We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Highway 97 to Bend from California on January 10th?

Huntington Beach...
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Highway 97 to Bend from California on January 10th?

I have visited Bend before in the summer months. I got a job up there starting January 15th. I know the roads will be snowy, and I have chains for my FWD van. I need to know the best route from the Cali Central Valley to Bend in January. North 97 from the 5? or From Eugene? or from Tahoe go 395???

Thanks

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,750 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Highway 97 to Bend from California on January 10th?

Won't have any idea until at a 5 day weather forecast is available for your route. Check the weather website and California and Oregon road condition websites, read other threads here about winter travel between California and Oregon, and have a Merry Christmas. Chuck.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28958-i237-k70435…

Edited: 15 December 2013, 21:13
Renton, WA
Level Contributor
4,111 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Highway 97 to Bend from California on January 10th?

I would take the freeway up to Weed and veer off onto 97 just to avoid Siskiyou Pass. If road conditions are bad on 97 they will be terrible on the freeway. Having said that, the freeway probably gets more attention from the snowplowers than does 97. Monitor www.tripcheck.com to make a last-minute decision. I don't know enough about 395 to comment.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,456 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Highway 97 to Bend from California on January 10th?

97 is your best bet.... 395 gets pretty mountainy north of Reno...

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,012 posts
1,068 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Highway 97 to Bend from California on January 10th?

From the "central valley" I certainly wouldn't go up to Tahoe then north! I-5 to Hwy 97 is probably the best way. Using www.tripcheck.com you can access the cameras on Hwy 97 as far south as Weed area, so that should give you an idea of what the conditions are. It's a major artery with a fair amount of truck traffic.

Just allow yourself enough travel time.

Bend, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Bend
Level Contributor
1,632 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Highway 97 to Bend from California on January 10th?

I agree with others. Take I-5 to 97. Keep an eye on www.tripcheck.com (which will tell you about current road & weather conditions as well as accidents or construction delays in Oregon) and the short-term weather forecast.

And... congrats on you new job and your move! My family & I love living here.

I hope you have lots of warm socks. And get some yak traks ... they are like tire chains for your shoes. ;-)

Bend, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Bend
Level Contributor
1,632 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Highway 97 to Bend from California on January 10th?

I drove 97 between Bend and Klamath Falls this weekend. All clear. For now...

7. Re: Highway 97 to Bend from California on January 10th?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 January 2015, 07:18
Get answers to your questions about Bend