We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 night or 2?

Which Sandusky hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Columbus, OH
Level Contributor
2,036 posts
149 reviews
Save Topic
1 night or 2?

We are staying at Kalahari next month and I'm trying to decide if we should stay 1 night or 2.

Sandusky, OH
Destination Expert
for Sandusky
Level Contributor
472 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 night or 2?

I would stay two nights. It's much more relaxing that way. You can't check in until 3 and check out is 11. They have lots of things to do at Kalahari. But we also have a lot of things to do in our area. Any other questions?

Columbus, OH
Level Contributor
2,036 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 night or 2?

They said we can come as early as noon on checking day and leave at closing on check out.

I was thinking about doing something else while we were there, but not staying at kalahari both nights because it is so expensive.

We don't ride too many amusement rides so I don't think Cedar point would be worth the cost, but am open to other suggestions.

It will be me & hubby (both 30s) and 3 dd (3, 6, 9)

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 night or 2?

With three kids of that age, I would consider visiting Put-in-Bay and/or Kelleys Island (see Lake Erie islands in the following link), the Cleveland Metroparks Zoo (less than hour from Sandusky), the Cleveland Museum of Art (free admission so great for kids, but also with unique kid-oriented attractions; 1.25 hours from Sandusky), or Lake Metroparks Farmpark (see Kirtland in the following link; one of the best in the U.S.; 90 minutes from Sandusky).

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g50207-s407/Cleveland…

Kelleys Island has its glacial grooves, a National Natural Landmark.

Kids like towers, and Put-in-Bay has one of the best in the U.S. The Perry's Victory and International Peace Memorial features the most massive Doric column in the world with an open-air observation deck higher than the torch of the Statue of Liberty. Make certain the memorial is open at the time of your visit due to sequestor budget cut-backs at the National Park Service.

Similarly, the Terminal Tower observation deck in downtown Cleveland can entertain kids. It's only open weekend afternoons. For several decades, the Terminal Tower was the tallest building in the world outside of NYC, and is still ranked 114th tallest in the U.S. See discussion below in the "Cleveland tips" travel article. The article also discusses the Cleveland Metroparks Zoo, the Cleveland Museum of Art, and the West Side Market, another good attraction for kids on days it is open.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g50207-c198218/Clevel…

The Cleveland Museum of Art may seem like a strange suggestion for young kids, but as described in the above "Cleveland tips" travel article, it is not your typical art museum. Reportedly, kids as young as three enjoy the "Studio Play" attraction, part of Gallery One, the center of CMA's innovative digital features that currently are the best among art museums in the U.S., including the nation's largest multi-touch screen. The museum's large armor and weapons court has fascinated young boys for decades. With no admission charge, there is no better place in the country to my knowledge in which to introduce kids to the high arts. The CMA is massive, very visitor friendly, and one of the best in the U.S. Kids also may enjoy quick visits to the recently open new Japanese and textile galleries. The CMA has one of the best Asian art collections in the U.S., although several new galleries containing parts of this collection won't open until late this year. Also, a walk outside around the Wade Lagoon and the Wade Fine Arts Garden may be very enjoyable on a nice September day.

clevelandart.org/research/…fine-arts-garden

Lake Metroparks Farmpark offers close encounters with many domesticated animals, including several rare breeds. Guests, especially children, can hand-milk a caged cow in the dairy parlor. The park offers many special events on weekends. Located in Kirtland, the Lake Metroparks nearby Penitentiary Glen also is very popular with children. It features a nature center and sometimes large-scale model train rides.

Other Cleveland attractions to consider would include the Great Lakes Science Center, the Steamship Mather and the U.S.S. Cod.

The Hampton Inn Airport is a conveniently located, kid-friendly hotel offering free parking, a nice pool, and free breakfasts.

Columbus, OH
Level Contributor
2,036 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 night or 2?

I'm not sure I would be comfortable taking my kid to PIB, I've been there a few times an its always been rowdy! Maybe Kelly's island, I'm sure they would like it, and it's much calmer.

Thanks for the other suggestions, I will look into them.

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1 night or 2?

I was thinking during the day in PIB, concentrating on the Perry monument and other kid-friendly activities. Also, you're coming in September, when the party activities should be more muted, especially on weekdays.

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1 night or 2?

The suggestions in post 3 here by MGoBlueBoy, the Put-in-Bay DE, may be of help:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g50874-i2701-k6762…

Columbus, OH
Level Contributor
2,036 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1 night or 2?

I would be a Friday/Saturday when we are there.

Chillicothe, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Sandusky
Level Contributor
3,430 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1 night or 2?

Trans gave you some great suggestions, KendallsMom. :) Enjoy a day or two at Kalahari, then explore Put-in-Bay. It has a reputation of being a party place, but there's lots of great family-friendly things to do. There's also places like African Safari wildlife park, the wildlife attractions at Kalahari, local public beaches, nature preserves, etc.

Columbus, OH
Level Contributor
2,036 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1 night or 2?

We are heading up this weekend! We are staying at Kalahari one night, then I would to stay near the lake the next night and visit KI. Any suggestions on where to stay?

Chillicothe, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Sandusky
Level Contributor
3,430 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 1 night or 2?

There's not many hotels right on the lake in Sandusky. Castaway Bay, Breakers at Cedar Point. Could always try Sawmill Creek in Huron. There's a few places in Port Clinton that are on the water though. You'd be closer to the KI ferry that way. May want to message Shores & Islands on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/shoresandislands