We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bricktown on Memorial Day Weekend

DFW (HEB), TX
Level Contributor
70 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Bricktown on Memorial Day Weekend

Hello all. Could use some expert advice. Planning on staying in OKC on Memorial Day Weekend. Never been there before. Heard good things about Bricktown and we decided we want to stay at a hotel IN Bricktown so we could walk to everything. It's a family of four consisting of myself, my wife, our 11 yr old son, and 7 yr old daughter. Any help would be appreciated. The other posts IO've read are much older so things may have changed. Thanks in advance.

Oklahoma City...
Destination Expert
for Oklahoma City
Level Contributor
1,986 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bricktown on Memorial Day Weekend

The hotels available within walking distance of bricktown (anywhere from 1 to 6 blocks) are (in general order of quality IMO):

THE SKIRVIN HILTON, 1 Park Ave, Oklahoma City, OK 73102, 800-804-6835

COLCORD HOTEL, 15 N. Robinson, Oklahoma City, OK 73102, 405-601-4300

COURTYARD BY MARRIOTT, 2 W Reno Ave, Oklahoma City, OK 73102, 800-804-6835

RENAISSANCE, 10 N Broadway Ave, Oklahoma City, OK 73102, 800-804-6835

RESIDENCE INN, 400 E Reno Ave, Oklahoma City, OK 73104, 800-804-6835

SHERATON, 1 N Broadway Ave, Oklahoma City, OK 73102, 800-804-6835

None of these will be inexpensive, especially on a holiday weekend. Check Tripadvisor and Hotels.com for customer comments.

One word of caution: If you truly want to be inside Bricktown so you don't have to take out the car, beware of hotels advertising themselves as 'Bricktown'. Many of them are two or more miles away. Check Mapquest for directions from the hotel address to the AT&T Bricktown Ballpark, 2 S. Mickey Mantle Drive, Oklahoma City, OK 73104. If it's close to that it's close to Bricktown.

Good luck!

DFW (HEB), TX
Level Contributor
70 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bricktown on Memorial Day Weekend

Thanks!! That was very helpful and I will definitely look into your suggestions. I heard about the evil Bricktown Hotel which is nowhere near Bricktown, but thanks for the warning.

Oklahoma City...
Destination Expert
for Oklahoma City
Level Contributor
1,986 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bricktown on Memorial Day Weekend

The Bricktown Hotel and Convention center is about two miles away - and not through some of the better neighborhoods, so it's not exactly what I would call walking distance. But they do have a shuttle and from recent reports the renovated rooms really are nice. (A local radio station had an event there last weekend and some of the people I know that work at the station and stayed the night thought the place was "nice.")

But lately there appears to be a lot more hotels adding 'Bricktown' in their descriptions or as 'convenient to'.

:)

DFW (HEB), TX
Level Contributor
70 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bricktown on Memorial Day Weekend

Just the same, I'm going to play it safe and avoid the Bricktown Hotel. Shuttle or not, I'm not going to put my family in a bad area.

DFW (HEB), TX
Level Contributor
70 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bricktown on Memorial Day Weekend

Modcon, could you you or someone else list the hotels you mentioned by distance to Bricktown. Thanks in advance. I'm almost certain it will be one of those we will go for.

Oklahoma City...
Destination Expert
for Oklahoma City
Level Contributor
1,986 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bricktown on Memorial Day Weekend

From the hotels to the intersection of Sheridan and Oklahoma Ave, the distances are:

THE SKIRVIN HILTON: About .4 mile (4 blocks)

COLCORD HOTEL: About .3 mile (3 blocks)

COURTYARD BY MARRIOTT: About .3 mile (3 blocks)

RENAISSANCE: About .2 mile (2 blocks)

RESIDENCE INN: About .4 mile (4 blocks) - although this hotel is techinically IN Bricktown.

SHERATON: About .3 mile (3 blocks)

In reality, each hotel is a 10-minute or less leisurely walk to the heart of Bricktown

Elkins, West...
Level Contributor
359 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bricktown on Memorial Day Weekend

I'll just add a couple of items to Modcon's excellent information. First, having stayed in both, I would say that the rooms at the Colcord are larger and more well appointed than the rooms at the Skirvin, but the public area amenities are much more user friendly at the Skirvin. Both are excellent old hotels which have recently undergone extensive renovations, but 4 people in my room at the Skirvin would have been tight.

Second, regarding distance, only Courtyard and Residence Inn are actually within the boundaries of the area known as Bricktown. The others are across the tracks, in the downtown area. The walks are short and easily negotiated, but if you're wanting to be right in the middle of things, only two hotels qualify.

Oklahoma City...
Destination Expert
for Oklahoma City
Level Contributor
1,986 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bricktown on Memorial Day Weekend

I agree with twoprofs. The Courtyard and Residence are the only ones actually 'in Bricktown' and the closests hotels to the ballpark. But IMO the Renaissance and Sheraton are not any further from the main entertainment area of Bricktown.

I do want to say one thing regarding the "across the tracks" comment - just to be clear, the tracks twoprofs mentioned are elevated and you walk under them on sidewalks along the streets that lead into Bricktown from the West.

I thought saying across the tracks would give the wrong impression unless you are familiar with the area.

Finally, from a central location standpoint, the Colcord and Skirvin are probably better. They are pretty equidistant to not only to Bricktown, but also the Murrah Bombing memorial (http://www.oklahomacitynationalmemorial.org), the OKC Museum of Art (www.okcmoa.com), the Central Library (www.mls.lib.ok.us/mls/mls_library/dn.htm), the Myriad Gardens/Crystal Bridge (http://www.myriadgardens.com/index.html), and other downtown attractions,including the Automobile Alley district (http://www.automobilealley.org).

Have fun! There really is a lot to see and do in our fair city.

Elkins, West...
Level Contributor
359 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bricktown on Memorial Day Weekend

Spot on, modcon. I meant "across the tracks" literally, not metaphorically; sorry for any unintended implications. I've walked the area many times and do not worry for my safety, either inside or outside Bricktown itself.

And yes, hotel distances are about equal. I was merely pointing out the difference between being "inside" the Bricktown action and being "near by." Personally, I can think of a number of reasons why "near by" would be preferable; I just wanted thullraven to know the difference. I didn't mean to disagree with you, only to provide some additional information.

Oklahoma City...
Destination Expert
for Oklahoma City
Level Contributor
1,986 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bricktown on Memorial Day Weekend

twoprofs

I never thought you were disagreeing. I just wanted to make sure Thullraven understood the layout of the area. I wasn't even thinking of the negative meaning 'accross the tracks' has. I was more concerned about making sure he knew it was an elevated and not an at grade crossing.

And I totally agree with the "In and Out of Bricktown" difference. Personally, if I was coming from out of town and price wasn't an issue and a room was available, I'd stay at the Colcord or Skirvin any day.

Get answers to your questions about Oklahoma City