We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accomodation July/August 2008

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
138 posts
Save Topic
Accomodation July/August 2008

Hi everyone

I am planning to come to Bend Oregon 27 July through to August 2nd to attend an artworkshop which is held in the Phoenix Hotel complex in NW Franklin Ave. Yes, I am sure it is an excellent place to stay however I dont need a suite, only and clean and comfortable place to stay withing reasonable distance of the venue, as I wont have my own transport.

I am coming from New Zealand and traveling north from Bend and up through Alaska, a trip of a life time, and any help would be most appreciated thank you.

Can anyone give me any advice please?

Bend, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Bend
Level Contributor
1,612 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Accomodation July/August 2008

The only other hotels within "true" walking distance are McMenamin's and the Rainbow motel.

McMenamin's is a larger property with a couple of bars, a restaurant, a large "soaking pool" and a movie theater. It really is a nice place, with good landscaping and an unbeatable location on the outskirts of downtown. I have never stayed in the rooms there, but have stayed at other McMenamins properties and while small, they are comfortable and clean. I think breakfast at the restaurant is included in the room rate.

I don't know much about the Rainbow Motel. It is on a busy road and looks a little divey - I would check reviews in the hotel section or watch for comments from other visitors.

The Phoenix is nice, but to call their rooms "suites" is a stretch. It is little more than a bed with a small "sitting room" (with sometimes a pull-out sofa) divided by a half-wall. It is also comfortable and probably quieter than either McMenamins or Rainbow. The Phoenix is where my family stays when visiting the area.

There may be B&B's in the downtown area as well.

I hope this is helpful!

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Accomodation July/August 2008

Have you planned your itinerary after Bend? If not, tell us how much time you have and where in AK you are headed.

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
4,729 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Accomodation July/August 2008

I have stayed at the Phoenix Inn a couple of times. It is true that to call the rooms "suites" is a stretch. They are about the same size as a normal hotel room. It is in a great location!

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
138 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Accomodation July/August 2008

Thanks for all this help everyone. I am between Mill Inn and Econo Lodge at 437 NE 3rd Street at the moment. The later is just around the corner from NW Franklin and my course is at 300 Franklin Ave. The rooms look good there and the rate is reasonable. They have senior discount too and I qualify!

Phoenix is really a bit expensive for me otherwise it would be great to stay on site where the course is. I am just awaiting a reply to some questions re the course and its probably just the time difference that is delaying this as I have found that NZ is 15 hours ahead of Bend.

Originally I was planning to begin my travel in Vancouver however this art course has encouraged me to come to Bend first and so having browsed the net on the area around there and north I am thinking of perhaps hiring a car and driving to perhaps Seattle or Vancouver. I haven't checked out rental cars yet and as this idea is crossing borders it might be just to Seattle and then bus or some other way further north. Perhaps some of you might have some good ideas about travel routes through this region? The coastal areas look awesome as do some of the mountains/lakes/rivers regions and I am still searching books and the net for the best ideas however local knowledge and that of other travellers is always good. I am most interested in the landscape (being a landscape artist)rather than the cities.

From there I am looking at Vancouver to Fairbanks, Anchorage, Seward then working my way south via the ferry system stopping at places like Skagway, Sitka etc etc. I am hopping to travel fairly unstructured so that if I fall in love with a place I can stay a day or two longer however I do read that accomodation is fairly tight up there with the summer months being so short. Any advice on that greatly appreciated. I am happy in most cases with anything from Hostels up. I dont need high star hotels.

Once again you guys are great so my thanks.

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
8,159 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Accomodation July/August 2008

Perhaps I missed it...but how much time have you alloted for this trip? You are talking huge distances and if you think the places in Bend are expensive wait until you see what Alaska has to offer.

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Accomodation July/August 2008

Assuming you have the time, and given your love of landscapes/nature, here are a few possibilities.

BTW, days are very long at that time of year.

Bend Area: 1.5 hours away, Crater Lake National Park

Bend Area: Lots of interesting volcanic and other natural sites, plus Century Drive to see the mountains and lakes west of Bend; 100 miles circle drive.

Columbia River Gorge, Scenic HWY on OR side, plus HWY on WA side.

Oregon Coast: Nothing like it, especially areas with headlands and sea stacks (e.g., Cape Perpetua). Plus, farmlands...

Mt. Rainier: Possibly see spring flowers in bloom, incredible, at a mile high altitude.

Mt. St. Helens: Local and active volcano with excellent visitor centers and viewpoints, plus seeing the recovery, nature at work.

Olympic National Park: Hurricane Ridge and the Rain Forests.

Seattle & Vancouver: Scenic vistas of these two cities, from on land and ferries, plus artistic opportunities at, for example, Pike Place Market and Granville Market, respectively.

Banff/Jasper National Parks: Beautiful.

Alaska Bound: varied terrain/geography, plus real possibility of wildlife en route.

Just a few highlights you could consider.

oregon city
Level Contributor
790 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Accomodation July/August 2008

guess I'm confused, are you driving or taking Alaska Ferry or both? I know Alaska Marine highway system gets booked up quickly if you want cabin. You can get on in Bellingham, WA so you dont have to cross the border to Canada if that is of issue.

oregon city
Level Contributor
790 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Accomodation July/August 2008

you might want to consider flying to alaska-from Portland it is a ~4hour flight from Seattle/Van probably 3hrs. You will see lots of awesome views from the plane as well(if it isnt socked in). Are you planning on driving alone on the Alaska Highway? I probably wouldn't recommend it unless you are very prepared(I know Kiwis useally are, but thought I would at lest let you know).

Agreed that if you think prices are high in Bend-just wait till you research AK! and then dont expect much for what you get... :) FYI- 'cabins' in AK dont have any sort of building code attached to the word so you rent a 'cabin' you could get a total dump or something nice. Websites are deciving...I know this from personal knowledge...

Having a tree branch holding up the ceiling of a 'cabin' just added to to the whole alaska experience.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
138 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Accomodation July/August 2008

I will go through this answer by answer.

Oregonpoppa - I havent sorted the time yet as am in early stages of my plans so these things are just searching for possibilities at the moment. No real decisions made.

Huge distances to drive - I checked on line and it tells me that it is 250 miles (403K in our part of the world) from Bend to Seattle which was the bit I was thinking of driving, yes a good distance but not entirely out of the question.

I really wasn't meaning to be derogatory about prices of accomodation in Bend, merely that if I can get a place half the price of another that still looks reasonably decent then that makes sense to me, but thanks for the warning about Alaska.

voyaging - thanks that's all great and I have copied your suggestions, much appreciated.

chinookgrrrrl - When I said possibly driving I only meant the Bend to Seattle portion and then in Alaska using transport like the trains and ferries. I have heard from a guy who visited here that the service is good. Thanks for the tip re getting on in Bellingham. While I wasn't planning on driving on the Alaskan Highway why do you recomend not to? Good to know your thoughts. Yes I agree that websites can be deceiving and thanks for that about AK places. Lol re the tree branch! I once was looking for a place to rent on Waiheke Island NZ and got offered a 'flat' which was actually odd spaces amongst the foundations of a house complete with the rock retaining wall in there.

Do any of you know of the Econo Motel in Bend please? It looks good on the web but 'inside' knowledge is always helpful.

thanks heaps all of you.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
138 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Accomodation July/August 2008

Also is the area around the corner of NE 3rd Street and along NW Franklin Avenue a 'safe' area say if it was in the evening for walking home from the course?

thanks