We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Oklahoma City...
Destination Expert
for Oklahoma City
Level Contributor
1,990 posts
129 reviews
Save Topic
Safety in Bricktown OKC

Over the past week there has been two shootings in Bricktown. Both have taken place after 11 PM.

Due to these developments I feel I must recant my assurances that Bricktown is perfectly safe at any time of the evening.

Should visitors to OKC want to make Bricktown a stop I suggest they do so early evening or daytime and with others. In short, take normal precautions and stay aware of your surroundings.

I am personally sorry for these developments as Bricktown is a nice area that was and still could be a jewel for OKC. But in order for that to happen the city needs to make sure people can feel secure when visiting the area.

I personally hope the city fathers quickly take the necessary steps to make sure these types of incidents are rare, if not non-existent.

Oklahoma City...
Destination Expert
for Oklahoma City
Level Contributor
1,990 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety in Bricktown OKC

Apparently the city has taken notice.

A news report stated they are stepping up police presence in Bricktown and in "Thunder Alley" (the area in front of the Arena.)

Hopefully this will bring the entire downtown area back into the realm of "safe at all times."

:)

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Safety in Bricktown OKC

The Thunder being in the NBA playoffs has brought out the best and worst of bricktown. Yet another example of how a few out of control people can ruin a good thing for everyone. I will second the above advice. Bricktown is a great place to go during the day. Plenty of places to eat and plenty of things to do and rarely any problems at all. I would find somewhere else to go at night. If you do go to an event in bricktown at night...get in, and get out. There is police presence, but there will never be as many officers as their are troublemakers.

Norman
Level Contributor
13 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safety in Bricktown OKC

While I wouldn't personally wander around Bricktown after staying to last call and closing down a club, anything short of that wouldn't cause me any great level of concern. There are certainly many less safe places to be in the greater metro than being in Bricktown between 4 pm and 1 am

Oklahoma City...
Destination Expert
for Oklahoma City
Level Contributor
1,990 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safety in Bricktown OKC

True. And there appears to be a larger police presence lately. So the city is doing the right things or its entertainment district.

Oklahoma City
Level Contributor
16 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safety in Bricktown OKC

The problem is EVENTS.

If they start advertising EVENTS - Cinco de Mayo, Halloween, NBA Playoffs, Easter??? - the City just isn't prepared for the kind of people who come into Bricktown and mess everything up. It's been this way since the first MAPS.

When the City throws a party - "Opening Night" / New Year's Eve - they have planned and they are prepared. Absolutely nothing happens. And they also plan for "regular" every night crowds. It is CRAZY to suggest any regular night isn't fun, safe and secure. 90% of the nights the REST of Oklahoma City has a double, triple or higher crime rate than Bricktown and downtown. (Fact. Look it up.)

When there is a "special event" then, yes, you need to be careful.

Of course, "careful" means what you would do in DallasNewYorkMiamiLosAngelesChicago at any given MOMENT!

Oklahoma City...
Destination Expert
for Oklahoma City
Level Contributor
1,990 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safety in Bricktown OKC

…newsok.com/okccentral/…

Yes, over all, Bricktown is safe. But as the article/blog shows there are times other than "special events" when you should take extra care a la DallasNewYorkMiamiLAChicago. And, yes, the city is taking steps to reduce those times as much as realistically possible.

That is the main point of this thread: not that Bricktown is dangerous, but that, as with any entertainment district, one should possibly avoid and stay aware of the surroundings and people during certain times of the later evening.

Hope that clarifies things.

Suwanee, Georgia
Level Contributor
97 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Safety in Bricktown OKC

I have made reservations for the Hampton Inn Bricktown for this upcoming June. Should I consider a different location? We will be two over-60 females. We aren't especially interested in nightlife but want to be close to things to do. Should we consider moving closer to the Western Heritage Museum? It has to be a Hilton brand. Thanks.

Oklahoma City...
Destination Expert
for Oklahoma City
Level Contributor
1,990 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Safety in Bricktown OKC

Stay where you have the reservations.

Bricktown is perfectly safe for the most part- unless you like to party late and drink To excess.

;)

What sort of activites are you ladies planning? We should be able to help with your plans.

Suwanee, Georgia
Level Contributor
97 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Safety in Bricktown OKC

IWe will arrive around 2:00 PM, so I thought we'd check in, freshen up a bit, and head to the canal for a boat ride and photography, then go to the National Memorial later. We are having a big lunch at Marie Callender's in Norman on the way, so we'll just want a light dinner. The next day we are definitely going to the Cowboy and Western Heritage Museum. I thought about Stockyards City, but research doesn't show much there except shopping. I'd rather spend our time either in museums or maybe the botanical gardens. We're not great sports fans, so a ballgame doesn't interest us; nor does clubbing. We like to experience the culture of places we visit. Recommendations are welcome for places of interest as well as restaurants close to the areas we're visiting or close to the hotel. Thanks!

Oklahoma City...
Destination Expert
for Oklahoma City
Level Contributor
1,990 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Safety in Bricktown OKC

Most of the places you mention are downtown. and thus close to Bricktown.

www.bricktownokc.com/index.php…

There is the OKC Museum of Art:

www.okcmoa.com

And the memorial:

http://www.oklahomacitynationalmemorial.org/

There is also the Oklahoma History Center:

http://www.okhistory.org/historycenter/index

And since you are planning to be in Norman, try the Sam Noble Museum:

http://www.snomnh.ou.edu/

You might enjoy the Overholser Mansion:

www.okhistory.org/sites/overholsermansion.php

Or the Harn Homestead:

http://www.harnhomestead.com/

Here is a list of many of the museums in Oklahoma . Just click on the "Town/City" column header and scroll to Oklahoma City in that column.

The link I gave you for Bricktown covers places to eat, but if you could give us an idea of the types of food you might want to try we could recommend specific restaurants. Besides Bricktown there are some fine restaurants in Midtown - about a 5-10 minute drive from Bricktown; The Western Ave district - about 10-15 minutes; and on 23rd Street just west of the capitol - about 10 minutes.

Get answers to your questions about Oklahoma City