We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

two nights in Ok city

Taunton, United...
Level Contributor
27 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
two nights in Ok city

Hi. My husband and I will be on a roadtrip and stopping over in Ok city for two nights.

We love walking to see everything so could you please tell us where is the best area to stay. We are from England so this is our first visit and we want to do the touristy things, museums, shop, (love Macys), and just wander to see the sights. We are not into nightlife so just an area with a choice of nice eateries.

Any help on the area to stay to do the above on foot would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Yvonne

Oklahoma City...
Destination Expert
for Oklahoma City
Level Contributor
1,970 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: two nights in Ok city

Unfortunately you can't do even a fourth of what you list on foot. You will have to use your vehicle. The good news is that OKC is easy to get around.

The two best hotels in OKC are downtown: the Colcord and the Skirvin. They are aso the most expensive. There are other hotels downtown that are very good and less expensive. Downtown has Bricktown, the Myriad Gardens, the Murrah bombing memorial, the OKC Museum of Art and restaurants.

A short drive north is the Oklahoma History Center and a little further north of that is the Western Heritage Museum and Cowboy Hall. About 30 minutes drive south in Norman is the Sam Noble Museum and Fred Jones Museum of Art.

There is also The Paseo Arts District, a small arts area with galleries and restaurants near 30th street And Walker ave.

Shopping can be found a short drive north and west at Penn Square Mall. Or you can walk around in the Western Avenue District between 36th street and Wilshire Blvd along Western Ave., or head to 16th and Blackwelder to walk the Plaza Arts District. Further north is Quail Springs Mall with hotels along Memorial Road.

Check this URL: visitokc.com/visitor-info/…

Good luck!

Edited: 17 January 2014, 23:39
Vienna
Level Contributor
31 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: two nights in Ok city

I can confirm what modcon says. You aren't going to be able to get around on foot a whole lot. OKC is one of the largest cities in the US in terms of land area. Things are very spread out. I would suggest staying in the downtown/bricktown area because then at least you can walk to some restaurants, and check out the myriad gardens/crystal bridge, the memorial, etc. If you have a car another area where you can find a couple of restaurants are along Western Ave. between 36th and 50th street and then also around the classen curve, although the classen curve places are kind of pricey (eg. there is a decent pizza place called upper crust but a pizza there costs around $15+).

One other nice area that may interest you (but is very small) is what we in Oklahoma call, the Paseo Arts "district". In reality it is a short street (less than half a mile long). It is very easy to get to from downtown, basically you just drive north on Walker Ave to 30th street, then turn left and it is one or two stop lights away (Paseo street, or avenue, or something). At any rate, there are a couple of restaurants there as well as 2 or 3 small art galleries. It is in kind/sort of a sketchy part of town. The area to the south and west of it aren't the best but I used to live around there and in the paseo district (read: street) itself everything is fine and quite nice.

Taunton, United...
Level Contributor
27 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: two nights in Ok city

Thank you very much for taking the time to respond. I had a feeling the city would not be walkable. Thanks for your tips and inside information it was really useful. We will enjoy our time in Oklahoma.

Thanks

3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: two nights in Ok city

You can walk more than you might think downtown. When will you be in Oklahoma? If it is in March, you might try to stay at the new hotel in Midtown, the Ambassador (ambassadorhotelcollection.com/oklahomacity). Midtown has several shops and excellent restaurants including Waffle Champion and Cafe do Brasil.

If you stay downtown in the Central Business District (Colcord, Skirvin), I would suggest visiting the Myriad Gardens which is just south of the Colcord. It's lovely. The Devon tower, next to the Colcord, is quite impressive and the rotunda is open to the public, as is their cafeteria-style restaurant, Nebu, which is a great spot to grab lunch. The Museum of Art is just a few blocks north of the Devon tower, near the downtown library. The museum features a large collection of Chihuly glass art and the museum cafe is an excellent choice for a nice meal.

If you only have two days in Oklahoma City, I wouldn't recommend going to Macy's since it's quite far from downtown and there's not much worth seeing near there - mostly big box chains. But there are a growing number of charming shops close to downtown that I would recommend. One lovely district is Automobile Alley, the former car dealer district which has been converted to a shopping & dining district with lots of boutiques and restaurants, all walkable from downtown. You can look at their website for more info: http://automobilealley.org I especially recommend Plenty Mercantile for shopping.

Another great shopping district is the Plaza (http://www.plazadistrict.org), on 16th Street. It would probably be best to drive to the Plaza, then park and walk. Shopping: RetrOKC, DNA Galleries, Collected Thread, Tree & Leaf Clothing and more. Dining: the Mule (all kinds of gourmet grilled cheese sandwiches), Empire Pizza, Pie Junkie, Saints Public House.

Other restaurants in & around downtown I highly recommend: Packard's American Kitchen, Kitchen 324, Backdoor BBQ, Cafe Antigua (a hole in the wall Guatemalan place with amazing brunch!), and Ludivine (a farm-to-table restaurant).

Of course, no trip to OKC is complete without a visit to the bombing memorial. It is in downtown and has the (free) outdoor memorial and reflection pool and the museum which requires entry.

Oklahomans are not used to walking more than a few blocks to get where they want to go. But, if you stay downtown, there is a lot that you can walk to. I've walked from my home in the historic district north of midtown to the Myriad Gardens many times and it's about a mile and a pleasant walk. If you'd like to walk and see the main downtown districts, I would recommend walking up Broadway from 4th to 10th (Automobile Alley), 10th Street from Broadway west to Walker (Midtown), then south down Hudson past the Art Museum, library, and City Hall to the Myriad Gardens. From there you can walk east to Bricktown or catch an Uber ride wherever you need to go.

5. Re: two nights in Ok city

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 January 2015, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Oklahoma City