor, Henry, ZEPHYR; TRACKING A DREAM ACROSS AMERICA, about his trip to Chicago, even included names of employees(most of which should be retired , it's been that long) which really made it nice.

You might want to consider a stop at Glenwood Springs,Colo for a night or two. This spa is famous, the Zephyr stops at its station and since the Z runs daily, pick up the eastbound a day or two later - get a break from the travel woes.

I found you another book, Kelly, John, THE CALIFORNIA ZEPHYR; An Entertaining History of America's Most Celebrated Train Route, if you're interested.

No railroad station in the U.S. has a rental car agency(like airports) as best i know because there isn't enough business to justify the cost. This is why I advised Enterprize - they will come pick you up, take you to the office to sign the papers and you leave from there. The process works in reverse returning the car. We've used them several times in our train travels and found them outstanding. Although taxi, Lyft, and Uber would be option in Port Clinton but would limit sightseeing in this resort area.

Like I said - Amtrak isn't near as nice as European rail service, but its all we have - unfortunately.

Safe trip,

Tilburg, The...
6 posts
13. Re: Questions about visiting next year
Save

Is it possible to get an uber or lyft from (i think the breakers hotel) to cleveland airport?

And what does that cost?

Level Contributor
533 posts
4 reviews
14. Re: Questions about visiting next year
Save

Did a dummy booking on Lyft and it shows $102 for a standard Lyft. Notes that there are very few drivers available though so I don't know if that would be an issue. I would certainly give yourself a lot of time to make that trip to account for connecting with a driver and then making the trip. Otherwise I would use Enterprise car rental unless Breakers has a partnership with another vendor (and then it could be even easier).

Reply to: Questions about visiting next year
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in United Kingdom. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.