We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cascade Lakes Hwy

Philomath
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Topic
Cascade Lakes Hwy

I have heard that people take snowmobiles on the highway when it's closed. Is this true ? Do people hike the highway? What about ATV's?

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Bend
Level Contributor
1,635 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cascade Lakes Hwy

I've heard that too but I've never done it personally. It's actually recognized as part of the trail system by the forest service and it's designated for mixed use during the winter (fs.fed.us/r6/…trail-1000-cascadeslakes.shtml).

Note that dogs are prohibited in this area during the winter, unless they are harnessed (for sledding) and you have a permit.

During the summer it wouldn't be appropriate for ATV use as there is heavy vehicle traffic on that road. There are probably ATV trails that are accessible from the trailheads though.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Bend
Level Contributor
1,635 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cascade Lakes Hwy

Oops just noticed that link "broke". Try this: fs.fed.us/r6/…trail-1000-cascadelakes.shtml

Philomath
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Cascade Lakes Hwy

got it. thanks for the link

Philomath
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Cascade Lakes Hwy

there are ATV trails on the south side of Bachelor, but if you dont mind a very rough ride and lost of dust in the warmer seasons you should have some fun, Also you will need to have your bike or quad jetted for the high altitude. Parking lot is south side of Edison Butte on Hwy 45.

Edited: 06 January 2011, 11:05
Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
119 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cascade Lakes Hwy

I've been on the highway as far as the Todd Lake turnoff. Yes, there are snowmobiles and people can "hike" the highway at least that far but snowshoes or skis are a good idea. People ski to the Elk Lake Resort, which also operates a snow cat from Dutchman Flat near Mt. Bachelor. The resort, as well as the Forest Service, would be a good source of info for whatever you are trying to do. As for ATV's, I can't imagine taking one into country where there could be six feet of snow to navigate.

Philomath
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Cascade Lakes Hwy

I am hoping that the snow would be compacted enough on the highway for atv use. I would not expect it to be possible to venture off -road in the snow especially with a two wheel drive atv as well.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Bend
Level Contributor
1,635 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cascade Lakes Hwy

Seems like a risky proposition to me. You're betting on consistent conditions in a mountain pass. The highway department closes that road for a reason... It's unmaintained and weather can change quickly up there. If you have to go, please be safe and definitely take emergency supplies. Hope we don't see you on the evening news!

8. Re: Cascade Lakes Hwy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 July 2011, 07:18