We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help finding museum

Alabama USA
Level Contributor
255 posts
79 reviews
Save Topic
Help finding museum

A friend long ago told me about a museum showing the pioneers settling in the old west with pairie schooners and old west relics, I thought it was in Ok. City. If not there where is the place located? any help will be appreciated, thank you danny and Kay I know he said OK.

Bartlesville...
Level Contributor
941 posts
343 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help finding museum

Most likely, your friend was referring to the National Cowboy and Western Heritage Museum in OKC. Here's their webpage.

www.nationalcowboymuseum.org/default.aspx

It's been a while since I've visited, and I'm not sure if prarie schooners are part of the permanent collection, but this would be the most likely place for such an exhibition. It's a very nice museum. For another old-west museum, check out Woolaroc, near Bartlesville, OK. Here's the web address for that one.

http://www.woolaroc.org/

The Woolaroc Museum features a lot of the history of the Oklahoma oil business and Phillips 66, but most of it is dedicated to western and Native American art and artifacts. Not so much on prarie settlement. I don't remember ever seeing a schooner there.

Oklahoma City...
Destination Expert
for Oklahoma City
Level Contributor
1,997 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help finding museum

It's been awhile since I was there as well. There used to be a whole floor (the basement?) with replicas of old towns along with the authentic stuff found in the buildings, prairie schooners, and other relics of the west, but I think it was gone the last time I went.

Still, the Western Heritage Museum is a place to see when in OKC.

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
744 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Help finding museum

I think your friend was talking about a permanent collection at the National Cowboy and Western Heritage Musuem which the previous posters referred to. It is called Properity Junction and is a replica of a turn of the century cattle town.

nationalcowboymuseum.org/collections/Permane…

I'm posting this in case you haven't had a chance to visit the museum website or in case you missed this part of the website.

I haven't been there for some time and assuming it is still open. You might call just to check.

Oklahoma City...
Destination Expert
for Oklahoma City
Level Contributor
1,997 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help finding museum

Sofibella,

That's the exhibit I was thinking of. It looks like it was still there the last time the website was updated.

:)

Oklahoma City
Level Contributor
105 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help finding museum

Another attraction your friend might have been referring to (and definitely would interest you either way) is Harn Homestead.

Harn Homestead is near the state capitol and is a large indoor/outdoor museum preserving frontier/territorial life in Oklahoma. It features historic structures ranging from an old farmhouse to a barn and an original schoolhouse. All the buildings and the grounds are complete with original furniture, artifacts and details. It's definitely worth a visit if you are interested in pioneers and the old west.

Edmond, OK
Level Contributor
114 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help finding museum

If you haven't been to Oklahoma yet and your looking for a good museum I would recommend the Chisholm Trail Heritage Center Museum www.onthechisholmtrail.com in Duncan. It is almost two hours south of OKC so depending on what you have going it may not work for you but I found it very enjoyable! It is on the small side but it very cool. Hope you enjoy your visit here!

chicago
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Help finding museum

I think it's http://www.nationalcowboymuseum.org/ for sure.It's located on 63rd st olkahoma city & if you are looking for good museums in olkahoma city just visit following link for more details www.yellowpages.com/Oklahoma-City-OK/Museums

8. Re: Help finding museum

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 August 2009, 05:24