We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

White Rock Resort Smith River

Kilgore, Texas
Level Contributor
37 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
White Rock Resort Smith River

Note - I also posted this on the CA board, didn't know which would be best.

I see several listings of cabins for rent on vrbo. All of them are 1bd 1ba w/loft. They are right on the ocean. I believe it is the White Rock Resort. Then I noticed thet their website does not work and the place is listed for sale. Does anyone know what is going on? Is this a decent place to stay for a family of four? We want to spend a week visiting the redwoods and Oregon/CA coast, etc. Any suggestions are appreciated!

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,012 posts
1,068 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: White Rock Resort Smith River

Hi. You do have the name right. This used to be an RV park about 10-12 years ago, and we stayed there several times. Then they started putting in the cabins, and slowly the "RV" spaces disappeared and it became all cabins. I know it has been a going concern for the years since, however, I tried to get a good look at it when we were driving by last week, (thinking of TA) and it appeared to be not busy at all, no cars. I did think I saw a for sale sign as I was peering out the truck window through the rain.

What kind of lodging budget do you have in mind?

When are you planning on visiting?

There is a nice Best Western Beachfront in Brookings, about 50' from the ocean. There is a Hampton Inn in Crescent City, on a bluff about 30' above the ocean. They are both pretty pricey.

There is the Ship Ashore Motel in Smith River, which I think is on the water, an older place I believe. There is also an older motel right on the ocean in Crescent City, the Crescent Beach Motel. There are many more motels which may have an ocean view, or simply be along the main thoroughfare on Hwy 101.

Have you thought about possibly renting a house, if you are going to stay in one spot for a week? This website lists many rentals:

www.vrbo.com

Good luck and check back if you need more info :-)

Kilgore, Texas
Level Contributor
37 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: White Rock Resort Smith River

Hello half-brit!

You were helping me when I was thinking about a two week trip fro Seattle to San Francisco. I have decided that that is too much road work. I think we will fly into Sacremento, stay a week around the Brookings area and then head south.

VRBO is where I found these cabins. They would be around $800.00 for the week.

Brookings has really gotten my interest as both a place to visit and a possible retirement site (4 years from Saturday). So I have been looking in that area for a place to stay.

If you have a suggestion for a better place, please let me know. We are thinking of visiting the Redwoods (two days), gold beach boat trip (one day),

Sand dunes (one day). Would crater lake be out of the question from that spot as a day trip?

Thanks, Michael

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
43,012 posts
1,068 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: White Rock Resort Smith River

Hi, I knew your name was familiar :-)

I did a Google search for them and came up with this:

whiterockresort.com/NEWpageDesign/…index.htm

That seems to work, but in reading it quickly, they seem sort of "fussy" ... and I don't get the $10 nightly "fee". In addition to your room charge?

I also did a quick vrbo search and found a couple of 2 bdrm condos in Rainbow Rock for about $900/wk. This is a gorgeous area just north of town, quite new.

"Four years from Saturday", lol! Brookings has lots of retirees. It has a decent climate, but does get the rain, you know. Lots of it. It's a nice clean town with a fair number of amenities, a large Fred Meyers, and so on, pop about 7,000. There's a brand new Home Depot in Crescent City, just 25 minutes south, although you have to pay those pesky CA taxes there! The only drawback might be that it is a good long drive from a major city (Medford) with a Costco, for example. I think about 2.5-3 hours one way.

It's nicely situated for what you want to see, but Crater Lake is too far for a one day jaunt, since it's about 4.5-5 hours to get there. The closest sand dune buggy/ATV activity is Winchester Bay, I believe, which is about 2+ hours north of there. But that could be done easily in a day.

Kilgore, Texas
Level Contributor
37 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: White Rock Resort Smith River

Thanks for the web address. It appears that they are selling the cabins off individually, as they are listed for sale on the site. So I could probably rent from the company or an owner on vrbo. I will also check into those condos. I saw them listed, but didn't know if it was a nice area or not.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
43,012 posts
1,068 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: White Rock Resort Smith River

They are both in nice areas, very scenic. The White Rock is closer to the highway, but also closer to the ocean, both in terms of distance from, and height above. It's south of actual Brookings, south of Harbor, I think just a few yards into CA?

Rainbow Rock is out of Brookings about two miles to the north. The complex sits high above the water, and has a sweeping southern view. There is a trail down to the water, I'm pretty sure. It is a gaited complex, a bit farther away from the highway, very nice condos there.

Hope you have a lovely holiday :-)

Santa Maria
Level Contributor
15 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: White Rock Resort Smith River

We lived in Brookings and Smith River for a couple of years. Thought we were going to retire there, but the weather was too much for my husband. One year it rained 47 days straight, and I mean RAIN, not drizzel.

The Oregon taxes are high if you have a monthly retirement income, better if you are living off savings.

If you can handle the rain, it is a wonderful place and very beautiful, I loved it and miss it. Slow pace and very friendly.

sacramento
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: White Rock Resort Smith River

We have been coming here for our family reunions for 5 years now and have never had any complaints. Each year we rent 5 or 6 ocean front cabins and we "cabin hop" all weekend. Everyone has a deck with a hot tub and you are sitting RIGHT ON the edge of the beach. There is beach access right there, between 2 cabins, and it is never overcrowded. We are not a Rowdy bunch, but not really tame either. The staff has always been helpful and pretty much invisible. They are there if you need them, and not if you don't. What more could you ask for?

sacramento
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: White Rock Resort Smith River

Renting from private owners means that you can not use the resort amenities so think about if something goes wrong on your trip and you need help they have staff to help you!! Plus the resort has listings on VRBO also!!! Look for the 888 number. Hope this helps!!

9. Re: White Rock Resort Smith River

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2009, 15:19
Get answers to your questions about Brookings