We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary help

Which Sandusky hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Livonia, MI
Level Contributor
689 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary help

We are going to Cedar Point for one day and we have booked Kalahari for another night. I’m getting a bit dizzy and confused from reading about so many things in the Sandusky area that I thought I would ask for help here.

We have a full day on a Saturday as well as a half day on a Monday with nothing planned yet. We are staying in Huron Saturday. My thoughts were possibly the African Safari and Seneca Caverns. Does anyone know about these caves and if they are worth a visit? I can’t seem to find any reviews about them.

Vermillion and Marblehead both look cute. Is one better than the other or can they both be visited in a day?

My other thought was Put in Bay for the day but we have a nine year old with us and I’m a bit leery of the “party” aspect of the island. I’ve only been to the island once and it was during the October Festival and I can’t seem to recall what the daytime was like (hmmm must of been a fun trip LOL) Has anyone taken their children during the day on a weekend? Is Perry’s Cave worth it? We went to the Crystal Cave while there and really weren’t too impressed by it. It basically was just a hole with some pretty shiny rocks that you climbed down in and back out of the hole in 5 minutes.

Like Michigan Ohio seems to have a lot of Metro Parks. We like nature and hikes – do you have a favorite park that is close to Huron – possibly with a beach? I came across Schoepfle Gardens and it looked beautiful. Does anyone know about this place?

Sorry this is so long and I am grateful for any other ideas. We are members of The Henry Ford and Greenfield Village here in the Detroit area so the Thomas Edison history is not something we would be interested in since his lab is there and it is so similar. Thank you for any input. My daughter is beyond excited about this trip so she thanks you too!

Heart of it all
Level Contributor
577 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary help

We always took our son on a weekend (DAY) to Put-In-Bay. We left before the partying got a good start. We rented a golf cart and rode around and enjoyed the island. We like African Safari and the Marblehead Lighthouse. Have fun, hope you post a trip report.

Chillicothe, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Sandusky
Level Contributor
3,427 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary help

It's been a long time since I've been to seneca caverns (like 15-17 years, i was a kid), but it has a decent reputation.

a visit to african safari (i'm sure your daughter would love) is worth it if you couple it with a visit to marblehead to the lighthouse. maybe a monday 1/2 day event?

Put-in-Bay is absolutely fine for kids during the day. it gets a bad rep because of the night time atmosphere. Perrys cave is MUCH better than the crystal cave (which is only cool to see the largest geode in the world). rent a golf cart, explore, google put in bay, lots of daytiem activities that do NOT involve drinking or partying.

if you still don't think it's your cup of tea, look at Kelleys Island. a lot quiter, a little less stuff to do, but a nice state park with a beach as well.

Heart of it all
Level Contributor
577 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary help

We did exactly what IrishLake suggests. We stopped at Cheese Haven and got some GOOD stuff, then headed to the African Safari. We were there a couple of hours, then went to the Marblehead Lighthouse and let the kids put their feet in the water and took lots of pictures. We tried to go to East Harbor, but it was a Saturday, and there was nowhere to park. You may want to check out Toft's Dairy for some yummy ice cream on your way into Sandusky. You will have a great time. I've always wanted to try the "Good Time Ferry Cruise" but have never made it up there for that.

Livonia, MI
Level Contributor
689 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary help

Thanks so much for the advice. I think I have googled everything in the Sandusky area and that’s why I ended up here again because I was utterly confused! LOL Can you climb to the top of Marblehead Lighthouse? We do this in a lighthouse every year in Michigan and love it. Also do either of you know if the train ride tour on Put in Bay is worth it? The African Safari is on our ride home so it may make more sense to do that on Monday. Of course my husband is going to tell me he will need a vacation from the vacation I plan! LOL

Heart of it all
Level Contributor
577 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary help

I know they give tours of the lighthouse, so I'm assuming you could climb it. Maybe somebody else will know more about that. Also, be sure to check the African Safari website for coupons. We also ate at Margarittaville in Sandusky that day, but they had a fire and I'm not sure if they have reopened. You will need a vacation after Cedar Point and Kalahari. Enjoy those kids, they sure grow up fast. I remember people telling me that and I was thinking..oh sure...well, it's true.

