We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going to Bend from Portland for 2 nights - what not to miss?

Georgetown, Texas
Level Contributor
33 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Going to Bend from Portland for 2 nights - what not to miss?

We are driving from Portland on August 15th to spend 2 nights in Bend. Interested in any antique trucks, junk shops, and cool breweries to see.

Any places you think of to be sure and not miss?

Thanks!

Bend, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Bend
Level Contributor
1,601 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Going to Bend from Portland for 2 nights - what not to miss?

I don't know about antique *trucks*. There are a couple of shops like Iron Horse and Trivia that are fun to browse. Is that what you mean? Visit Bend website has a nice list of shops here: visitbend.com/Bend_Oregon_Activities_Recreat…

The best way to experience Central Oregon breweries is to use the "Ale Trail". They have a passport and maps, with expanded information about each brewery. My personal favorites on the trail are Boneyard and Deschutes.

A new one that isn't on the map yet but well worth the trek is The Ale Apothecary, out on Skyliner Road. It's an extremely small operation and the brewer takes his craft to the next level of obsession. Website is http://mountainbrewery.org/ and while they don't keep "regular" hours he posts open house times on their Facebook page and if you call him he's also open by appointment.

Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
114 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Going to Bend from Portland for 2 nights - what not to miss?

Another new brewery that I highly recommend is Crux Fermentation Project which is co-owned by the former Deschutes brewmaster. Good beer; good vibes; good food; and good views.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,892 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Going to Bend from Portland for 2 nights - what not to miss?

Steiny, if you're going to Bend via Hood River there is an outstanding anitque truck/car/plane museum there:

http://www.waaamuseum.org/

Bend, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Bend
Level Contributor
1,601 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Going to Bend from Portland for 2 nights - what not to miss?

Oregontrekkie, you're nicer than me. I'm excited for Crux too but I'm not ready to recommend them yet. It's going to be fantastic once they work out the kinks. ;-) I have yet to taste their beer because it's not ready / all gone / changing the taps over but oops we don't know how yet. I wouldn't discourage anyone from going there but it just hasn't "matured" yet.

Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
114 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Going to Bend from Portland for 2 nights - what not to miss?

I was there last week and really liked the new beer that I had, fiveforefun. Have you been there yet? Since you say you have yet to taste their beer, maybe it's time for you to give them a try.

Bend, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Bend
Level Contributor
1,601 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Going to Bend from Portland for 2 nights - what not to miss?

It's not for lack of trying. I was at Crux as recently as last week, and like I said they were having keg change-over woes so we didn't get to try their beer (it was our 3rd try). I do think they will be a great place eventually but they are brand new. They've been open with a limited menu and guest taps for just over a month - recently expanding to their full menu and serving the first few batches of their own beer. If visitors are coming to town and looking for recommendations, they need to know that a business is in "startup mode" and it might not go as smoothly as it would at a place that has their formula and staff dialed in.

Personally, if I went to Portland to try a new brewery and had a similar experience where I didn't get to try their beer I would be really disappointed.

Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
114 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Going to Bend from Portland for 2 nights - what not to miss?

It's too bad you had problems, fivefor. I've been to Crux a couple times and had no troubles. Yes, being new, the beers are limited but I really enjoyed their "On the Fence". And I like what they did with the space, the feeling of sitting among the brewing equipment and the mountain views.

Of course, as you said, the Ale Trail is great (Boneyard is one of my personal favorites, too), but I also think it's fun to try something new.

Georgetown, Texas
Level Contributor
33 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Going to Bend from Portland for 2 nights - what not to miss?

Thanks for the input - will check things out soon!

Bend, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Bend
Level Contributor
1,601 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Going to Bend from Portland for 2 nights - what not to miss?

OK oregontrekkie... I made another pass through Crux and... success! Tried their Off Leash session beer and enjoyed it. It tastes like Deschutes Twilight. Service was GREAT but the food was so-so. Like I said before, I think with time they will be THE place, but they still felt a little disorganized and chaotic.

Totally worth the visit though, if you are a beer snob and you're in Bend.

(Now can we be friends again?)

Georgetown, Texas
Level Contributor
33 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Going to Bend from Portland for 2 nights - what not to miss?

Just got back from Oregon - found a great brewpub - Platypus Pub - it's in an old church basement...upstairs is a cool beer "store" with 550 kinds of beer and all the equipment for making beer...

Had a great clam chowder, home-made pizza, and a great Smithwicks Irish Red Ale (on nitro)

Recommend it highly!