We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ASA Hall of Fame Stadium & Rest Areas

Indiana
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Topic
ASA Hall of Fame Stadium & Rest Areas

We will be travelling thru OKC enroute from IN to AZ and my 17yo softball junkie desperately wants to see the diamonds where the College World Series is played. Checked the map and it's close to the highway, so I have no problem stopping. However, we'll be going thru on Christmas Day so obviously the nearby museum will be closed.

Does anyone know if the parking area around the diamonds is locked up when not in use? I can't imagine the stadiums themselves would be open for anyone to walk in, but just being able to look thru the fence would make her happy :) Could we pull in, park, and walk around a bit?

In addition, does anyone know if there is a rest area or somewhere else east of town we could park for a few hours and doze? Our current schedule would have us hitting OKC around 4:30am, and obviously it would be a little hard to see anything then :) Typically when we drive, I just drive during the wee hours of the morning until I can't drive any more, then pull off into a rest area or somewhere safe looking (parking lot or something) and sleep for a bit. The rest of the family is already asleep and usually never even knows we've stopped, LOL. I suspect I'll hit the "too tired to drive" point somwhere between Tulsa and OKC, but don't know if there is anywhere easy and safe to doze for a bit along there.

I know a hotel is the logical solution, lol, but from past experience, it's not worth getting everyone woke up and out of the car for the minimal sleep I'd get once inside - much easier to let everyone keep sleeping in the car if I can find a place to pull off the road.

Thanks so much for any assistance!

Oklahoma City...
Destination Expert
for Oklahoma City
Level Contributor
2,001 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ASA Hall of Fame Stadium & Rest Areas

If you are coming from Tulsa to OKC you will be on I-44, which is the Turner Turnpike. Any of the larger well-lit rest stops on the 'pike should be perfectly safe for a few hours rest.

…state.ok.us/hqdiv/…turnpike.pdf

The Stroud or Wellston service areas will probably be the best choices.

You should contact the ASA to see about accessing the grounds on Christmas day.

(405) 424-5266

Good luck!

Indiana
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: ASA Hall of Fame Stadium & Rest Areas

Thanks for the link and info - much appreciated!

3. Re: ASA Hall of Fame Stadium & Rest Areas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 March 2010, 07:17