We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cedar Point Accomodation Recommendations

Which Sandusky hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cadillac, MI
Level Contributor
36 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
Cedar Point Accomodation Recommendations

I have been looking through this forum and not quite found what I am looking for. We are 4 adults (no kids) looking to go to Cedar Point this September/October. Just wondered what the general opinion is regarding the various hotels at the park vs. staying somewhere maybe a little more adult orientated that is somewhat off property and a little bit of a drive. Also, as a second question has anyone been there during their Halloweekends and have information on some of the special things they do there during that time. It sounds a little crazy but we didn't want to go there when school was out still in the hopes that perhaps the crowds would be a little more under control. Haven't been to Cedar Point in quite some time and we all have that little thrill seeker kid inside that loves to ride roller coasters. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

cincinnati, ohio
Level Contributor
1,939 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cedar Point Accomodation Recommendations

We'll be staying at the Sleep Inn on SR57N the first week in August, a reasonable drive time to CP given the break in price. Sr. rate is under a hundred with the breakfast amenities. This hotel is only open during the summer so check on their closing date before booking.

You'll want to have dinner at the Mon Ami Winery just up the street at least once.

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cedar Point Accomodation Recommendations

Read through this forum. HalloWeekends are among the busiest of the year, especially Saturdays. Regarding the summer school vacation season, May, very early June, and the last couple weeks of August, always avoiding weekends, are among the best times to avoid crowds.

Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
7,502 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cedar Point Accomodation Recommendations

We have visited CP many times, and the best time for us was one year in late August/early September. Very small crowds and the weather was beautiful. I think they were only open on weekends, though. If the Lighthouse cabins/cottages are still open, that would be my choice of where to stay (unless you are looking for somewhere you can have a bar or restaurants, etc).

Chillicothe, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Sandusky
Level Contributor
3,370 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cedar Point Accomodation Recommendations

Halloweekends in September and October are the busiest days of the year. You may be better off going at the end of August (23rd and 24th), or September 6th and 7th. Don't forget August 30 and 31 is Labor Day weekend this year, which will be busy at CP.

You may come across less kids at Sandcastle Suites and Lighthouse Point (cabins). But, you ARE at a family theme park. There's going to be kids at any hotel you stay at, and I honestly can't think of one that is more "adult orientated" in the area. If you really don't want many kids around, you may be better off staying at a Hilton/Marriott, etc in downtown Cleveland or Toledo, and then making the hour drive to and from CP.

If you stay at a CP owned property though, don't forget you get early entry to the park, and that is well worth it to many.

Cadillac, MI
Level Contributor
36 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cedar Point Accomodation Recommendations

Thank you all for the input I really appreciate it!

Plantation Florida
Level Contributor
485 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cedar Point Accomodation Recommendations

Check the operating calendar here.

https://www.cedarpoint.com/hours-directions

Look at the last week of August, they make the closing time 8pm. This means they expect less crowds.

If you stay at an onsite hotel (Breakers Express), you'll get early entry into the park and discounted tickets (Ride and Slide). You will be allowed to enter the park 1 hour early and go on a few rides before the general public is let in. This is huge to check off 3-4 major coasters. The thrill ride tour is Maverick, Millennium Force, Raptor, then Top Thrill Dragster. After that, you can do the other rides such as Gatekeeper.

If the people in your group don't wake up early, and can't get to the Magnum gate around 08:30am, then none of what I said matters. In that case, stay at the La Quinta Inn to save money, show up to the park at 09:30am, and go in when they open at 10am.

In my case, I stayed at the La Quinta Inn (across from Casa Real), had a season pass which got me in early, and was at the Magnum gate (Soak City Parking Lot) at 08:00am first in line. The gate opened at 9am, and I walked to Maverick for a walk on ride in the front.

Canton, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Garden City Beach, Surfside Beach
Level Contributor
3,285 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cedar Point Accomodation Recommendations

Likewise, I have been to several Halloweekends over the years, as well as some holidays (Memorial Day & Independence Day) and agree that the Halloweekends are the most crowded!!!

I really like staying at Sandcastle Suites. There are always kids there, but they have never bothered my wife and I when we have visited.

Cadillac, MI
Level Contributor
36 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cedar Point Accomodation Recommendations

Thanks again for all the input! I suppose crowds aren't completely unavoidable at Cedar Point and I have always wanted to see it both at night and what they do for the Halloweekends!

Canton, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Garden City Beach, Surfside Beach
Level Contributor
3,285 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cedar Point Accomodation Recommendations

Not sure if your second question was answered... "Also, as a second question has anyone been there during their Halloweekends and have information on some of the special things they do there during that time."

The entire park is "dressed up for Halloween". It is actually pretty cool, I would say more so during the day.

In the evening, Frontier Trail because a haunted trail with a lot of fog machines and not a lot of light. This normally would be awesome, however due to a lot of people, it becomes a very slow moving shoulder to shoulder mob...

They put on several haunted houses and haunted walks throughout the park. Usually the lines are just as long, or longer than the line for Millennium Force. I have done several of these and they are top notch quality imo.

Note, some of the rides, and even some of the coasters are closed for the season. (Mean Streak has been closed whenever I went to a Haloweekend.)

I believe most, if not all of the shows are not being performed at this time of year, but they do have new Halloween based shows.

One of the times I visited, it was for an event called BooBuzz with a coaster club. We were allowed into the park early and were able to ride the new rides before the park opened for normal early entry. (I think Maveric may have been the new coaster that year.) You may want to see if any coaster clubs have an event going on when you are going to visit and perhaps join the club to take advantage of the exclusive ride time! It is especially worth it on the super busy days!

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
112 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cedar Point Accomodation Recommendations

We rented a condo in the Chesapeake Lofts and it's less than a 15min drive to CP. Of course you still have to deal with traffic leaving the park. We paid $200 per night for a 2bd 2bath condo, which was cheaper than most of the CP hotels.