We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need Help Planning Vacation

Which Bend hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Thousand Oaks, CA
5 posts
Save Topic
Need Help Planning Vacation

My hubby and I are planning a 2 week vacation to Oregon (from Socal) in September after Labor Day. We are travelling with our 2 beagles and want to spend several days (4-5 days) around Bend. My aunt has a beach house on the coast so we are going there after to meet up with family. As a kid, I used to go to Black Butte, but I am not sure if that is the best destination for us. We want to do some outdoor activities - like hiking and river rafting. My husband is interested in the microbreweries. We want to relax likely rent a house since we have the dogs. What is better - renting in Bend or some where like Black Butte or even Sisters?

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need Help Planning Vacation

Have you considered lodging in Sun River?

We've had family reunions there for several years, often see dogs with guests. And the housing options are broad.

Several websites for lodging vendors here:

http://www.google.com/search?q=Sun+river%2C+OR&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Oregon, Central/Bend Area

http://www.visitbend.com/

traveloregon.com/Explore-Oregon/Central-Oreg…

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Need Help Planning Vacation

Except for hiking, which I think is best around Black Butte and Sisters, the Bend area is probably a better fit for your criteria. And I agree with voyaging's suggestion of Sunriver, though having your dogs along might restrict what's available to you. As it would at Black Butte.

Bend, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Bend
Level Contributor
1,568 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need Help Planning Vacation

Lots of good info from the other posters so far. Are you planning to hike with your dogs? If so you should be aware of the areas with leash requirements: fs.fed.us/r6/…des-2003-013-0-dogs.shtml

Most of the microbrew pubs are in Bend, with one each in Sisters and Redmond. I think Deschutes & Boneyard (the newest addition) are the only ones with an actual 'tasting room' but I could be mistaken.

Depending on your price range, I believe most of the Lavabelles properties are pet friendly (http://www.lavabelles.com/). I don't have personal experience but have heard from others that they are nice, and they are centrally located.

Hope this helps!

Cannon Beach, Oregon
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Need Help Planning Vacation

Most recently visited the Riverhouse with my family (including kids and elderly parents) and the hotel staff couldn't have been nicer. The rooms are great and the surrounding area leaves so much to do - the dogs would definately love the long walks. Get a room on the river, you won't be disappointed. They are a very pet friendly hotel, definately a family oriented hotel as well. Enjoy your trip!

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
10,808 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need Help Planning Vacation

Either Black Butte or Sunriver would work well. We haven't stayed at Black Butte for quite a while, so mistletoe is your go to guy for that. We do stay at Sunriver several times a year and absolutely love it. Great place with dogs and good location to get around to things in the area. There are several property mgmt places there to rent homes or condo's. We usually opt to use Sunray Inc and they are wonderful. In 10 years we have never had a problem with them or their properties.

As for the Riverhouse, it is a hotel on a main highway through town. Fine for a night, but for more than that I would not opt for that. We stayed there fo a conference a year ago. I would not stay there for more than a night on the road if I were paying. Our room was ok, but the bathroom had not been redone in many years and the musty smell of smoke in the hallways made me feel like we were back in a notel motel of 1970. BTW, there are many posts on this forum about the Riverhouse and almost all are from posters that have posted once total, and always rave about this place. For me, that raises huge red flags.

Thousand Oaks, CA
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Need Help Planning Vacation

Thanks for all the replies. We are leaning towards renting a house at Sunriver. My dad seems to think Black Butte is a better option. Thinks Sunriver is too crowded. Any thoughts?

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
10,808 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need Help Planning Vacation

FWIW, the north end at Sunriver feels totally different than the south end. The south end is closer to the village and the properties are closer together. We prefer the north end where there is more room and it is more serene. I would opt for that or BB.

Thousand Oaks, CA
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Need Help Planning Vacation

Thanks for the reply. I am looking at a house in Sunriver in Fairway Village. It looks to be on the North side. Would that be a good location? I am leaning towards Sunriver since it is close to Bend and my hubby likes being able to go to a microbrew and hang out.

Bend, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Bend
Level Contributor
1,568 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need Help Planning Vacation

BB is a lonnnng drive from the microbrews. Since that's one of your main criteria, I'd opt for Sunriver. ;-)

Not official brewery pubs, but have your husband add some tap rooms to his itinerary in case there's time: Reed Pub, Abbey Pub, and Bend Draft House. All have unique atmospheres and a good variety of local and semi-local micros and macros. The Brew Shop at the N end of Bend also has a great bottle shop.

Last but not least since he's planning to do the loop anyways have him check out the "Bend Ale Trail". visitbend.com/Bend_Oregon_Activities_Recreat…

Oregon
Level Contributor
14 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need Help Planning Vacation

Sunriver will not be crowded after Labor day.

My only thoughts are most of the Breweries are in Bend so you are going to drive if that is something you are really interested in.

There are a number of vacation rentals in the city of Bend so you might take a look on Craigslist.org. Chances are you will get a better deal in Bend than Sunriver.