We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bend Trip Report Sept 17 - 21

Beaverton, OR
Level Contributor
407 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
Bend Trip Report Sept 17 - 21

Here's a report on our 4 night trip to Bend.

My husband, myself and our dog stayed at the Champagne Chalet at the Cricketwood Country Bed and Breakfast. It was a perfect place to stay and extremely dog friendly. Chance – half German Shepherd and half Australian Cattle Dog (the Heeler dogs) – had a blast with the neighbor's cattle (the neighbor fell in love with her) and running on Cricketwood’s 10 acres. She actually pouted on Sunday morning when she realized we were leaving.

We left late Wednesday morning and stopped for lunch at the North Santiam State Rec Area east of Salem on OR 22. Chance had a lot of fun swimming in the river – she was in the water for about 30 minutes. We waded with her for 15 minutes - until our legs went numb. We had pizza from Little Pizza Paradise (they are the only place that delivers that far out and were recommended). We had "The Usual" - sausage, pepperoni, mushrooms, red onions and black olives. It was very good.

Thursday we drove out to Glass Buttes and spent the day rockhounding. We had a small herd of 25 antelope go by us while we were there and saw many more in the hay fields on the way there and back. We didn't bring much obsidian back but that was only because we were being selective and looking only for specific pieces.

Thursday night the smoke from all the fires really settled in so we woke up not feeling all that well and decided to stick to doing stuff around Bend. It had cleared off pretty nicely by Friday morning so we decided to do the drive up Lava Butte in the Newberry monument. I had checked the website before we left and could only find the hours for 2007 so I called the Friday before we left and talked to an employee at the Lava Lands Visitor Center who told me the visitor center and Lava Butte drive would be open the days we were there from 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. We made the 40 minute drive only to find the road gated and a sign up saying they were closed for the season. I called to see what was up and was told by another visitor center employee that the 14th was the last day they were open and he didn't know why I would've been told otherwise. I won't repeat what my reply was! We settled for doing Pilot Butte (again) instead. We did lunch at Dandy's Drive In - my husband loves the waitresses on skates and Chance thought it was very interesting that people brought food to the Jeep. We had Grand Dandy’s (bacon cheeseburgers), fries with sauce and banana shakes. We ran into a lot of rude people on Friday. It started with trying to fuel up at the Shell station at 27th and US 20 where we waited close to 10 minutes for a pump to free up and were then told to leave the pump and go to the end of the line because the attendant had promised to fill up a car that had been waiting only a couple of minutes – needless to say we told her off and left. It ended when I ran into the rudest checker ever at an Albertson's on 20/97 BL. The bag boy was actually apologizing to the customers when he would hand the bags over.

Saturday we went to the Petersen Rock Gardens between Bend and Redmond. It was pretty interesting and we couldn't begin to comprehend the amount of work that went into making all the structures. We then went to Smith Rock State Park where we ate lunch and did some hiking. The park is gorgeous and there were a ton of climbers out. We then drove up to Peter Skene Ogden Viewpoint but didn't actually walk to the viewpoint. We pulled in and every sign we saw past the sidewalk said "No Pets Beyond This Point. Put Pets Back In Your Vehicle." When we were leaving, we saw 1 sign by the footbridge that only said dogs had to be on a leash. My husband asked if I wanted to turn around and go back to the parking lot but I said we might as well forget it and I didn’t think we would miss much. We found out last night when we got home that we didn't miss much according to our neighbor.

Sunday, we checked out and stopped for lunch again at North Santiam. It was cold and rainy so we didn't play in the river with the dog but she still enjoyed it.

We wanted to go to Richardson's Rock Ranch near Madras but had to sacrifice something since we stayed close to town on Friday. We're planning on going back next year (and staying at Cricketwood again) to do that. I doubt we'll try Lava Butte again (it was our 2nd time trying to get up there.)

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Bend
Level Contributor
1,647 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bend Trip Report Sept 17 - 21

Sorry that you encountered so many rude people on Friday! I know the smoke was getting to me too... and I was glad to not be in a position where I had to deal with people. But sheesh, what a way to drag a vacation down!

I've even heard conflicting information about Lava Lands and I have a friend who works for the USFS. ;-) From what I can tell it's currently open on the weekend and "by appointment" for groups. We went to Paulina/East Lake on Sunday and despite the weather had a good time. The Big Obsidian Flow trail was a big hit with our kids. Neat stuff!

We are going to Richardson's for the first time next week. School field trip with my daughter's class. Should be fun!

Hope that you encounter friendlier peeps on you next visit!

Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bend Trip Report Sept 17 - 21

Did you ask the rude people how long they had been in oregon, Sorry to say Bend has lost some of its Oregon feel.

3. Re: Bend Trip Report Sept 17 - 21

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2009, 07:27