We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Bend in May

Which Bend hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Gettysburg...
Level Contributor
36 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting Bend in May

Hi everyone! My boyfriend and I are visiting Bend mid-May and I am asking for advice on where to stay. We are looking for something affordable (less than $100/night), clean, and conveniently located. It does not have to be fancy! We are Choice Hotel employees so we did make reservations at both the Rodeway and Econo Lodge so we could take advantage of our discount, but we are open to canceling either of those and staying someplace else. We are also considering the Holiday Motel.

Ideally we would like to be located within walking distance of restaurants, shopping, and of course, breweries. Is "downtown" where most of these businesses are located? What is the Old Mill District like? Are there any other neighborhoods to which we should focus our search? We will be renting a car, but would prefer to use it as little as possible.

We would like to do a day or so of hiking. I'm not particularly outdoorsy, so nothing too intense, but we would definitely like to see the scenery- any suggestions on this front? Anything else you would recommend as must-do's?

Thanks in advance!

Laura

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
246 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Bend in May

For a hike go check out Smith Rocks

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,005 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Bend in May

The Econo Lodge and Rodeway Inn are about 1/2 mile apart, so no advantage in location. I've stayed at the Econ Lodge 5 times the past year because it's one, close to my son's house and two, it's pet friendly. I have no real complaints and think it's fine for the money.

Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
114 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Bend in May

Both the Old Mill District and Downtown are major shopping/dining areas but with different personalities. More breweries are within walking distance in the downtown area. (If you haven't heard of it, check out the Bend Ale Trail). Of the motels you mentioned, Econo Lodge is closer to the downtown area. The Rainbow Motel is a few blocks closer and not too bad a walk to downtown. If you don't mind having a room with a shared bath down the hall, check out the Mill Inn. They have rooms with baths as well but are a little more than $100 (but a fantastic breakfast is included). They are located in between downtown and the Old Mill so you could walk to both.

FYI, if you are in Bend the weekend of May 17th, there is a huge sporting event (Pole Pedal Paddle) that attracts thousands of participants so you should nail down your accommodations ASAP.

Smith Rocks, about a 30 minute drive from Bend, is, indeed, a great hike. It's a bit strenuous to go over the top but just hiking along the river is stunning and easy. Closer to town, hiking along the river trail either south of town or from the Old Mill district is really nice. Tumalo Falls also is a good outing. You probably will hit snow on the trail not too far above the falls (depends on our weather and snow melt) but the falls themselves are gorgeous and the walk above them is nice even if just for a little ways. Finally, for scenery, there always is the drive to Mt. Bachelor (about 30 minutes) which will give you spectacular mountain views though too much snow for hiking (snowshoes?). And while you are in town, if the weather is clear, be sure to drive or hike up Pilot Butte for a spectacular view.

Enjoy your stay!

Oregon
Level Contributor
415 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting Bend in May

The Lava River Cave south of Bend is interesting if you have never been in a cave -- it's chilly in the cave; bring a GOOD flashlight [or rent a lantern]. The entrance is a bit rocky, but the floor of the cave is level and easy walking. I believe it's a mile long, but you certainly don't have to do the whole thing.

I love the view from the top of Paulina Peak [30-40 minutes south of Bend]; and it's a nice area to poke around, take a hike. The Paulina Falls are pretty. This is all part of the Newberry National Volcanic Monument. Check the road conditions before going.

Smith Rocks are fun and interesting -- the hike down to and along the river is nice. It's fun to look up and watch the rock climbers.

5. Re: Visiting Bend in May

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 18 May 2014, 06:35
Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,853 posts
1,049 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting Bend in May

Hi Autumn S, I see you are brand new to TripAdvisor. Your first three posts all seem to be advertising car services. If you check the posting guidelines you will find that advertising is not allowed on TripAdvisor, so your posts may be removed.

7. Re: Visiting Bend in May

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 May 2015, 05:16