We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lodging near Sandusky

TN
Level Contributor
151 posts
Save Topic
Lodging near Sandusky

I have been trying to find lodging near Sandusky in August for UNDER $100/night. I found 2 places and need some feed back on them.

Mecca Motel and The Plantation Motel.

Has anyone ever stayed there or know about them?

Thank You!

Chillicothe, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Sandusky
Level Contributor
3,457 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lodging near Sandusky

Both are on the east side of sandusky towards Huron. When we were kids in junior high and high school (like 10 years ago, I grew up in sandusky), we could buy passes to swim in the pool at Mecca, but I've never been in one of the rooms. The outdoor pool is very big though, and from what i remember very nice. The Plantation is relatively new operation (in an older building) to the area and looks nice from the outside. Both are in areas of the city where there isn't much to do (no restaurants, etc), and there are train tracks right on the other side of the road. but it is a short drive to Cedar Point. You could always make your reservation, find out what the cancellation policy is, then try to get there and look at your room before you get penalized with a late cancellation. In order to keep below $100 a night, I would look into some of the motels/hotels in Huron, Norwalk and Milan. It would be a little more of a drive to get to the park, but should be cheaper.

Also, check out the Best Budget Hotels.

TN
Level Contributor
151 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Lodging near Sandusky

Thank you for your reply. I have tried the Budget Hotels, they too are around the $115/night range.

Why is August the most expensive month to travel there?

Chillicothe, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Sandusky
Level Contributor
3,457 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lodging near Sandusky

No idea. I suppose why ever you're going there in August is the same reason as a lot of people. Going away right beofre school starts is common enough. After talking to one of my friends that still lives at home, she says the Mecca is better. Check out the website: www.mhdcorp.com

TN
Level Contributor
151 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Lodging near Sandusky

Actually the reason why we're going at that time is because that was the only weekend my friend was available before the park closed.

I did check out the website. It does look nice. Hopefully my friend will pick one of those 2. I keep telling her that those are the cheapest ones we will find at that time.

She lives in Cleveland and doesn't want to drive back and forth all weekend.

5. Re: Lodging near Sandusky

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 May 2006, 13:56
TN
Level Contributor
151 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Lodging near Sandusky

Thanks for the info. I looked them up and La Quinta looks the best, plus they have free breakfast. That comes in handy!

You guys have been great.

Any "must dos" or "don't miss" on either Put-In-Bay and/or Kelley's Island? Any "off the beaten" path on either of the islands?

Thanks

7. Re: Lodging near Sandusky

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 May 2006, 13:56
Sandusky
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Lodging near Sandusky

Mecca Motel is terrible. Pool is very run down; concrete falling off in chunks into pool and water is not something you want to swim in.

Chillicothe, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Sandusky
Level Contributor
3,457 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lodging near Sandusky

That's too bad, it was decent 12 years ago. But I guess it's no surprise.

TN
Level Contributor
151 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Lodging near Sandusky

We will be staying at the LaQuinta in Sandusky. I've read good reviews about it.