We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bend/Sunriver restaurants

Seattle
Level Contributor
4,398 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Bend/Sunriver restaurants

i'm heading down to this area tomorrow for 3 nights and am looking for some restaurant suggestions. i've read through some posts and have the deschutes brewpub and zydeco on my short list. any input/feedback on blacksmith, 900 wall or the restaurant at the oxford hotel, 10 below? which of the restaurants at sunriver would you choose?

thanks in advance for your input.

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bend/Sunriver restaurants

BTW, we don't go into Bend from Sun River that much, but really enjoyed Deschutes Brewery, beer and food, on several occasions, and the chain Thai restaurant, Typhoon.

I also commented on Phirl's post about Sun River.

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,029 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bend/Sunriver restaurants

This is what I just posted on the other thread. Good call on Deschutes. That has been a favorite of ours for years. Cafe Yumm in the Old Mill District is very good. While you can buy small tubs of their sauce at Whole Foods, here you can buy it in a larger size. We make Yumm Bowls at home often. Our friends in Seattle have us bring the big bottles of the sauce to them, lol.

Here is a list of the places we hit at Sunriver.

In the lodge, the Owl's Nest is very good. Casual, but good food and live bands some nights.

Also in the lodge, downstairs, is the Merchant Trader. Light breakfasts and lunches. Large patio if it is nice out.

In the Village, the places are much more hit/miss, IME.

Hot Lava for donuts or breads. The store was for sale a while back, so not sure what changes have been made since then.

Blondies Pizza is always a must stop. Very busy, rightly so.

Village Bar & Grill is probably the busiest place in the village. Food is ok, not great.

Marcello's is supposed to be very good, but my experiences there have been just ok.

Bellatazza hands down for the best coffee in the entire Sunriver resort. Long lines in the morning, and worth the wait.

Bend, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Bend
Level Contributor
1,612 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bend/Sunriver restaurants

Try to go to Deschutes on Monday since it's "Locals Nite" (especially if you are ordering burgers). And expect it to be PACKED. The sweet potato fries are really good.

Zydeco is my favorite restaurant. Blacksmith is pretty good, too. 10 Below is having issues with consistency. Jury's still out on 900 Wall (I've had one good meal, one "meh"!)

I also highly recommend Brother Jon's for either lunch or dinner. Great little pub on the Westside.

At Sunriver I have only been to the Owl's Nest, sorry I can't really help with that... but I think you're getting lots of feedback from others so that's great!

Beaverton, Oregon
Level Contributor
78 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bend/Sunriver restaurants

Hey, we'll be there this weekend too! The kids are back in school and rates have dropped - the perfect time.

We hit The Blacksmith last summer and loved it. But a friend who dines often in Bend was there within the last three weeks, and was very disappointed (food quality and service issues, I believe). I think we'll try Zydeco Kitchen this trip; love the "no corkage on OR-WA-ID wines" policy. Am VERY sad to see Staccato gone; hope they find a new spot. Will NOT patronize the restaurant that replaced it. There's always the Pine Tavern, which we absolutely adore (for its history as much as its food). Can't go wrong with the Deschutes Brewpub; good to great food, awesome beers. We've had two good experiences (three years apart) at Greg's Grill, if that helps.

See you there!

Bend, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Bend
Level Contributor
1,612 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bend/Sunriver restaurants

Your hopes will not be met, singlemom41. Sorry! They hadn't paid rent in more than a year.

The restaurant (Bourbon Street) that took over that space is owned by the same people as the Blacksmith. Jury's still out on that one... but I don't see any reason NOT to try it. It's not their fault that Staccato's owners didn't pay their bills!

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bend/Sunriver restaurants

"Will NOT patronize the restaurant that replaced it." Strong statement, why?

Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
119 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bend/Sunriver restaurants

I also found the comment about not patronizing the replacement for Staccatos interesting and wonder "why not?". I have been to the new restaurant for both lunch and dinner and thoroughly enjoyed it; the prices are extremely reasonable, the food fresh and the chopped salads great. Will definitely go back. Zydeco also is a favorite but other good restaurants to consider are: Jackalope; a locals' favorite off the beaten track with truly excellent food (everything I've had has been delicious). Joolz for eastern Mediterranean with a western twist and great happy hour prices. Five Spice for sushi and asian fusion food. Also good happy hour prices. And Trattoria Sbandatti for truly authentic, delicious Tuscan food. Prix fixe meals only on weekend nights but they now offer an ala carte menu other evenings and at lunch.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,896 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bend/Sunriver restaurants

Hmmm, since a majority of restaurants change hands / close / reopen all the time . . . we'd all be eating at home a lot more if we didn't patronize the new ones that open ;-)

Seattle
Level Contributor
4,398 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Bend/Sunriver restaurants

thanks for all the great suggestions! had a nice drive down here today, stopped at timberline on the way for lunch. ended up going to ariana with friends from WA who moved here about a year ago--it was quite good i thought. looking forward to trying some of the other suggestions tomorrow and saturday.

Seattle
Level Contributor
4,398 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Bend/Sunriver restaurants

went to zydeco tonight for dinner, and it was fantastic! had lunch at deschutes which was good. had a very good burger last night at the owl's nest at sunriver. the weather's been perfect and i'm sorry i have to leave tomorrow!