We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Desperate to go to Cedar point

Which Sandusky hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
370 posts
165 reviews
Save Topic
Desperate to go to Cedar point

Hi

I really really want to go too Cedar Point. As its not well known in the UK there is no where I can get a package deal so I would need to book it all by myself. Just a few questions to who ever could help me would be great!

Which airport? If I hired a car whats it like driving from the airport/hotel/park? Is it safe? I have driven in Orlando so I got a little experience driving in the USA.

Whens the best time to go? and where would be the best place to stay. I found a few hotels near by but they dont look very nice and I can never get a qoute on the Cedar point website for hotels!

Sorry about all the questions but its my life mission to go to this place!!

Thanks

columbus
Level Contributor
979 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Desperate to go to Cedar point

Good luck on crossing this one off your "bucket list". Should be no problem, as long as you can cross the pond it's a piece of cake!

I would suggest you fly into Cleveland and rent a car. It is an easy, straight shot into Sandusky, about a 45 min to 1 hour drive depending on traffic, due west. Really not difficult as long as you stay on the correct side of the road!

I would suggest staying at the Breakers Hotel, on the beach, at Cedar Point, it is nice and convenient, and gives you that "old time" feeling of what the park must have beeen like earlier in the century. Hey, it's your first (hopefully not last) trip, make it memorable and hassle-free.

Good luck! Binti

columbus
Level Contributor
979 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Desperate to go to Cedar point

Oh, safety. Yes, it's extremely safe. Cleveland is a big city, but you will be there for what, about 45 minutes as you de-plane and pick up the car! Then heading west on the freeway you pass Cleveland suburbs (quite nice) and beautiful stretches of country as you near Sandusky. Sandusky is a tourist town, and you will find it extremely safe and friendly. As you will find, Ohio is one of the friendliest states in the country.

Best time, late June, July, August, it can rain and thunderstorm during that time, though. As August gets later, into September, our weather gets a little drier but still nice and warm. I would shoot for late August, although beware, the first Monday in September here in the states is Labor Day, people have the day off work, and families take long weekends. the park will be PACKED that weekend, so maybe come a week or two before that.

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
370 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Desperate to go to Cedar point

Thank you very much I feel alot better about booking it up now. I see the breakers hotel and it looks great but using the reservation on the cedar point website I can not find anything! I will have to keep try maybe its a bit far ahead to book yet (August)

Thanks again!

Chillicothe, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Sandusky
Level Contributor
3,370 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Desperate to go to Cedar point

Hey Rich. I ditto what Binti said. Look at flights into Cleveland or Toledo. Both are larger cities and Sandusky sits right between, 45min-1hour drive to either. As for hotels... The Breakers is a great choice. Right on the water, walk to the park entrance. Also consider the Hampton, Comfort Inn/Suites, or Sawmill Creek resort in neighboring Huron. If you want an affordable, clean, classic 1950's style motel, The Maples is the areas best. Kalahari, Great Wolf Lodge and Castaway Bay are great indoor waterpark resorts. And Castaway Bay is owned and operated by CP, so you can get package deals on admission. Also, don't be afraid to look at other area cities, like Huron, Milan (MY-lan, not MIL-ahn), Norwalk, Vermilion and Port Clinton.

Binti named the best times to go. I'm partial to late may, early june. but bring a jacket, it can still be chilly. Also, late august is also a great time, much warmer weather. and weekdays tend to be less busy than weekends.

I helped some friends 2 years ago from No. Ireland plan their trip to the area, and they loved it. They go by the names "Navigator" and "maac56" here on TA if you'd like to look them up.

Check back on the CP website after the first of the year for hotel rates. They're likely adjusting them, as rates tend to change every year and they just dont' have the 2009 season rates set yet.

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
370 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Desperate to go to Cedar point

Thank yo very much, I will hold fire until they publish there new rates. I found another theme park sort of near by, Kings Island, would really like to get there too so I might do half a week in each. Not sure yet though! They have a new ride for 2009 "Diamond back" I wish I live in the states, you guys have the best theme parks!

Chillicothe, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Sandusky
Level Contributor
3,370 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Desperate to go to Cedar point

wha'ts great Rich, is that they're both owned by the same parent company. you can get a Platinum Pass for $150 and it will get you unlimited access to Cedar Point (and its sister water park, Soak City) and Kings Island (which has a waterpark already included in admission), and that includes parking. They are only about a 3.5-4 hour drive from eachother. Cedar Point is by far the better of the two for roller coasters, but Kings Island holds its own with rides like The Beast (longest wodden coaster in the US or world, cant remember which). And with Cedar Fair now owning KI, you will see more rides like Diamondback being built there in the years to come.

What else is great... for me personally at least, is that I live near one park, and grew up going to the other park and visit frequently in the summer months :-)

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
370 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Desperate to go to Cedar point

I will look into that pass sounds good! I wish I could visit all the parks in the US, the ones in Europe can be good but not as good as US ones!

Is Ohio in general safe? If im ok driving around sandusky would I be fine doing a 3 hour trip to the other side of Ohio? Like I said I have done lots of driving in Europe (driving on the right) and once in Florida!

Thanks

Chillicothe, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Sandusky
Level Contributor
3,370 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Desperate to go to Cedar point

rich, driving in ohio will be simple as pie. :-) the drive between sandusky and mason (kings island) will be a boring one. through lots of farm country. and driving in sandusky is no different from driving in any other small town. just don't speed and rememeber to use your turn signals.

Ohio
Level Contributor
187 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Desperate to go to Cedar point

Flying into Cleveland is your best bet. After you rent a car the drive will be an easy one. Interstate highway most all the way. The same from Sandusky to Kings Island. If money is not a big issue staying at one of the large water park hotels could add to the trip. Cedar Point operates a few hotels on grounds and just off the grounds. If you book any name brand hotel in the area; you should be ok. Ask for opions.Ohio is safe . Just be aware much as you are at home. If you visit over the July 4th holiday,much more to enjoy. If yo have any questions feel free to email me.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
25 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Desperate to go to Cedar point

Hey Rich, everyone's said great stuff.

Personally, I'd prefer flying into Toledo just because it's a bit smaller, but like everyone's said, it's about the same driving distance.

As far as the best times to go... I always like to go the Tuesday and Wednesday after a long weekend. For instance, Memorial Day is Monday, May 25, so May 26 and 27, 2009, it's going to be a ghost town in the park. I think the longest we had to wait was maybe an hour and a half when we went this past summer. The Tuesday and Wednesday following July 4 and Labor Day would be the same.

Good luck planning and have fun on your trip!