We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Covered Bridges

Delaware
Level Contributor
75 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Covered Bridges

Does anyone know of any historic or otherwise worthwhile covered bridges along the route from Toledo and across the Lake Erie shore area to PA?

We will be driving up from Bowling Green up to Dearborn to see Ford Museum/Village, then back into Ohio and across to Erie PA.

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Ohio
Ohio
United States
Erie
Erie
Pennsylvania
Buffalo
Destination Expert
for Buffalo
Level Contributor
2,328 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Covered Bridges

There's an outstanding covered bridge in Upper Sandusky, but that's quite a distance south of where you'll be. I'm not aware of any along the route you've mentioned.

Mentioned in this post
Huron, Ohio
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Covered Bridges

www2.dot.state.oh.us/se/coveredbridges/

Looks like Ashtabula County is pretty much the covered bridge capital of Ohio with 16, and most of them are within a few miles of I-90, which I would assume you'll be travelling if you are going to Erie. I haven't seen any of them, but I would guess there are a few worth checking out.

Mentioned in this post
Ohio
Ohio
United States
Buffalo
Destination Expert
for Buffalo
Level Contributor
2,328 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Covered Bridges

vpbob21: That's a great website -- thanks! I may use that myself in the future...

Delaware
Level Contributor
75 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Covered Bridges

Thanks Pastiche & Vbob!

I like the website too. Actually the first half of the week we'll be travelling into Ohio from Wheeling WV, heading to New Philadelphia/Dover for the night. We'll have the next day to take the scenic route through the Amish area and will spend the next night in or around Bowling Green. Looking forward to just relaxing and taking in all the "pastoral" beauty the area might have to offer.

Thanks again for the link! I really wanted to post this just in Ohio forum as we will be covering a large part of the state, but TA will not allow it. You now have to select a specific locale to post in!

I've enjoyed reading through many of the older posts for ideas and may be back on with some additional questions.

Mentioned in this post
Ohio
Ohio
United States
Wheeling
Wheeling
West Virginia
Buffalo
Destination Expert
for Buffalo
Level Contributor
2,328 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Covered Bridges

Have fun in BG! I'm a BG grad! :)

Delaware
Level Contributor
75 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Covered Bridges

I'm afraid I'm not a BG grad! My mother was born & raised in BG on Wooster St Across the street from campus, they moved to Florida way back in 1955!. My great aunt had a farm outside of town & I spent a few Summers there with my grandmother, so that is my connection to the area. Haven't been to OH since I was about 12 yrs old, so I am looking forward to it.

Hope you have fond memories of your time there!

Mentioned in this post
Florida
Florida
United States
Buffalo
Destination Expert
for Buffalo
Level Contributor
2,328 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Covered Bridges

Yep, I loved my time at BG! Ohio is beautiful! Still, I think you'll be shocked by the development that has occurred in what used to be farmland along Route 25, especially as you approach Perrysburg.

If it's not too far out of your way & you have time, take a hike around Oak Openings and visit the Toledo Museum of Art and the Toledo Zoo. Both the museum and zoo are world-class...

Mentioned in this post
Ohio
Ohio
United States
Toledo Zoo
Toledo Zoo
1,580 Reviews
Toledo, OH
Canfield, OH
Level Contributor
249 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Covered Bridges

www.ashtabulacountymetroparks.org/harpers.htm This is the longest covered bridge in Ohio, and it has a nice park around it. It is only 1 mile south ot the Rt 534 exit off of I90.

Mentioned in this post
Ohio
Ohio
United States
Ashtabula County
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Covered Bridges

www.coveredbridgefestival.org/bridges.htm

This is a site that highlights our October festival but there is a lot of useful info on it with regards to covered bridges.

Hope you have an enjoyable trip!

10. Re: Covered Bridges

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 December 2009, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Toledo