We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Most scenic route from Baker City to The Gorge?

Cadiz, Kentucky
Level Contributor
1,473 posts
133 reviews
Save Topic
Most scenic route from Baker City to The Gorge?

For our September trip, I'm debating between 26/97 through Granite, Ukiah to Heppner Junction, or 7/19/97 through John Day to Biggs. Your opinions will be much appreciated.

17 replies to this topic
Baker City
Level Contributor
212 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Most scenic route from Baker City to The Gorge?

The Forest Service Road 39 portion of the Hells Canyon Scenic Byway is now open. The parts that were washed out have been repaired and are passable.

I know that many motorcycles went through during the Hells Canyon Motorcycle Rally, so it should be ok for cars.

…usda.gov/Internet/…stelprdb5306438.pdf

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,675 posts
1,084 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Most scenic route from Baker City to The Gorge?

Thanks!

Cadiz, Kentucky
Level Contributor
1,473 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Most scenic route from Baker City to The Gorge?

Thanks everyone for your help! Phirl, we'll be heading on the route you suggest.

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,286 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Most scenic route from Baker City to The Gorge?

Hi!

Highway 14 on the Washington side is wonderful! We just drove it from Maryhill back to Bonneville Hotsprings and Spa two days ago. I was amazed at the difference in the views as opposed to the Oregon side, which I love.

The prospective is entirely different.

And I would highly suggest visiting the Maryhill Museum and the replica of Stonehenge that Sam Hill built as an honor for the WWI soldiers who lost their lives. Also the Maryhill loops where they tested the asphalt those many years ago to use on the Old Scenic Highway. (of course at that time it was the new and exciting highway... shudder....)

min

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Most scenic route from Baker City to The Gorge?

I sure agree 14 vin Wash very nice, However can not compare to the Historic Columbia River Hwy, You are up close to the several waterfalls. You can walk up to them. View from womens forum one of best in this country. Vista House special place

Maybe third time in Gorge 14 would be nice but certainly in my view not first time.s

Oregon
Level Contributor
1,437 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Most scenic route from Baker City to The Gorge?

I recently took the exact route Kuskokwim suggested, except in reverse, and it was very scenic. If you have a chance to detour and see the Painted Hills, it is well worth it as well.

Since your ultimate destination is Hood River, and to be honest I don't know exactly what the time difference would be in relation to taking 97 to Biggs, you might want to take 26 all the way up to Mt. Hood, then Hwy 35 along the back side of the mountain to Hood River. Either way, it is going to make for a mighty long day in the car. 26/97 would take you up through Madras, and past Smith Rock as well.

Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,971 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Most scenic route from Baker City to The Gorge?

<For our September trip> So where is your September trip report?

Reply to: Most scenic route from Baker City to The Gorge?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Baker City