We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

September visit

Lexington, Kentucky
Level Contributor
368 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
September visit

My husband and i are planning a visit in September for halloweekends. Here is what I was thinking:

Arrive Thursday early afternoon and stay at Kalahari

Spend Friday morning/afternoon at Kalahari, then leave and check in to Breakers, spend Friday night at CP.

Spend Saturday at Kelley's island

Sunday back to cedar point - stay somewhere close-by Sunday night

Head home Monday

My goal is to avoid crowds both at Kalahari (never been) and CP (last visit 5+ years ago) - I originally was planning on the weekend of the 22nd, but there seems to be an Ohio HR conference at Kalahari, so not sure if that would impact crowds at the waterpark? The 2012 CP crowd predictor shows heavy crowds on sunday, but wasn't sure what that meant in terms of wait times? I am ok with waiting 45 min or so for a larger ride, but 2 hours seems crazy and at that point we might opt to go with a fast pass - by September hopefully they'll have the kinks ironed out and I can judge whether it's worth it or not.

Any advice/suggestions on Kalahari, CP, or KI?

Thanks!

Chillicothe, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Sandusky
Level Contributor
3,457 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: September visit

Expect 2 hours or longer for big ride wait times every day of Halloweekends. They may be less on Friday night though. Everything depends on weather as well. if long ride wait tiems aren't your thing, you could always purchase a Fast Pass.

Are you dead set on staying at Breakers on Friday? It hasn't been getting good reviews lately, and if you aren't even planning on going to CP on Saturday, it seems to be unneccessary.

Sandusky, OH
Destination Expert
for Sandusky
Level Contributor
482 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: September visit

You have some very nice plans. Spending Thursday/Friday at Kalahari is a good idea. Saturday would be more crowded. And it’s good idea to stay at a Cedar Point hotel if you would like to have early entry. Sunday is a good day to visit Cedar Point. But sometimes they do not have all of the Halloween activities/haunts up and running. Friday night would be better for this. Hope this helps!

Lexington, Kentucky
Level Contributor
368 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: September visit

Thanks - that does help!

Irish - I'm not dead set on staying at the Breakers - my husband and I both stayed there with our families when we were younger, and I realize that the place is old and outdated (seeing the traveller photos that are posted does not scare me too much, we've stayed in worse!) So, the nostalgia factor is mainly what I was basing my decision on, and also being able to walk to/from the park Friday and Sunday, and getting early entry on Sunday. I'm open to other suggestions though - especially since they don't allow stays on Sunday night, so we'd have to move to another location that last night. Any suggestions for that last night? We'll probably be tired from the park, but we still would be willing to drive a 1/2 hour or so.

I think we will probably see how many rides we can get in on Friday night, and then base our decision on the fast lane pass on that. I know I've waited in lines 2+ hours many times before, but I'm not a teenager anymore and I think the $100 is a very reasonable price to pay if it gets the wait time down to 30 minutes or less. :)

Thanks again!

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: September visit

If you stayed at the Breakers Express Friday night, I believe you still could get discounted tickets ($25 for Starlight admission?) for entry Friday night, upon check-in.

http://www.cedarpoint.com/places-to-stay

It's a very short drive from the Breakers Express to the park, and you probably won't be going back and forth to the hotel at night, another advantage of the Breakers location. You probably have to pay for parking if you stay at the Breakers Express; I don't remember.

cedarpoint.com/accommodations/Breakers-Expre…

chicago, il
Level Contributor
196 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: September visit

Hi-felt the need to pop in and address your comments about Hotel Breakers being old and outdated. The only section where this is really a concern is the old Bon Aire (sp?) section (you can book the rooms in this section for a much lower price as well). However, if you are in the other sections of the hotel (we were in the Tower) the rooms are not outdated. They are not exactly the Ritz--but they are your general hotel rooms (they cost more than the Bon Aire section, too. It is really clear on the website when booking which section you are booking for).

Just wanted to put that out there. As long as you don't mind the price for one of the "newer" sections (and realize you are paying a premium to be right next to CP and on the beach), IMO there is nothing wrong with Hotel Breakers. Of course the other suggestions above are great...but don't assume the Hotel Breakers is all completely outdated.

Hope you have a great trip,

Kelly

6. Re: September visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2013, 08:15