We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tornado/Storm Chasers...Which company to go with...???

Which Oklahoma City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
B.C. Canada
Level Contributor
147 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Tornado/Storm Chasers...Which company to go with...???

Greetings from Canada.

My husband is a HUGE fan of storm chasing and meteorological events. I'd like to buy him a tour on a storm chasing tour for Christmas and many seem to be based out of Oklahoma City or Denver.

Does anyone know if certain companies are better than others? All I have is the internet so would appreciate any local information. The sites that I've read are: "Storm Chasing Adventure Tours" and "Exteme Tornado Experience"...

Any and all information or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much.

11. Re: Tornado/Storm Chasers...Which company to go with...???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 June 2014, 16:02
Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
3,710 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Tornado/Storm Chasers...Which company to go with...???

Hi Stormchasergene. I wish you and your business the very best, but it is against TA rules to advertise in the forums, so your post will likely be disappearing very soon….

Oklahoma City
Level Contributor
9 posts
234 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Tornado/Storm Chasers...Which company to go with...???

Have you checked in to Tornadovideos.net ? You can see the chases and weather as it is happening. Many have dash cams on while chasing. Extreme seems to be in the right place most of the time when severe weather erupts. I have chased storms in the past and adrenalin rush can be great. I have also found myself along with other chasers, in very scary situations. I live in an Apartment in Moore, Ok and lost everything I own in last years May 20th F-5. A week later I was at work when the El Reno storm came in and I fount myself trying to get away from it. The El Reno storm is a perfect example of how unpredictable these wonders of nature can be as we lost a great Tornado Scientist and his son. there were also other chasers that were severely injured. Joining a chase group as a tourist is entirely up the individual, but please research as much as you can and be aware of the dangers that are involved. Even the best can and have been injured or killed chasing these monsters.

Hope this helps. Good Luck

2 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Tornado/Storm Chasers...Which company to go with...???

Reed timer has a storm chase tour company but in my opinion his are overpriced probably due to his reputation and name. There are a few chasing tours, they're all going to be good, I can't see anybody being confident in leading a tour who isn't competent enough to forecast.

I agree though a storm chasing tour is dangerous, and may not even pay off. As competent as the chase team can be at forecasting anything can cause a bust day , you may not even get close enough to the storm to even enjoy it, and on average only 1 in 10 chases results in a tornado...so again the price you pay has a high risk of not paying off

If you're still interested regardless of the risk factors shoot for middle to late May to schedule one as that's the most active period for severe weather statistically

2 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Tornado/Storm Chasers...Which company to go with...???

Reed timer has a storm chase tour company but in my opinion his are overpriced probably due to his reputation and name. There are a few chasing tours, they're all going to be good, I can't see anybody being confident in leading a tour who isn't competent enough to forecast.

I agree though a storm chasing tour is dangerous, and may not even pay off. As competent as the chase team can be at forecasting anything can cause a bust day , you may not even get close enough to the storm to even enjoy it, and on average only 1 in 10 chases results in a tornado...so again the price you pay has a high risk of not paying off

If you're still interested regardless of the risk factors shoot for middle to late May to schedule one as that's the most active period for severe weather statistically

Edited: 23 September 2014, 06:32
Oklahoma City...
Destination Expert
for Oklahoma, Grove
Level Contributor
4,934 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Tornado/Storm Chasers...Which company to go with...???

As a life long resident of Oklahoma, I would never recommend these tours OR anyone chasing in their own. The news media and company owners like to tout how the new technology and science has made tornado's predictable. They are absolutely NOT!

This past spring, I was sitting in my home with the TV on, no tornado watches or warnings and, importantly, it didn't ~feel~ like bad weather. But suddenly the wind started whipping around from all directions and the sky turned a greenish color and I grabbed the dogs and bounded down the stairs to the basement for shelter. It was over in 2 minutes and when I came out, trees were uprooted, roofs were damaged, and docks were broken. It was a rouge tornado which later reformed and caused additional damage northwest of me. Believe me when I tell you they are unpredictable!

17. Re: Tornado/Storm Chasers...Which company to go with...???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 September 2015, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about Oklahoma City