We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best road for rv from hood river to bend?

sonoma county
Level Contributor
171 posts
108 reviews
Save Topic
Best road for rv from hood river to bend?

We have 30' motorhome. We don't like to climb if we don't have to. Which is better route ..hwy 26 or 197 south?

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best road for rv from hood river to bend?

Don't take 197. Climb out of Maupin is not good, plus a little narrow.

I think 35 then 26 would be ok. Some climb there. 97 would be better but a bit further.

We had a 25' motor home for 10 years or so. It really slowed down on climbs, so I tried to avoid those with limited passing lanes. like 58 south, but I would have taken 35 with it,

sonoma county
Level Contributor
171 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best road for rv from hood river to bend?

Thanks! I wish trip advisor would have a section about road options for RVers.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,637 posts
1,084 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best road for rv from hood river to bend?

We've driven all the routes in that area of Oregon. Last time through we had our big truck and trailer. None of the routes are "caution" roads.

I think Hwy 197 is fine and you cross the Oregon Trail near Tygh valley.

Hwy 35 is okay but does climb up a *lot* higher going over two passes.

Hwy 97 is good but is farther east to start.

There is a storm coming in Sunday 22nd - check projected snow levels. I don't think they will go as low as Hwy 35 but according to my AAA map, Bennett Pass is about 4,700 feet.

Mentioned in this post
Oregon
Oregon
United States
4. Re: Best road for rv from hood river to bend?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 September 2014, 05:18