We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Youngstown in a couple of months.

Mechanicsburg...
Level Contributor
1 post
Save Topic
Visiting Youngstown in a couple of months.

Have been reading posts that are 5 plus years old indicating a high crime rate in the city. I am planning on meeting a friend in Youngstown which is midway between her Michigan and my PA home. Appreciate any suggestions, for two females requiring a fairly safe area, for hotel in area accessible to activities or possibly in suburbs or a small town in the area???

5 replies to this topic
Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Youngstown in a couple of months.

As an alternative, consider the Ohio Amish country region just southwest of Canton, Ohio.

experience-ohio-amish-country.com/holmes-cou…

The big attraction in Youngstown is the wonderful Butler Institute of American Art. Consider contacting them and asking for a nearby hotel recommendation, if interested.

http://www.butlerart.com/

Good planning!

Chillicothe, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Sandusky
Level Contributor
3,506 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Youngstown in a couple of months.

I will ditto Trans' suggestion. Youngstown is a pit, Ohioans don't even consider it part of our state, it's really should be known as Western Pennsylvania/Pittsburgh. ;-)

(But no seriously, it's nickname is "The armpit of Ohio")

Go to Amish Country, safe, quiet, relaxing and fun. :-)

Canton, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Garden City Beach, Surfside Beach
Level Contributor
3,606 posts
237 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Youngstown in a couple of months.

Wow! Harsh review for Youngstown IrishLake! Don't worry, we think Cinci could be part of the hoosier state... ;o)

patriay,

Youngstown is known for its crime since it is a steelmill city and almost all the mills left. However, common sense helps out here and keeps most people out of trouble... I got my bachelor and master degrees from Youngstown State and never had any crime issues. I was in Youngstown all hours of the day/night... not joking... Also, I know the YSU area along with downtown Youngstown has been greatly cleaned up since I was there...

What do you and your friend enjoy? There are a few things to do in Youngstown, but depending on what you two enjoy it may be better to meet at a different location since there are many things within an hour or two drive in all directions from Youngstown...

e.g. Amish to the west, Lake Erie to the north, Ohio River towns to the south, beautiful hiking areas to the east & northeast...

If you enjoy amusement parks, I would suggest Cedar Point, Kennywood, or Waldameer.

If you prefer a city with clubs and drinking, you have Cleveland and Pittsburgh...

ohio
Level Contributor
437 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting Youngstown in a couple of months.

I'd suggest staying on the outskirts of Youngstown in Poland. There are some hotels near I-680 which are convenient to restaurants.

marriott.com/hotels/…

I've stayed in this area in the past, and felt quite safe. There are nice things to do in the Youngstown area: I'd suggest the Butler Museum of Art and Mill Creek Park including the Fellows Riverside Gardens which are lovely.

millcreekmetroparks.org/ParksFacilities/nbsp…

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
168 posts
343 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting Youngstown in a couple of months.

I'm a Youngstown native and still have family in the area. happytrails2u is correct about there being a number of nice things in the area. Butler is an internationally known museum, and Mill Creek Park is lovely. You might also check out Poland, Canfield and Boardman, suburbs that have nice shops, restaurants, and parks.

There's a Holiday Inn on South Avenue and Rt 224 (Boardman/Poland area) that is very nice. . . stayed there last year for my niece's wedding. You can walk to restaurants and, more importantly, to Handel's Ice Cream. Check out the reviews of both here on TA.

If you're on FB, you might want to check out the "I Used to Live in Youngstown, Ohio" page for information, too.

https:/…

One final thought . . . There are good and bad parts in any city. Just be careful no matter where you are.

Reply to: Visiting Youngstown in a couple of months.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted