We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Easter Oregon - First Time

Which Baker City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
PDX
10 posts
Save Topic
Easter Oregon - First Time

live in Portland, I haven't been here long, and would like to take a short trip to see a bit more of the area. I want to spend some time relaxing with my husband, hiking, being outdoors, seeing sunshine, and eating & drinking too much. I 'm hoping folks can advise me on things to see or to avoid in Easter Oregon.

Right now, I am planning on driving east on 84 along the gorge. Stopping along the way for lunch and sightseeing. Then staying in LaGrange, Joseph, or Baker City for two night. I would like to see Hells Canyon and possible take a jet boat ride on the Snake River. Also, interested in Prarie City, Wallowa Lake local arts.

Next, I plan to head back to Portland on 26 with some time in John Day. I'd like to stop at the fossil bed. A friend suggested I stay in Kahneeta.

This is just a short trip and I'd like to avoid too much dring. Is this loop too much to take on in 4 days? Any better suggestions?

Is Hells Canyon worth it? And the boat ride on the Snake River, has anybody done it? Is it worthwhile?

Which is the better spot to spend a few nights, LaGrange, Joseph, or Baker City ? Any recommendations on a hotel or B&B in that area?

Thanks!

dd

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Easter Oregon - First Time

Oh good eastern Oregon

I would save Columbia Gorge for a day trip from Portland.

How many nights do you plan?

Enterprise/Joseph not a bad drive from Portland, though takes good part of a day. Good spot to spend two nigths. Go up to Wallowa lake hike into Eagle Caps a short distance, check the art in Joseph. Enterprise has a bit more lodging than Joseph. Lostine River also interesting

Then when you leave Enterprise take Hells Canyon Scenic Byway, couple of nice overlooks ther. when you get to OR-68 suggest you go east at least to Snake River. You can see the river up close below Oxbow Dam. You could also drive the 25 miles to Hells Canyon Dam and boat launch below dam to get idea of how big and fast that river can be. But then you have to go back on same road.

See oregon Trail Interp Center in Baker City if you still have daylight. Baker City possible overnight.

You can take most of a day getting from Baker City to John Day and visiting Fossil Bed Hdqtrs and Painted Hills and to Prineville area. Overnight could be at Kahneeta but a bit off main road. Consider Sisters for overnight then back to PDX over Santiam.

Hells Canyon Jet Boat. I did that once from Lewiston. Took most of a day. Glad we did it. and recomment it, but suggest that be another trip.

Another option is from Hells Canyon Dam downstream. When i saw that water below dam I said not for me, my venturesome days have passed. Even then not sure I would spend day doing that. in short trip.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Easter Oregon - First Time

Hi

I can't compete with Phirl's advices of course but I just want to say Eastern Oregon made a great visit. We stayed in Pendleton, Baker City and Sisters and visited many places in between like John Day and the Oregon Interpretive Center. Both are not to be missed. In Baker City we had a nice hotel and stayed two nights at the Best Western Sunridge Inn. Good patio rooms. In Sisters we also stayed in a Best Western, the log Pondarose Lodge, very large rooms with a balcony. We had great ribs at the Hotel Sisters restaurant, but I think they renamed the place.

Tet

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
18 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Easter Oregon - First Time

Baker City was known as the "Queen City" at the turn of the century because of its great prosperity from large gold discoveries. As a result, there is a beautiful collection of historic buildings that have been on the national register since 1977 so much is preserved. The area is really, really beautiful, surrounded by 10K ft mountains. The weather is typically sunny winter or summer but can be chilly in the evenings in summer and all the time in winter. best of all, it is not overcrowded and is unspoiled.

Going from Baker City to John Day takes you through the heart of the old gold territory. In John Day, your "must see" is the Kam Wah Chung state historic site. It is an entirely intact site illustrating the lives of the Chinese mine workers that fooded eastern Oregon during the gold rush from 1962-1900.

I agree that you are best to enjoy the gorge as you pass through it but save your stop there for an easy day trip from Portland.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
18 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Easter Oregon - First Time

Baker City was known as the "Queen City" at the turn of the century because of its great prosperity from large gold discoveries. As a result, there is a beautiful collection of historic buildings that have been on the national register since 1977 so much is preserved. The area is really, really beautiful, surrounded by 10K ft mountains. The weather is typically sunny winter or summer but can be chilly in the evenings in summer and all the time in winter. best of all, it is not overcrowded and is unspoiled.

Going from Baker City to John Day takes you through the heart of the old gold territory. In John Day, your "must see" is the Kam Wah Chung state historic site. It is an entirely intact site illustrating the lives of the Chinese mine workers that fooded eastern Oregon during the gold rush from 1962-1900.

I agree that you are best to enjoy the gorge as you pass through it but save your stop there for an easy day trip from Portland.

5. Re: Easter Oregon - First Time

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2009, 23:16
Get answers to your questions about Baker City