We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tornado/Storm Chasers...Which company to go with...???

B.C. Canada
Level Contributor
147 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Tornado/Storm Chasers...Which company to go with...???

Greetings from Canada.

My husband is a HUGE fan of storm chasing and meteorological events. I'd like to buy him a tour on a storm chasing tour for Christmas and many seem to be based out of Oklahoma City or Denver.

Does anyone know if certain companies are better than others? All I have is the internet so would appreciate any local information. The sites that I've read are: "Storm Chasing Adventure Tours" and "Exteme Tornado Experience"...

Any and all information or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much.

Oklahoma City...
Destination Expert
for Oklahoma City
Level Contributor
1,992 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tornado/Storm Chasers...Which company to go with...???

Since you asked for advice, although I believe this is not what you were looking for:

I won't recommend any type of "tourist storm chasing." It is a dangerous task to chase severe weather and tornadoes, as was demonstrated this past season as several seasoned storm chasers were injured and three were killed when a tornado abruptly changed direction.

…go.com/US/…

Ask Reed Timmer the main meteorologist on Discovery's "Storm Chasers", who has also been injured chasing, what he thinks of "tourist storm chasing."

Edited: 25 November 2013, 20:49
Waukesha, Wisconsin
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Tornado/Storm Chasers...Which company to go with...???

There are several good tourist chasing groups. Silver Lining Tours, StormChaser Tours, Cloud 9 Tours, are some of those that are recognized as good tours. Each tour from the different groups is in itself different. Some are tornado tours, some are storm and general photography tours. You really need to look at when he'd be going first. Then look for a tour that fits what he is looking for from the different tours. A word of warning, most tours from the more reputable groups fill up almost a year in advanced unless you get one last minute.

The difference between the tour groups and what occured outside of El Reno, OK this last year are the three that were killed were not chasers, they were scientists who were chasing, doing scientific research that required them to be up close and personal with the tornadoes. No storm chasing tour group ever gets that close on purpose.

Oklahoma City...
Destination Expert
for Oklahoma City
Level Contributor
1,992 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tornado/Storm Chasers...Which company to go with...???

Key words: "on purpose"

What you said goes for the scientists as well. They didn't puposely get that close.

Tornados are unpredictable. There is no such thing as safe storm chasing.

It's only a matter of time before someone doing so as a thrill is killed.

Sorry to completely disagree with you. As I said, ask Reed Timmer about storm chasing tours.

;)

Oklahoma City
Level Contributor
397 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tornado/Storm Chasers...Which company to go with...???

Modcon,

I was curious to Reed's thoughts on storm chasing tours. I found http://extremetornadotours.com/ that he owns and runs. Not trying to be contrary but it looks like Reed makes money from Tornado chasing tours. I would be curious to hear what you are referring to when you say "ask Reed Timmer about storm chasing tours"

Oklahoma City...
Destination Expert
for Oklahoma City
Level Contributor
1,992 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tornado/Storm Chasers...Which company to go with...???

I thought he wasn't going to be part of those after the May tornadoes. He kept emphasizing how dangerous it really is, even for seasoned professionals like him. I guess money really does speak louder than words. (Unless his company stays so far away with those tours they don't really give people what they are looking for?)

That's what I get for not following up to see if he would match his actions to his words.

So don't ask him. It's till not safe and most professionals discourage it - uness they can make a buck off it, I guess.

:)

Edited: 19 February 2014, 23:22
Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
60 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tornado/Storm Chasers...Which company to go with...???

Actually, it is quite safe. You Will have a blast!! Wish I was going with you!

London, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tornado/Storm Chasers...Which company to go with...???

Chasing is great fun if you go with the right people.

I've been with Tempest Tours and they put safety first. If there is no safe route away from a storm, they won't take you there and they keep a safe distance with a good view which is easier on the plains with no trees and flat open space.

I saw some amazing things and will definitely go back. Book a longer tour if you can as obviously you can't force Mother Nature to generate storms every day so, the longer you are out there, the more you are likely to see some amazing things. On the down days they will always take you to some interesting places.

As for Reed Timmer, not sure what he said about not chasing after the May tornadoes but I saw his company chasing and running tours on the plains this year and he has been promoting his chasing company at various events. He doesn't travel with each of his tours though although he does still chase himself.

Chasing is not necessarily what you see on Storm Chasers or in the movie Twister. You can get chasing insurance from Betins in the US and Dogtag in the UK. I got it from Dogtag and it wasn't much more expensive than ordinary travel insurance.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
3,723 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tornado/Storm Chasers...Which company to go with...???

As a native Okie, I understand the fascination with tornadoes, but I would have an awfully hard time putting my life in the hands of someone I did not know, and know them VERY well. AND know that they had a good deal of real knowledge about tornadic storms. As said before, tornadoes are highly unpredictable, and especially in the last several years, monster tornadoes have blown up inordinately fast. Just sayin', you might want to be sure you're ready to meet your Maker……… :-) Oh, and also, a car/vehicle is one of the very WORST places to be in a tornado……."Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound"……… ;-)

B.C. Canada
Level Contributor
147 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tornado/Storm Chasers...Which company to go with...???

Thank you Southerngirl528. I totally agree with you and have rethought the whole thing. Watching on TV is scary enough. Thx for taking the time to answer.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
3,723 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tornado/Storm Chasers...Which company to go with...???

You are most welcome, CanuckMama. :-) You know, odds are you would be fine. But being in a car within close sight of tornadoes is just plain risky. When are you going to be in Oklahoma? Depending on when you plan on being there, you could possibly see some action anyway! LOL! Or was your DH just going to go for a storm chase tour? Spring is the prime season for tornadoes, because any time you get warm moist air masses meeting cold fronts, you've got a recipe for twisters!

Get answers to your questions about Oklahoma City
Recent Conversations