We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Decent Area Near Cedar Point for Hotel Stay

Peoria, Illinois
Level Contributor
59 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Decent Area Near Cedar Point for Hotel Stay

We will be ending our road trip with a stay at Cedar Point the end of July. I see that hotels near the park are expensive, so we would be fine with staying at a hotel further away, but within 25 miles preferably. What are some decent towns to book a hotel? We are not familiar with the area at all so any help would be appreciated. We are a family of 5 - mom/dad plus 3 kids.

Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
8,555 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Decent Area Near Cedar Point for Hotel Stay

Hi Magnolia, I am from Springfield, Illinois!! We just returned from a vacation to CP, and we camped at a state park in Port Clinton. It is only about a 20 minute drive to CP, not bad at all. I saw a hotel there that looked nice, but I can't remember the name of it. You could do a google search...we liked the Port Clinton area and it was convenient to CP. Hope this helps!

cincinnati, ohio
Level Contributor
2,589 posts
239 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Decent Area Near Cedar Point for Hotel Stay

We're booked into The Sleep Inn on SR53North in Port Clinton(Marblehead Peninsula) for the first week in August. Sr. rate is under a hundred a night, yours will probably be higher but not as high as the closer hotels. This is a Choice Hotel but only open during the summer and has the usual SI amenities - pool, breakfast, et.al. Short drive to CP.

If you want to go low end, Tibbels Marina, in the same area as SI, has an older strip motel, clean and comfortable but nothing fancy, that will do maximum 5 in a room at $90 plus tax. Nice folks, too.

While you're in the area, hit these spots, all fairly close to the hotels:

Marblehead Lighthouse;

Johnson Island Confederate Prison Camp and Cemetery - costs you 8 quarters to use the causeway;

Glacial Grooves - on Kelley's Island, where the glaciers gouged out layers of rock as they moved south - free except the ferry fare, but that's a fun trip with kids too. Shore and Islands website has a discount card for the area(and a lot of information also).

Perry Victory and Peace Monument - on Put-In-Bay - will give you one h-----a view of the lake.

Finally, your last night, eat at Mon Ami Winery and Restaurant - the perch is divine!!

Hope this helps!!!!!!!!

Peoria, Illinois
Level Contributor
59 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Decent Area Near Cedar Point for Hotel Stay

Thanks!

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Decent Area Near Cedar Point for Hotel Stay

Jlr, did you camp at East Harbor State Park? How did you like it?

The Jolly Roger in Port Clinton is a great fast food joint for lake perch and walleye.

Chillicothe, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Sandusky
Level Contributor
3,517 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Decent Area Near Cedar Point for Hotel Stay

The Maples Motel in Sandusky is a neon light style motel, but it gets great reviews. The Holiday Inn Express in Vermilion also is lower in price, but gets good reviews.

Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
8,555 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Decent Area Near Cedar Point for Hotel Stay

Transcendental, yes that is where we camped. We have stayed there a couple times before this trip - I think this is our third or fourth time staying there. It is a very nice state park, and our grandsons loved the beach area. However, our campsite sucked - I even tried to move to another park after seeing our site and finding out that there was nothing else available at East Harbor, but I couldn't find any other campgrounds with vacancy. You can see my review of East Harbor as it has already been posted.

We will definitely stay there again as it is really a beautiful place - we just unfortunately got a bad campsite.

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Decent Area Near Cedar Point for Hotel Stay

Jlr, thanks for the answer. I read your review and that East Harbor campsite does sound frightening. However, as it otherwise sounded like a great campsite given the small campsites at East Harbor, what do you think about booking it and bringing reflecting/flashing barriers or hanging Christmas tree lights to warn oncoming drivers? It sounds like that lot might often be available! :-)

BTW, also read your review of the Niagara Whirlpool Jet Boats. Did you sit in the front of an open air boat? They've maybe slowed the boats down as somebody was tossed out of one of the boats.

You're right they're not as fun as real white water rafting, but I was bounced around pretty well and was soaked sitting in front of an open-air boat when I took the ride.

Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
8,555 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Decent Area Near Cedar Point for Hotel Stay

Transcendental, I think that lighting on your RV would be a great idea! I would have felt much more confident knowing that drivers could see our RV better when they came around the side of it. As you can imagine, it was very dark back there. Right past us was a wooded area, very dark. We did have a cute little raccoon that came out every night poking around our campsite. With lighting, I think it would be fine, and you would have the advantage of a much bigger campsite...although we didn't spend a lot of time there because of going back and forth to Cedar Point, Put-In-Bay, Soak City, etc. And, actually we didn't have to deal with a lot of traffic, most people would leave their campsites by just pulling out on the road, not coming around the cul-de-sac. It was just a strange situation that had me a bit flustered.

Yes we did do the open air boat in Niagara. We were disappointed in it, probably because we have been on so many other rivers that are a lot wilder. We have been rafting for many years and have been on the Colorado River, Arkansas River, Ocoee, Nantahala, Chattooga, New River and the river in Georgia where Deliverance was filmed (that I can't remember the name of!). It just seemed as if the rafting in Niagara didn't have many major rapids (just one or two if I remember correctly), where, for example, the New River has rapid after rapid (one of which I fell into!!). I can't remember where we sat on the boat, but I don't remember getting very wet. If you are ever looking for a very exciting rafting experience, I highly recommend the New River in West Virginia!!

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Decent Area Near Cedar Point for Hotel Stay

Jlr, I've rafted the New River. Even though I'm a lousy swimmer, I even jumped off Jump Rock, trusting my life to my life vest (the guide assured me I would be OK; it's amazing how we are willing to risk our lives sometimes). It was one of the great Huck Finn experiences of my adult life, although I had a bucketful of adventures as a kid. As you're probably aware, people do die on the New River, typically by falling off the raft into a rapid. :-)

Here are some great articles on the New River, and the one by David Ewing is a good one. However, when I was there (late June?), the river was too rough to allow anybody to get out of the raft and float.

class-vi.com/rafting/…

The New River Gorge is otherwise fantastic, with great trails, ziplines, etc. I would encourage any Ohioan to check it out for a weekend trip, good for camping, renting a cottage, etc.

The New River Gorge is a worthy alternative to Niagara Falls, although I still love the NF area and greatly enjoyed the Whirlpool Jet Boat trip, even though it has become very expensive.

Apart from the adventure, the jet boats are a great way to see the Niagara Gorge, which fascinates me, noting the progression of the falls up river in a mere 10,000 years.

The Niagara River is much faster and more powerful than the New River, but admittedly the jet boats negate much of that reality. The jet boats still don't let kids and light individuals in the front or the edges of the open air boats.

Kayaking, even by the world's best pros, is banned on the Niagara River, whereas the New River is a kayaking heaven.

Those few pros who have kayaked the Niagara River, sometimes with permits and film crews, more often by dodging the authorities who aggressively pursue any transgressors, describe the rapids as comparable to ocean kayaking through heavy waves.

Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
8,555 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Decent Area Near Cedar Point for Hotel Stay

Transcendental, my husband also jumped off the rock...not me! It is a very exciting river, we have been on it several times. It's pretty scary when you fall out of the boat into a rapid (in my case, I was accidentally knocked off the boat along with two other people), but they got us back in quickly. It has been many years since we were there, the ziplines weren't there years ago, but that sounds like fun. We may have to make another trip back.

I think that the we probably weren't as thrilled with Niagara because we are used to being in the rafts and more a part of the action. The scenery was beautiful but I remember having a feeling of 'is that all there is?' regarding the actual boat ride. We have only been to Niagara area once, about six years ago, and would love to go again. The power of the falls is unbelievable!