We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7th Mountain Resort vs Brasada Ranch

Evanston, Illinois
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
7th Mountain Resort vs Brasada Ranch

Hi, traveling in July with 3 kids (9, 11, 13), My kids love pools and resorts but we also want to experience Central Oregon and all its beauty.

Both resorts look great for families. Does anyone have an opinion about which one would be better? Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Oregon
Oregon
United States
Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Bend
Level Contributor
1,671 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 7th Mountain Resort vs Brasada Ranch

Besides the activities at the resorts, what do you plan to do? Will you have a car?

Brasada is located east of Bend (the largest city in Central Oregon) - about a 30 min drive. I haven't stayed there but I know people who have, and they say the resort is beautiful and the pool is great. My husband has played golf there and - while it's expensive - he enjoys the course.

Seventh Mountain is on the outskirts of Bend, and it's a short 5-10min drive into town. It's an older property but it's well taken care of and has been renovated. It's closer to the Cascade Lakes highway as well, which is a popular driving tour as well as hiking, paddling, and lakeside fun.

Mentioned in this post
Bend
Bend
Central Oregon, OR
Oregon
Oregon
United States
Evanston, Illinois
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: 7th Mountain Resort vs Brasada Ranch

We'll have a car and would like to do some light hiking. Would love access to water sports on lakes but I'm not sure if that is available in the area.

I'm considering splitting time between the 2 resorts so that we can have some time close to Bend. Any suggestions would be great appreciated. I'm still in research mode!

Mentioned in this post
Bend
Bend
Central Oregon, OR
Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Bend
Level Contributor
1,671 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 7th Mountain Resort vs Brasada Ranch

Other than SCUBA and snorkeling, there are few water sports you don't see people enjoying in Central Oregon. What do you enjoy doing? Some of the larger lakes allow power boats, but others are for non-motorized use only. The water is on the cold side, but it's clean and refreshing.

If your main aim is to enjoy hiking and water activities consider staying at Elk Lake (http://www.elklakeresort.net/) or Cultus Lake (http://www.cultuslakeresort.com/). Both are very rustic. I'm not sure if either have a pool. My family prefers Cultus because the beaches are a little quieter - probably because it's a bit further from Bend - and there's a bigger "wading depth" swim area.

Mentioned in this post
Oregon
Oregon
United States
Bend
Bend
Central Oregon, OR
Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
128 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 7th Mountain Resort vs Brasada Ranch

If you really want to "experience Central Oregon", I think 7th Mountain would be the better choice. Brasada is beautiful and the pool is great but it is somewhat isolated whereas 7th Mountain is in the midst of all sorts of options for exploring and activities. It's only a 10 minute (if that) drive to Bend and, being in the Deschutes National Forest and on the Cascade Lakes Scenic Byway, it provides quick access to the mountains and high lakes. FYI, if you like water play, one of the most popular summer activities here is floating the Deschutes River through Bend. You can rent tubes or paddle boards or purchase an inexpensive floatie. A shuttle bus will take you back to the starting point.

Mentioned in this post
Oregon
Oregon
United States
Bend
Bend
Central Oregon, OR
Cascade Lodge
Cascade Lodge
212 Reviews
Bend, OR
Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,894 posts
1,099 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 7th Mountain Resort vs Brasada Ranch

I see you're fairly new to TripAdvisor, 192annem192, welcome. Are you familiar with the search mechanism here on TA? You can look for all kinds of attractions under the town heading. Look also under nearby towns such as Redmond and maybe even Prineville.

Have your kids ever seen a shoe tree? There's one just outside of Bend!

Edited: 24 April 2013, 21:07
Mentioned in this post
Redmond
Redmond
Central Oregon, OR
Bend
Bend
Central Oregon, OR
6. Re: 7th Mountain Resort vs Brasada Ranch

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 April 2014, 07:17