We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snowshoeing in January 2013. Bend Oregon /Mount Bachelor

Which Bend hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Redding, California
Level Contributor
2 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Snowshoeing in January 2013. Bend Oregon /Mount Bachelor

Looking for ideas on a great little cabin or lodge you can walk out your door and go snowshoeing near Mount Bachelor.

Very open to other places. Prefer privacy ,clean, privacy , fireplace.

Love your ideas thanks:>))

Lassen National...
Level Contributor
2,630 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snowshoeing in January 2013. Bend Oregon /Mount Bachelor

Are you looking for groomed courses or just anywhere with snow? This lists places to rent snowshoes + trail maps: visitbend.com/Bend_Oregon_Activities_Recreat…

I'm not familiar with Bend, but could not resist posting & bumping this up for you as I'm an avid snowshoer. Did you know Bend is holding the USA snowshoe championships this year?

PS the only time snowshoeing wouldnt be quiet is if you use a popular snowmobile trail. They don't seem to like to go out first thing in the am or in the evening though.

Redding, California
Level Contributor
2 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snowshoeing in January 2013. Bend Oregon /Mount Bachelor

Thanks Travelingrunner!

Love both. Usually go up to Lassen but was looking for a little change of pace. Open to Lake Tahoe too if you know of anywhere.

Would love to hear your favorite spots and where you stay when you go.

No I did not know about the USA Snowshoe Championships!

love the sight you sent and THANKS!

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
11,587 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snowshoeing in January 2013. Bend Oregon /Mount Bachelor

HI,

I am sorry it has taken us so long to respond. I don't usually look at the Bend forum as I am not really familiar with it.

Mount Hood has lots of cabins you can rent for a pretty good price. You could even go up to Timberline Lodge and snowshoe out of there. Government Camp is good, and Welches, Rhodendran and cities close to the snow. If you don't have your own snowshoes, they rent them at Timberline.

Look on Mt. Hood Territories forum and check the lodging to see if something looks good to you. Mr. O and I have rented there. Or put in lodging and the city name and see if you find anything you like

Hope this helps

Mrs O.

Bend, OR
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Snowshoeing in January 2013. Bend Oregon /Mount Bachelor

A few additional suggestions:

Suggestion #1 ~ Seventh Mountain Resort borders the Deschutes National Forest and is also the closest property to Mt. Bachelor Ski Resort. They have various condo style accommodations in addition to easy access to winter recreation. seventhmountain.com/recreational-activities/…

You can rent snowshoes at most of the winter sport equipment rental businesses in Bend or take a FREE 90 minute snowshoe tour with naturalist guides at Mt. Bachelor and the snowshoes are provided. mtbachelor.com/winter/…index.html

Suggestion #2 ~ Elk Lake Resort has cabins and also rents snowshoes. You'll have the privacy you mentioned and you can snowshoe out your door. However, in winter the Resort is accessible only by the Resort's snowcat or snowmobile. http://www.elklakeresort.net/

There are numerous winter recreation / snowshoe trails within the Deschutes National Forest. The trail systems from the Virginia Meissner SnoPark are one of the most popular areas for snowshoeing: http://www.meissnernordic.org/trails/where/ & …usda.gov/activity/…

Suggestion #3 ~ Sunriver, Oregon (just 15 miles south of Bend). Sunriver Resort is approximately the same distance from Mt. Bachelor and the area's nordic/snowshoe trails as properties in Bend. http://www.sunriver-resort.com/

Suggestion #4 ~ Paulina Lake Lodge (24 miles south of Bend and 10 miles south of Sunriver) Cabins, Lodge with Restaurant and access out cabin door to nordic/snowshoe trails http://paulinalakelodge.com/winter.html & bendbulletin.com/article/…

We're here to help. If you'd like more information to help you plan your winter trip to Central Oregon, please call the Central Oregon Visitors Association at 800-800-8334 or visit www.visitcentraloregon.com.

Bend, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Bend
Level Contributor
1,564 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snowshoeing in January 2013. Bend Oregon /Mount Bachelor

My favorite place to go snowshoeing near Bend is Edison Sno-Park. It isn't as "crowded" as other popular Sno-Parks (Wanoga, Meissner) and it's a nice trek out to several warming huts. There are separate trails for XC skiing and snowshoes. It's also dog-friendly.

It's an easy drive from either Seventh Mountain Resort, Entrada Lodge, or Sunriver.

At certain times of the year you might be able to snowshoe "out the door" at any of those places... but it would be very dependent on the weather.

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
10,803 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Snowshoeing in January 2013. Bend Oregon /Mount Bachelor

Another vote for the Edison Sno-Park.

Another place we enjoy snowshoeing is from the north end of Sunriver on up to Benham Falls.

7. Re: Snowshoeing in January 2013. Bend Oregon /Mount Bachelor

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 November 2013, 10:17