We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip to Tulsa Report

Which Tulsa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
169 reviews
Save Topic
Trip to Tulsa Report

My wife and I made a two night trip to Tulsa to see The Eagles who were, as always, fantastic (this was our 4th time to see them in concert). It was fun to return to the city we liked on a one night stay during our Rt. 66 trip north a couple of years ago.

On the way to Tulsa on Tuesday we toured the museum at the Oklahoma City National Memorial. We had previously visited the Memorial itself but due to time constraints weren't able to go into the museum. The museum is extremely well done and, as is the Memorial, very moving. I kept thinking to myself that I wasn't sure that I could take any more but around each corner were more compelling stories of the people affected on that terrible day. I highly recommend to everyone to visit both the memorial and the museum.

In Tulsa, we stayed and dined in the Brady Arts district. I selected the Fairfield Inn on Main Street because it is highly rated and a fairly short walk to the BOK Center where The Eagles concert was held. The weather was ideal for the 10 minute walk.

It couldn't have been more perfect. The hotel is very good and reasonably priced. The Brady Arts district where it is located is a fine place to stroll around with a number of attractive and good restaurants as well as art museums and galleries.

We had dinner the first evening at Hey Mambo which has a nice patio for dining in good weather which we enjoyed. Note that cigar smoke from the next door cigar bar can waft into Hey Mambo's area, but we didn't find it objectionable perhaps because I used to smoke cigars so my wife and I are used to it. The restaurant interior is decorated in minimalist style but looked comfortable enough. The Italian food was good and the service efficient.

During Wednesday, our full day in Tulsa, we toured the Philbrook Museum of Art in the morning. This is a first rate museum with a wonderful collection of art works. The Italian Renaissance style former home in which it is housed is the real star together with its grounds. We had lunch there which was very good and reasonably priced. In the afternoon we made a brief visit to the much smaller Philbrook Downtown in the Brady Arts district just a block from our hotel. The special exhibit was the Taos school artists which we enjoyed.

The BOK Center is a fine work of architectural art as well as a wonderful venue for a high scale country rock (very loud) concert. It is quite striking all lit up and gleaming silver in the evening sky. Inside the acoustics were terrific, at least at our low level seat location. The Eagles were in top form and in perfect pitch as the local newspaper reviewer stated.

I must back up and mention that we had planned on an early dinner at Mexicali Border Restaurant before the concert. It is just across the street from the hotel. However we waited too long to go over, so at 6:20 we faced a 35-40 minute wait to be seated. For a concert time of 8:00 that was cutting it too fine so we walked a few yards over to The Tavern and were immediately given a table. The food, drink and service at The Tavern are first rate. I always have draft Guinness when I can get it. We enjoyed our meal and made the short walk to the concert with plenty of time to spare. The walk back from the concert was perfectly safe. We had intended to to go to Chimera for a nightcap or coffee but were too tired to make it.

Thursday we decided to return to Texas via US 75. While this takes a bit longer than more direct routes we wanted to explore a bit of Eastern Oklahoma. We were rewarded with a meandering route through hilly, wooded, pretty countryside and nice small towns between I40 and Atoka. The area looks prosperous, the farms and properties well cared for.

We enjoyed our brief trip to Tulsa very much and look forward to a return visit.

Tulsa, OK
Destination Expert
for Tulsa
Level Contributor
203 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip to Tulsa Report

Thx for your report, come on back to Tulsa anytime!

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
182 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip to Tulsa Report

Sounds like you had a good time! I enjoy The Tavern and Hey Mambo as well. Thank you for posting your review!

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
461 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip to Tulsa Report

Thank you very much for posting this review. i would say that you did Tulsa about the best way you could. Topped off with the Eagles was just over the top.

The details down to the cigar smoke will help a lot of people, including me. Great writeup!

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip to Tulsa Report

I'm jealous. Big Eagle Fan myself . Thanks for this tripreport Texhills. Enjoyed reading and I agree, some nice drives in Eastern OK.

5. Re: Trip to Tulsa Report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 November 2014, 06:21