We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sun River to Newport

Level Contributor
172 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Sun River to Newport

We have made a last minute change to our plans. Will need to drive from Sun River to Newport on Friday, August 27th. Any special traffic concerns? About how long is the driving time? Leave Tuesday for Oregon, so please respond quickly. Thanks for all your help.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Sun River to Newport

The most direct route is hwy 97 north into Bend, then pick up hwy 20, which junctions into hwy 101 at Newport. The drive should ordinarily take about 4 hours, but others here have reported construction on hwy 20 between Corvallis and the coast, which may or may not delay you. Either way, taking a different route just to avoid the construction would likely end up taking longer.

Have a great trip.

Level Contributor
172 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sun River to Newport

Thanks so much for your prompt reply. I've truly appreciated the extensive help provided by the Oregonites!

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,071 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sun River to Newport

mistletoe nailed it :~)

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,008 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sun River to Newport

Oregonites? LOL

Oregonians... As in Bostonian. My home town.

On the other hand, it's Seattlelites, not, ummm, Seattleonians.

Edited: 17 August 2010, 04:59
Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Bend
Level Contributor
1,647 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sun River to Newport

The tripcheck.com website is a good tool to see if there's any construction going on for your route.

Other than that, looks like mistletoe's got your back. :-)

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,485 posts
1,084 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sun River to Newport

Oh dear . . . and here I am making a small correction . . .

You don't technically stay on Hwy 20 the whole way. At Lebanon, look for Hwy 34 west toward I-5, Tangent and/or Corvallis (never remember what the sign says!). Then take that.

Hwy 20 would take you north up into Albany, then south again - out of your way, with traffic.

Hwy 34 will take you directly to Corvallis, where it will be joined by Hwy 20, so you'll be on 34/20 for a bit.

I'm going to make a suggestion if you want a more scenic route. Just west of Philomath, you'll see Hwy 34 turn off to the left. That will take you to Waldport, 15 miles south of Newport. It will add about 30 minutes to your travel time but is much more scenic and far less traffic. No gasoline until you get to Waldport, 60 miles.

Yes, Hwy 20 between Corvallis and Newport has heavy construction on it. It varies a lot, but delays may be 15/20 minutes or not at all. 15 miles of new highway coming in late 2011 - yippeee :-)

Edited: 17 August 2010, 07:53
7. Re: Sun River to Newport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 February 2011, 06:17
Follow this conversation!
Get notified when a new reply comes in.
Follow now