We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to stay to get a taste of Bend?

Which Bend hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
California
Level Contributor
324 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
where to stay to get a taste of Bend?

We're driving up from the Bay Area to look at houses in the Bend area. Where should we stay to get a feel for Bend? Is the "historic downtown area" nice to stay in? We've never been there. Phoenix Inn was suggested, but I think they're booked. Would love to be able to walk to dinner, but not necessary. We've heard such great things about the area and can't wait to check it out. Getting kind of crowded down here in Marin County.

BTW, any idea how long it will take to drive from Redding, CA?

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
22,177 posts
5,167 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where to stay to get a taste of Bend?

If The Riverhouse has lodging, stay there

http://www.riverhouse.com/

or Sunriver Resort

http://www.sunriver-resort.com/

one of the Bed and Breakfasts around town:

http://www.bbonline.com/or/bend.html

You might want to try the Mt. Bachelor area

Mt. Bachelor Village Resort (but too far out of town to get a real sense of Bend)

http://www.mtbachelorvillage.com/cova/

or Inn at the 7th Mountain

seventhmountain.com/resort.php/…CCM_556 (again out of town)

We've stayed at the Best Western in Bend but I liked the area around Bend not the city itself. You'll get a better feel for Bend by staying in one of the more scenic areas as downtown you might feel like you're just driving through Petaluma.

The real thing to do while in Bend is to explore the area...and take the circular drive up to Mt. Bachelor and back...

http://www.mtbachelor.com/

Its about 22 miles out of town....

You can find more on the Bend Visitor Site

http://www.bendchamber.org/visitor/index.asp

From Redding to Bend its 278 miles and will take somewhere between 6 and 7 hours most likely (depending on how you drive.).

People who moved there love it.....driving just through the town you won't....but the area is gorgeous in paricular

Mt. Bachelor.

Bend
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: where to stay to get a taste of Bend?

the pancake house has a hotel right across from it. not even 200 feet away!

Bend, OR
Level Contributor
899 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: where to stay to get a taste of Bend?

Ameritel is very nice with views of the river and mtns and is in the new part of town, but a small walk to downtown. There is also the Mcmehnemins (sp) St Francis school for a great downtown location.

Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
653 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: where to stay to get a taste of Bend?

Stay away from any hotels on Highway 97, not that the hotels are bad but the road is very, very busy and noisy. The Phoenix Inn, the Ameritel Inn, and McMenamin's will each give you a good location to get a feeling for Bend. There are some excellent B&Bs here too, such as the Hillside Inn and Sather House. As a caution - this area is growing quickly with lots of people coming from California. Some resentment is evident.

Bend, OR
Level Contributor
899 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: where to stay to get a taste of Bend?

Just be kind to others and don't act like you're in a big city and no attitude will befall you queen. So why are you interested in this town anyway? What have you hear that has you ready to move here with out even seeing it? Oh yeah, if ou do move here, it is a very philanthropic area, so please make sure to give back to the community. : )

Eugene
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: where to stay to get a taste of Bend?

I'm going to a conference in Bend in August.

So far, I'm looking at the Riverhouse.

My hubby will be at the hotel all day while I go to the conference. Is the Riverhouse an OK place to stay?

Any other suggestions?

Bend, OR
Level Contributor
899 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: where to stay to get a taste of Bend?

Yeah it's not bad. does your hubby golf? They have one the most challenging courses in the nation behind this place in Rivers Edge. Ameritel is a very nice option if you have not booked, or the Phoenix Inn will get you closer to downtown, so he could walk around.

Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
653 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: where to stay to get a taste of Bend?

The Riverhouse is nice if you have a room on the river, so if you decide to stay there, try to get one. There is a good running/walking trail along the river behind the hotel in addition to the golf course previously mentioned. The problem with the Riverhouse is that it is on a main highway so there is nothing easy to get to on foot unless you want to go to Sears and Macys. If you know the location of your conference, it would be easier to make suggestions for lodging options.

9. Re: where to stay to get a taste of Bend?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 July 2005, 21:58
California
Level Contributor
324 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: where to stay to get a taste of Bend?

Thanks for all the suggestions. As it turned out, we were there the weekend of the quilt festival in Sisters, the bicycle race and the art fair in Bend, so there were no rooms to be had anywhere. We ended up with a condo at Mt. Bachelor resort which sounded nice, just 5 mins. from town across the river, but was pretty tacky. But it was a place to sleep, so we were glad to find it.

We loved Bend. To answer sillybilly's question about Why Bend?, I guess we've just heard about people moving there and loving it. We love the West in general, but don't want severe winters so the exodus to Montana/Wyoming is not for us. Bend seems like a nice mix of "civilized" living, shopping, culture, and outdoor activities, people who care about where they live, the environment, with a progressive attitude. Let's face it, I'm not moving to a red state to live out my Golden Years.

We ate outside at Marz and Merenda, had a great time at both. Bought art at Kebanu Gallery, and walked around town in the rain. We met only friendly, outgoing people (okay, some of them were a little drunk...).

Bend may be out of our budget, and Sunriver is not a place I see myself living full time, but Prineville looked great to us. We're going back in a few months for visit number two!

BTW, the drive from Redding takes about five hours. The Hilton Garden Inn was terrific for an overnight.

When does the snow start falling?