We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Info between Toledo and Cleveland; and Toledo and Defiance

Adelaide, South...
Level Contributor
76 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Info between Toledo and Cleveland; and Toledo and Defiance

I have a friend who will be visiting in the months of November and december

Can someone advise realistically what the weather would be

1) Am trying to find out the distances between the two trips (ie between Toledo and Clevend) (Toledo and Defiance) Can they be combined together?

2) How long realistically the drive would be

3) What would be travel options for these cities (ie Greyhound ; do they go direct? If there any time tables; discounts for seniors etc

4) Is there a local bus that also goes direct? How much would this costs and how often do they run etc

am looking for as much specific info as someone can help with so I can print it out

thank you and look forward to anyone's reply

Mentioned in this post
Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cleveland
Level Contributor
1,938 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Info between Toledo and Cleveland; and Toledo and Defiance

There is a bus that goes from Cleveland to Toledo - Megabus - they do a Chicago to Cleveland run with a stop over in Toledo to drop off and pick up passengers. Toledo is about 120 miles from Cleveland.

Not sure about the Toledo to Defiance - it is about 57 miles from Toledo to Defiance.

Try the Greyhound website

www.greyhound.com

but it doesn't look like there is a greyhound station for Defiance.

Mentioned in this post
Michigan
Level Contributor
201 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Info between Toledo and Cleveland; and Toledo and Defiance

Cleveland and Defiance are opposite directions from eachother, so it would not be direct routing. The weather in Nov/Dec will likely be cold and snowy. Cleveland gets a fair amount of lake effect snow due to it's proxemity to Lake Erie. I would suspect that Greyhound goes to Cleveland. The bus stop is Downtown in Toledo on Jefferson at Michigan st. There is also a stop in Defiance. Besides Greyhound, you could try Megabus maybe? Not faimilar with them, but they run Cleveland to Chicago, so there may be some options there.

Mentioned in this post
Northwood, Ohio
Level Contributor
31 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Info between Toledo and Cleveland; and Toledo and Defiance

Hey, mickeydownunder:

The temperature can vary wildly at that time of the year--especially in November. I checked the National Weather Service's climate division and this is what I found in Definace: November 2008: average high/low: 47.5F/29.8F. The warmest day of the month was Nov. 7 when the high reached 73F. Things generally get a bit more consistent in Dec. In 2008, averages were 34.5F/18.2F. Numbers were similar in 2007: Nov. 48.5F/33.1F and Dec. 35.1F/24.0F. To me, it seems like the weather is not overly brutal (as far as winter precip.) in those months--it seems like most of our winter storms wait until after the New Year. The key word there is, of course, "most". As far as precip, I'd personally be more concerned about ice around then. There are also a few days, again especially in Nov., that seem a bit blustery to me. One more very important note: Cleveland's position off the lake--especially the downtown area and east--is subject to heavy snow in the winter, but I suspect that the odds of that will be pretty low considering the time that is being discussed. This is largely because of cold winds blowing west to east.

Between Defiance and Toledo, personal driving is really the only option that I know. I believe Greyhound (an intercity bus company) pulled out of Definace a few years ago. Defiance is southwest of Toledo. It's probably about 1 hour to 1 and a half hour drive. US Highway 24 is a straight shot, however it is very heavily traveled--especially by semi trucks. Keep aware as most of that highway is one lane each direction.

Between Cleveland and Toledo, more options are available. The other posters have mentioned the intercity bus services Greyhound and Megabus. Neither service offers senior discounts that I could find. Greyhound appears to six to seven departures each day, however some of those departures have a stop between Toledo and Cleveland (in Sandusky). Those trips obviously may take a bit longer. Megabus offers three departures each way a day. No stops between Toledo and Cleveland. In my pricing, I've found that Megabus generally has lower fares, but the internet has all sorts of horror stories of Megabus. Amtrak, the national passenger train line, offers two departures each way a day, but those departures are typically scheduled in the overnight hours (anywhere from midnight to 4:00am local time). Again, driving one's self is certainly a feasible option, but depending on where the specific destination is in Cleveland, your friend may be looking at paying to park. Two hours - two and a half hours should do it. If driving one's self, be aware of the potential traffic you may be seeing in rush hour. Otherwise, Interstate 90 is a straight shot, but be advised most of this route is toll. I believe I heard that tolls will increase around October. If driving but the driver doesn't want to pay tolls, Ohio State Route 2 runs along Lake Erie and merges with Interstate 90 after the point tolls are collected on I90--about a half hour to forty-five minutes from Cleveland, I believe.

I think answers most of your questions. If you have more, feel free to post! Safe travels.

Mentioned in this post
Adelaide, South...
Level Contributor
76 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Info between Toledo and Cleveland; and Toledo and Defiance

Gday and BIG BIG thanks for your replies and time!

Who said life should be easy to get one place to another? lol

GREATLY GREATLY appreciate the help as well, while looking at maps, it seems like various palces are not really that far apart and don't think my friend realizes that if he cannot (or unable to drive), it doesn't look like he is going to make Defiance unless he hires a taxi and that would be VERY expensive seeing the distances

Thank you again and also for the suggestion and warning advice re Megabus :)

sometimes people indeed do get what they pay for

When I lived in the States, have travelled on Greyhound AND Amtrak MANY times and always had a pleasant experience (even when the bus broke down and we were delayed overnight in Boston )

Cheers!

Thanks again!

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
5. Re: Info between Toledo and Cleveland; and Toledo and Defiance

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 February 2010, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Toledo