We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1492 - New World Latin Cuisine in MIdtown

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
732 posts
Save Topic
1492 - New World Latin Cuisine in MIdtown

Has anyone eaten at this new restaurant in Midtown?

It sounds fantastic according to a recent article in the Daily Oklahoman. I can't wait to try it.

Fusion Latin American as well as Tex Mex and Mex Mex.

1492okc.com

I would love to hear some comments.

Oklahoma City...
Destination Expert
for Oklahoma City
Level Contributor
1,970 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1492 - New World Latin Cuisine in MIdtown

The menu sounds good...

Now, who's going to be the first one to try it?

:)

Oklahoma City, OK
Level Contributor
2 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1492 - New World Latin Cuisine in MIdtown

I have been to 1492, ummmm disappointing to say the least. It reminded me of a more expensive Ted's Cafe Escondido's. The menu was boring. I was really hoping for something different than the usual enchiladas, tacos and burrito's covered in cheese sauce. The Oklahoman article inticed me to try this place and I will never be going back. My lunch, and mind you it was LUNCH, was over 15 bucks and I didn't order a soda or an appitizer. The place looks posh from the outside, but it's down right a let down. Safe yourself the time and money- go almost across the street to Cafe de Brazil. Much better food and the cost is, for lunch, less than this place.

There is NO fusion to the menu. The menu combines some unique flavoring, but don't let the hype mislead you.

Oklahoma City...
Destination Expert
for Oklahoma City
Level Contributor
1,970 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1492 - New World Latin Cuisine in MIdtown

Thanks for the review. I was really wanting to try the duck enchiladas, but now I may wait until I see a coupon or a special offer before trying it.

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
732 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 1492 - New World Latin Cuisine in MIdtown

Thanks for the review, apfulk. I am really disappointed.

We did like Cafe do Brasil several months ago. Will definitely return there sometime

....and await reports of improvement of 1492.

oklahoma
Level Contributor
1 post
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1492 - New World Latin Cuisine in MIdtown

I actually loved it! I work in the area and I go with my coworkers at leasr 2x a week for lunch. It is a reasonable price of 9.00 even for any lunch special. Portions are generous and we receive our food within 8-10 minutes of sitting down. The salsa and chips are great as well. I can't wait to try them for dinner. Free Valet parking is a plus as well, especially for the girls at lunchtime and when it is raining. I can't wait to take my hubby! I would try the cheese enchilada's and shredded beef taco or the cilantro burrito. Amazing!

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
732 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 1492 - New World Latin Cuisine in MIdtown

I hate to be suspicious but...well, the previous post gives me pause.

The combination of first-time poster and not exactly authentic sounding comments makes me skeptical.

My husband and I did try 1492 in January and our experience was very similar to Apfulk's. I would add that the salsa and chips were particularly bad. Who knew chips and salsa could be messed up!

I didn't have the heart to post my negative comments at the time, wanting to give the management an opportunity for improvement.

I do note that Apfulk was a first time poster as well, but his/her remarks sounded authentic to me.

The fusion concept is wonderful; I hope 1492 will make some significant improvements; and if indeed it is true they already have, good for them and my best wishes.

oklahoma
Level Contributor
221 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1492 - New World Latin Cuisine in MIdtown

I have not tried this resturaunt but a poster said similar to teds i will say the teds in norman is no where near as good as tarahumaras (sp?) It is refreshing and authentic and the owner is often on the floor and even waiting on customers!

Moore, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
14 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1492 - New World Latin Cuisine in MIdtown

I ate there last night. I was disappointed in it. I got a chicken enchilada and a cheese enchilada. The cheese enchilada was decent, but the chicken enchilada was dry and bland. My husband's food (some kind of shrimp taquitos, which were actually more like soft tacos) was also pretty flavorless. I would have much rather spent the money over at Cafe Do Brazil.

Oklahoma City
Level Contributor
81 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: 1492 - New World Latin Cuisine in MIdtown

Note to first time posters: if you want to appear authentic, do not mention another restaurant's name.

Moore, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
14 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 1492 - New World Latin Cuisine in MIdtown

urabokcadvisor,

That comment was unnecessary. I thought the point of these forums was for people to give their honest opinion on places. If someone I knew was going to go to 1492, I would tell them it isn't worth it, and to walk across the street.

I'm not a first time poster, and yes, I feel that Cafe do Brazil, which is directly across the street, is much more worth the money.

It is so common for people to recommend similar restaurant that are better. In fact, you have done the same thing.

This is a quote from you:

"it's neighbor PF Changs and/or Pei Wei are tops IMO."

Get answers to your questions about Oklahoma City