We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Unique places to visit in Toledo

Which Toledo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
15 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Unique places to visit in Toledo

My husband and I will be in town for 2 days this winter... a Saturday and Sunday in Jan. or Feb. Looking for some interesting places in the area to visit... small attractions, stores, restaurants, bakeries, book stores, record shops, romantic/sexy couples type places, indoor attractions at metroparks, bowling or fun centers etc. Places that are unique and maybe not so commercialized or mainsteam. Any suggestions would be great! Thanks!

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Unique places to visit in Toledo

The Toledo Museum of Art has perhaps the best collection of glass artifacts in the world. They are housed in the Glass Pavilion, recognized as one of the world's great 21st century architectural accomplishments. Best of all, admission is free.

If you're in Toledo in late January or early February, especially on a sunny day, consider driving to Maumee Bay State Park or to East Harbor State Park to see a frozen or semi-frozen Lake Erie, especially if you've never seen it before. If you can see the lake while it's in the process of freezing, that's also very interesting and mystical.

maumeebaystateparklodge.com/waters-edge-rest…

If it's really, really cold, consider flying to Put-in-Bay and renting an ice-fishing shack. Very memorable and even romantic in a spartan way, even if you don't like fishing.

Toledo also has a good zoo, although much smaller than the Columbus Zoo.

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Unique places to visit in Toledo

Tony's Packo's is to Toledo, what Schmidt's is to Columbus.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Packo%27s_Cafe

http://www.hollyeats.com/TonyPakos.htm

roadfood.com/Restaurant/…tony-packos

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Unique places to visit in Toledo

I shouldn't have said that the Toledo Zoo is much smaller than the Columbus Zoo. It is smaller, however.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toledo_Zoo

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
15 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Unique places to visit in Toledo

Thanks for the suggestions!

I have had the pleasure of being able to see a frozen Lake Erie many times. It is stunning! Thanks for the ice fishing shack idea, very creative. May have to keep that in mind for in the future.

I think the Toledo Zoo is a beautiful and great zoo but maybe not so much fun in winter. We have also been there 3 times in the past few years with our children.

We already have plans to visit the Art Museum, Tony Packo's, and would also like to eat BD's Mongolian BBQ. But, that's all we have planned so far. Looking for some more interesting things to see or do :)

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
15 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Unique places to visit in Toledo

Still open to suggestions please! :D

Toledo, Oh
Level Contributor
23 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Unique places to visit in Toledo

Check out the metroparks. There are many but I enjoy Oak Openings in the winter. Great for hiking and viewing the different areas. Sidecut and Farnsworth are wonderful for experiencing the Maumee River in winter. Dress warm, but consider hot chocolate as your reward afterwards. Toledo has wonderful restaurants. Check out Levis Commons in Perrysburg for a fun shopping experience with diverse choices for dinner. I like Tea Tree as a choice for a reasonable high quality Chinese cuisine. Bar Louie's is fun for the bar scene as well as a great lunch choice. I second the Art Museum and the zoo, but the Imagination Station is fun to visit too, even as an adult. Oh, check out The 577 Foundation in Perrysburg. Very unique. It has a variety of things for you to see and experience in all seasons. The biosphere is interesting and they have a used book store there that is manned by area non profits. Always something new to enjoy. Perrysburg's main drag has many shops worth visiting, but so does Maumee across the river. Toledo has much to offer a visitor, especially if you are willing to expand beyond the city's borders.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
15 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Unique places to visit in Toledo

Thank you Brnoze! Great suggestions and I will definitely be looking into all of them!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
38 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Unique places to visit in Toledo

Toledo is one of the most depressing places i've ever lived. It's very blue collar and there isnt much to do. I hope you're going for business or family and not vacation.

Buffalo
Destination Expert
for Buffalo
Level Contributor
2,308 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Unique places to visit in Toledo

Jeez, really? Toledo has one of the best art museums and best zoos in the nation, gorgeous metroparks, a fantastic opera company, great summer concerts at the zoo, and authentic, outstanding Mexican food. We love going to Toledo.

Toledo, OH
Level Contributor
871 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Unique places to visit in Toledo

Lots of good suggestions so far! Just wanted to add my favorite bakeries; Michael's Cafe and Bakery (close to downtown) and Wixey Bakery (close to the zoo).