We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

whats the best gas efficient route from ventura to brookings

Ventura, California
1 post
Save Topic
whats the best gas efficient route from ventura to brookings

moving to brookings, so hauling major weight with moving van, trailering our cars, transporting our animals. would like to travel a route that is easy on fuel, comfort, and one vehicle hauling is not a brand new vehicle, it's actually quite old (but we have faith!).

choices:

101: 786 miles, 14 hours, 19 minutes

I5 & 101: 776 miles, 13 hours, 49 minutes

I5: 835 miles, 15 hours

-we've traveled up the I5, but it is an hour out of our way to get to it, we are close to the 101.

-other downfall of the 5 is having to take grants pass over to the coast, that's more miles and time 2-3 hours.

-traveling this week which will be rain.

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
8,827 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: whats the best gas efficient route from ventura to brookings

Although this isn't a tourism questiion, I'll try to give you an answer.

www.tripcheck.com

Check this website for road and weather forecasts. Winter is tiptoeing into Oregon this week and snow showers and freezing temps are forecast for Siskiyou Pass. Going up 101 you'll probably encounter plenty of rain, but no snow this time of year. You'll also avoid mountain passes and their strain on your loaded vehicle.

Stick to 101 all the way.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,393 posts
1,083 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: whats the best gas efficient route from ventura to brookings

Hi katata4444 and welcome to TripAdvisor. I agree with the above post - 101 makes the most sense for you. There are only a few parts of 101 that are winding and slow.

I would also suggest you post on the San Francisco forum and ask the most effficient way to by pass the city as you don't want to get tangled up there!

Here is the California forum - you can then jump to a more specific forum and select San Francisco from the drop-down box:

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g28926-i29-Califor…

Congratulations on moving to the Oregon coast :-)

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
19,374 posts
426 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: whats the best gas efficient route from ventura to brookings

The 101 will be the best route. On the good news side, you do have some marvelously beautiful highway to travel as you get to northern California and into Oregon. Traversing the Bay Area, stay on the Oakland side and take the Richmond-San Rafael Bridge then merge back onto 101 to avoid the city. Traffic along the Oakland side will be stop and go but it's better than dragging your rigs through the city.

Have fun. You're moving to an amazing part of the world!

4. Re: whats the best gas efficient route from ventura to brookings

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 September 2014, 06:19
Get answers to your questions about Brookings