Chillicothe, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Sandusky
Level Contributor
3,427 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary help

i'll be eating some tofts this weekend! and i dont even like ice cream, but i love tofts!

i THINK you can still climb to the top of the lighthouse, but i can't remember. best to do some searching online. Bayref might know.

you can visit both islands in one trip www.goodtimeboat.com/cruises/daytime.html could be worth it! i dont beleive you can take your own bikes on the Goodtiem ferry though, so you'd have to rent when you got there. but if you want to see the glacial grooves, you need to take a tram or bike to the other side of the island. bikes are only $4/ hour (since you'd only be on the island for an hour or so...)

Livonia, MI
Level Contributor
689 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary help

I know I’m tired just thinking about it but my daughter is FINALLY over 48 inches (she’s been counting since she was 5) and is so excited to go on the big coasters this year. I was her age when they first opened the Gemini and remember it was such a big deal. Now the Gemini seems small in comparison but it’s a good memory. We are leaving mid July so I’ll do a trip report with what we ended up doing when we get back. Thanks again for the help. At least I know not to be afraid of Put in Bay if we go that route.

Heart of it all
Level Contributor
577 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary help

Don't want to give away my age, but the Blue Streak was the big coaster when I first started going. I still like it, too!

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
369 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Itinerary help

I agree that Put in Bay is fine for kids during the day. The boat ride over is fun too. When we went to the lighthouse (about 2-3 yrs ago) we could not climb up it. The kids were not enthralled. I liked reading the hx blurbs.

There is a beatiful beach in Huron, but I can not remember the name. I would ask around when you get there.

ohio
Level Contributor
119 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Itinerary help

Im not sure where to start... I posted some links at the bottom of this repy.. I hope they help

I have never been to Africian Lion Safari.. 50% of the people love it.. 50% say there is not enough animals, and the ones that are there are old.. Its your call..

I was at Seneca Caverns 15 years ago.. I was amazed at what I saw, but I left wanting more. This is in Bellevue Ohio..Bellevue is also home to a sort of nice Railroad Museum [lots of old Locomotives and Railroad cars]

Vermilion and Marblehead are 47 min apart.. Believe me its 47 min and 18 sec ...So you will have to decide if you want to hit both in a day check out the links for both.. hit the tour link at the BOTTOM LEFT of the marblehead site. I think it is so neat...

If you want to go to an Island go to Kellys Island you can catch a ferry in Marblehead. Rent a Golf Cart.. the kids will love it and you cant get lost...ITS AN ISLAND you'll wind up back to the Golf Cart rental in due time..

Favorite Parks... Schoepfle Gardens are Beautiful. Started by a Rich Newspaper owner 50 years ago,,He willed them to the Lorain County Metro Parks when he died.. They are in Birmingham Ohio.. 8 miles south of Vermilion or 18 miles south east of Huron.. At the Bridge where St Rt 113 crosses the Vermilion River.

Sheldon Marsh is 2 miles west of Huron...Its a wonderful nature walk. and Old Womens Creek is the smallest reserve in the National Estuarine Research System. It is also the only Great Lakes-type, freshwater estuary in the system.

A park with a beach.. Check the Huron Rec link..Beaches... Nickle-Plate Beach is nice -as beaches go ,on Lake Erie.. but a $5.00 per car parking fee.

[ I wrote to much im not gonna look for errors.....I would'nt know one if I found it anyway ]

http://www.madrivermuseum.org/ Railroad museum

http://www.senecacavernsohio.com/

"Sheldons Marsh"

www.dnr.state.oh.us/tabid/910/default.aspx

us-parks.com/nos/…index.html

http://www.marbleheadpeninsula.com/

…homestead.com/index.html

http://www.huronparks.org/