We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cedar Point May/June 2014

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
34 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Cedar Point May/June 2014

Hi All,

We are in the process of planning our trip to the US in May/June this year. One of my goals for this trip is to go to Cedar Point, we missed out on going the last time we came to the US but I am making an effort to get there on this trip. It’s taken the last two years of going to small parks in Australia but I have finally got the other half semi-excited about going as well.

Up until today I had my itinerary arriving at the park on the afternoon of Sunday 1st June and departing on Tuesday 3rd June, so one full day and two part days. Browsing the web today I see that a few Ohio schools (not all I think) actually have their last day at school on Friday 30th May and I was wanting to check from anyone who may know what sort of impact this may have.

An option for me may be to rearrange our trip and arrive the Wednesday before, departing on the Friday (28th – 30th June) or do you think the original plan will still be ok.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Many thanks

John.

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cedar Point May/June 2014

Usually the slowest days at Cedar Point are Tuesday through Thursday, if that is a help. Earlier in June likely is better than later in June because the U.S. summer school holiday season kicks in big time after the second week of June. May 28 and 29 likely would be the slowest days at the approximate time of your trip, in my guess.

As things go, the weekend you're choosing may be relatively slow as it follows Memorial Day weekend, but the Cedar Point experts on this forum likely can give you more concise information and answer your question directly.

Keep in mind, however, that Cedar Point is not just an Ohio thrill park. It draws heavily from the region, especially northern Indiana and Michigan (Detroit area), and is a national and even international attraction.

Read through this forum and read threads on fast passes.

Posts 7 and 12 in the Ohio trip report thread may be of interest to you.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28956-i265-k56830…

In the event of stormy weather, attractions in Cleveland, one hour to the east, or possibly even the Lake Erie islands may be of interest. Put-in-Bay, which bills itself as the Key West of the North Coast, is a short ferry ride from Sandusky. See Lake Erie islands in the following travel article.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g50207-s407/Cleveland…

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g50207-c198218/Clevel…

If you/re planning a road trip, you may want to post your itinerary and interests here:

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i12567-Road_Tri…

Good planning!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
34 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cedar Point May/June 2014

Thank you for that information. The blog post on that link is amazing, Am looking forward to reading through it on the weekend.

We are planning quite a bit of driving, haven't got down to that level of detail yet though - still in the planning phase, trying to fit in everything we want to do over the 4 weeks. Will post on the road trip section when I know more.

Thanks again, you have been a great help.

Chillicothe, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Sandusky
Level Contributor
3,521 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cedar Point May/June 2014

Toohey, I think your time frame will be perfect. You can get the Starlight rate (after 5pm) on the day you arrive, and then the full rate for the next two days. You will get a lot completed. Don't worry about schools that time of year. It's so early in the season, and not all schools will be done by then.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
34 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cedar Point May/June 2014

Thanks IrishLake

I have actually just updated my itinerary and will be arriving Wednesday 28th May, departing Friday 30th May - gives me a little bit more peace of mind I guess.

So I can get a Starlight ticket on the day when we arrive - no need to pre-book those?

Thanks.

Sandusky, OH
Destination Expert
for Sandusky
Level Contributor
492 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cedar Point May/June 2014

You can buy your star light ticket once you arrive. I would also suggest to check the weather. Cedar Point does not give refunds for rain. Where are you staying?

Edited: 20 January 2014, 18:32
Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
183 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cedar Point May/June 2014

Stay at on of their hotels! You can get EPA (Early Park Admission) this is the best time to do Dragster./ Maverick / Gate Keeper and Millennium Force. You will love it.

Also as long as you are in line for the attraction by park close they will let your ride! Even if the line is long!

We highly recommend riding Millennium at night!

Here is our list of our favorite coasters there... Mind you I am from Dayton Ohio and I have been going to the "Point" every year the last 21 years :)

1.Maverick

2. Raptor

3. Dragster

4. Magnum

5. Millennium Force

6. Wicked Twister

7. Blue Streak

8. Gemini

9. Gate Keeper

10. Mantis

11. Cedar Creek Mine Ride

12. Iron Dragon

13. Mean Streak

14. Corkscrew

15. Woodstock Express

16. Jr. Gemini

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
34 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cedar Point May/June 2014

@GhostlyManor - Thanks for that information, we will most likely be staying at The Breakers for the early entry, being close to the park is a plus :)

@FloridaTripGuides - Thank you for that. I was not aware of that end of the day thing 'being in line guarantees you a ride'.

Really looking forward to this trip.

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cedar Point May/June 2014

Toohey, did you notice that the park is open two hours fewer on May 28 and 29? This may be one reason that attendance might be less on those days, or the shorter hours reflect that attendance is expected to be less on those days. The benefit of purchasing Starlight tickets would be less on those days, unless the Starlight hours begin earlier.

https://www.cedarpoint.com/hours-directions

I don't know the policy for fireworks, etc., on days with early closings.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
34 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cedar Point May/June 2014

Thanks TranscendentalEye, I was not aware of that. This is still a section of the trip I havent made any bookings for yet as I cant 100% decide on what I want to do. With everything else already booked my choices are the 28th/29th May or the 2nd/3rd June. On the one hand its 2 hours less, on the other its possibly a quieter park.

I know its all small details and I should stress less and either will be an awesome 2 days but I really cant decide.

Thanks to everyone for their time and help :)

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cedar Point May/June 2014

Unfortunately, weather may be a key determinant to attendance at Cedar Point and also whether the big coasters are open or not (rain, high winds, etc.). The odds are good that one of your two days will be good, if both days aren't good, just because fronts typically move quickly through the Great Lakes region in spring, but there are no guarantees.