We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help need advice - Hockey in Youngstown

Which Youngstown hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Help need advice - Hockey in Youngstown

We are coming to Youngstown for Thanksgiving week and going to the hockey games - is the area near the hockey arena safe to drive through? we are staying near the I-80. need some restaurant advice as well. Thanks for your help!

Youngstown Ohio
2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Help need advice - Hockey in Youngstown

Jeez.. I don't understand some of the other posts here...Can't understand why some people go out of their way to scare off visitors...

I've lived and raised a family just a few blocks from the new arena, In one of the "bighted" areas these other people are afraid to drive through. I hope you take my advice...

The Chevy Center and Downtown Youngstown are perfectly safe and will be when you are there. The streets and highway entrances are well marked and easy to access. Keep in mind a lot of people work at the hospital, courthouses and University and the streets are designed to handle a lot more traffic than you'll be experiencing. There's ample parking around the arena and you'll be fine. In addition, The Downtown area itself is pretty compact, and most streets are two-way: it's pretty hard to get lost and end up in a "bad" area.

I-80? I like the Youngstown Crab Company and the Westfork, But I usually eat at a chain restaurant in Boardman (224.) It's just more convenient to me.

We used to eat at Cedar's cafe for lunch right downtown all the time...It's a nice place with a pretty funky menu and features art for sale by local artists. There's a few newer places downtown too catering to the new Arena, but I haven't really been able to try them yet.

I would recommend sightseeing a little before the game. Other people have mentioned the Butler...It's got some famous American works, A technology wing with better installations than the Wexner in Columbus and is free. Also, Across the stree is the Weird looking McDonough, which features "modern" art and works by faculty and students of the University.

The Ward Beecher Planetarium Has a new Star Projector a new full dome video. We were just there for the halloween lazer show and they said they'll hae special programs Thanksgiving Weekend to show it off.--Free too.

Other posters mentioned Mill Creek...Actually this one is best with a local guide...check out the website if you have time. Mill Creek park sprawls all over the place...it's easy to get lost or turned around and come out into some scary neighborhoods.

Youngstown Ohio
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Help need advice - Hockey in Youngstown

Jeez.. I don't understand some of the other posts here...Can't understand why some people go out of their way to scare off visitors...

I've lived and raised a family just a few blocks from the new arena, In one of the "bighted" areas these other people are afraid to drive through. I hope you take my advice...

The Chevy Center and Downtown Youngstown are perfectly safe and will be when you are there. The streets and highway entrances are well marked and easy to access. Keep in mind a lot of people work at the hospital, courthouses and University and the streets are designed to handle a lot more traffic than you'll be experiencing. There's ample parking around the arena and you'll be fine. In addition, The Downtown area itself is pretty compact, and most streets are two-way: it's pretty hard to get lost and end up in a "bad" area.

I-80? I like the Youngstown Crab Company and the Westfork, But I usually eat at a chain restaurant in Boardman (224.) It's just more convenient to me.

We used to eat at Cedar's cafe for lunch right downtown all the time...It's a nice place with a pretty funky menu and features art for sale by local artists. There's a few newer places downtown too catering to the new Arena, but I haven't really been able to try them yet.

I would recommend sightseeing a little before the game. Other people have mentioned the Butler...It's got some famous American works, A technology wing with better installations than the Wexner in Columbus and is free. Also, Across the stree is the Weird looking McDonough, which features "modern" art and works by faculty and students of the University.

The Ward Beecher Planetarium Has a new Star Projector a new full dome video. We were just there for the halloween lazer show and they said they'll hae special programs Thanksgiving Weekend to show it off.--Free too.

Other posters mentioned Mill Creek...Actually this one is best with a local guide...check out the website if you have time. Mill Creek park sprawls all over the place...it's easy to get lost or turned around and come out into some scary neighborhoods.

Youngstown
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Help need advice - Hockey in Youngstown

The new Chevrolet Centre is awesome, and the hockey games are a good time. The downtown area is fine driving through. We stay at the Fairfield Inn and Suites in Austintown, which has a wonderful and accomodating staff. The new Quaker Steak & Lube, which is brand new, is right across the road. They are known locally for their wings and ribs. : )

4. Re: Help need advice - Hockey in Youngstown

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 August 2009, 20:16