We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time to Oregon Coast (Brookings) from Sacramento.

shingle springs, ca
Level Contributor
75 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
First time to Oregon Coast (Brookings) from Sacramento.

Hi,

We will be getting out of the heat next month and using our Best Western points in Brookings as our home base for a few days next week. I don't have this trip as well planned out as I usually do. We would like to venture north along the coast for day trips, stopping for short hikes, walks along the beach and generally just exploring. The Rouge river jet boat sounds like fun too though we will have our dog with us, so I'm not sure how that will work out. What I'm particularly wondering is what is north of Brookings along the coast that we should look forward to seeing? I need some help in finding info on this particular portion of the Oregon coast.

We will probably also venture south to the redwoods, but I think we can figure that part out.

4 replies to this topic
Missouri
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time to Oregon Coast (Brookings) from Sacramento.

Here is a start:

oregoncoastmagazine.com/mile_by_mile_oregon_…

Put "Brookings" into the search box and start working backwards.

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,047 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time to Oregon Coast (Brookings) from Sacramento.

By all means, stop at EVERY pullout along the Samual Boardman State Scenic Corridor, north of Brookings!! The Oregon Coast Trail winds along through this section and there are some SPECTACULAR views just a short hike from the pull outs!

Also, just south of Port Orford is Humbug Mt State Park. There is a trail to the top of the mountain that offers some great scenery. In addition, right in Port Orford is Port Orford Heads State Park with a trail out to the tip of the head where you can get great views both north and south!

shingle springs, ca
Level Contributor
75 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time to Oregon Coast (Brookings) from Sacramento.

Perfect! Thank you both!

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,947 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time to Oregon Coast (Brookings) from Sacramento.

This is one of the most scenic areas of the Oregon coast :-)

Going south, there is a lot to see in the redwoods. If you enter the town name in the search box at the top right of any TripAdvisor page, you can then read about the attractions there. For the redwoods, use Crescent City, Klamath, Orick, Trinidad as well as Redwood National Park. Farther south is Eureka and Ferndale.

There are some really interesting off the beaten track places to see and dozens of places to walk along easy footpaths and/or actually "hike" up hill and down dale!

I think there is a pet grooming/boarding facility in Brookings. I don't know of any in Gold Beach, but these folks would know... http://www.woofsdogbakery.com/

Reply to: First time to Oregon Coast (Brookings) from Sacramento.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Brookings