We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advise for upcoming trip

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
6 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Advise for upcoming trip

Hi all, I wanted to get some valuable tips from anyone who lives in Central Oregon or has been to Central Oregon. We are planning to go in the 3rd week of September for 3-4 days-and its our first trip there. I am travelling with my husband and his parents. It may not be a very active trip in terms of long hikes etc but we hope to be able to explore and cover as much as possible of the area.

Right now we are planning to rent a vacation home in Sunriver/Bend Area as this may be the best option for the in-laws. I have shortlisted a few homes through discoversunriver.com and benningtonproperties.com. If someone has had any experience or recommend any particular property for 4 adults that would be much appreciated.

We are also looking for any valuable tips-where to go, what to see. We are thinking that not being able to hike much being a restriction-driving in the car to places and perhaps stopping at certain points would be appropriate. We are also considering a rafting trip, so if anyone has any recommendations-that would be helpful.

Many thanks in Advance :)

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,007 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advise for upcoming trip

Oregon, Central/Bend Area

http://www.visitbend.com/

traveloregon.com/Explore-Oregon/Central-Oreg…

Crater Lake National Park

http://www.nps.gov/crla/

We stay at Sun River, usually for a week. If the firms accept less than a week, go for it. Perhaps even extend for a full week, lots to see and to do in the area.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,012 posts
1,068 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advise for upcoming trip

Some ideas for easy, non-hiking things to do:

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g52030-d18… (maybe take a picnic lunch?)

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g1808456-d18…

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g52033-d11…

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g28958-d15…

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g52033-d28…

Paulina Creek Falls is a pleasant area and you can see the falls with an easy short walk from the parking area... explorecentraloregon.com/paulina-creek-falls/

Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
119 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advise for upcoming trip

Regardless of where you stay, I'm sure you will have a great time, but you might want to give a bit more weight to Bend since there is much more to do for a "less active" stay, i.e. more restaurants, shopping, etc. Plus there are lovely walks along the river in right in town.

As for activities, the High Desert Museum (world-class indoor-outdoor exhibits of the natural and cultural history of the high desert) is well worthwhile. A drive on the Cascades Lake highway would bring you to stunning vistas and a number of beautiful lakes. I would recommend going as far as Elk Lake, with a stop at Sparks Lake for a walk on the paved portion of the Ray Atkinson Memorial Trail. Doing the entire scenic highway loop is nice but quite long. Also, driving to the top of Pilot Butte in town will reward you with a memorable 360 degree view.

You didn't say if you were looking for white-water rafting or something tamer. Sun Country Tours offers a short whitewater trip just outside of town, as well as full day excursions on the lower Deschutes. For something mellower, doing a canoe/kayak tour with Wunderlust Tours on one of the high lakes would be memorable. Also, you can do a 6-mile float on the Deschutes River from the Sunriver marina where you can rent canoes, kayaks or a raft. Transportation back to the marina is included in the rental price.

Have fun. You are coming at a great time of year!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
6 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advise for upcoming trip

Thank you all for your valuable advise! It has made planning the trip easier :)

Bend, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Bend
Level Contributor
1,632 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advise for upcoming trip

I agree with the suggestion to weigh Bend more heavily if your trip will be less "recreation focused".

Also would like to second the suggestions for High Desert Museum and Smith Rock / Peter Skene viewpoints.

Another outfitter you might enjoy is Wanderlust Tours. They offer a wide variety of fast or slow paced tours for a variety of fitness levels.

You could also take the scenic cascade lakes drive, there might be a few short walks but doesn't have to be a major hike to several beautiful view points.

Catch the sunset from the summit of Pilot Butte at least once. You can walk up (difficult) or drive.

You also might enjoy the downtown areas in Sisters or Prineville. The Bowman Museum in Prineville just reopened following a big remodel, I've heard it's lovely but have not been out there yet.

6. Re: Advise for upcoming trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2012, 23:17
Get answers to your questions about Bend