We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dinner in Cannon Beach - your pick?

Colorado
Level Contributor
22 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Dinner in Cannon Beach - your pick?

We will only have one night in Cannon Beach and want to choose wisely for dinner. What is your #1 pick? Budget of around $12-18 for entrees, and we'd love to get some fresh seafood and/or Oregon specialties like wild mushrooms. Thanks.

Level Contributor
36,202 posts
907 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dinner in Cannon Beach - your pick?

I really enjoyed our last meal at Newman's @ 988. It is a very small, yet intimate dining room with excellent food and service. They have a really yummy Chocolate Pot de Creme there that is excellent for desserts.

What ambiance are you looking for? We also like Bistro for their Salmon and Greek Lemon Soup. The ambiance is not as elegant as Newman's, the service is very good here also.

If you don't mind a rather noisy ambiance with families, Wayfarer also does some good Salmon and seafood dishes. If you are ever in Dayton, check out the Joel Palmer House for their mushroom dishes. They do a presentation called Mushroom Madness where you can sample several different dishes with mushroom. Enjoy your time on the coast and welcome to the forums!

I have reviews with photos of Wayfarer, Bistro and Newman's for you to check out. Cheers!

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,074 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dinner in Cannon Beach - your pick?

Dayton??? what has Dayton got to do with Cannon Beach? I thought that was in the winery area.

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,115 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dinner in Cannon Beach - your pick?

Dayton is a good 2 hours from Cannon Beach...

The Wayfarer is very good and fits your price range. Syrahgirl was smart and listened to a few of us locals who had been suggestioning it for a while:) Plus, it has a nice view of Haystack Rock.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,074 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dinner in Cannon Beach - your pick?

Glad I am not crazy , thanks Mtngrl.

Denver, Mtngrl is a great source for you, go ahead , pick her brain, she has been invaluable in helping us , since we moved here about a year and a half ago.

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,054 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dinner in Cannon Beach - your pick?

No question, Dooger's!! They specialize in local seafood prepared one of three ways: cajun; saute`ed; deep fried. Try the Cajun Snow Crab legs or the saute'ed scallops!!

~Den~

oregon city
Level Contributor
790 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dinner in Cannon Beach - your pick?

2nd vote for Doogers-everytime I've been there it's been very good and within your price range. Just ask for the local seafood-most of it should be but.... you never know.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Dinner in Cannon Beach - your pick?

My #1 pick would be Gower St. Bistro, which shares a building with Cannon Beach Hotel, a few blocks south of downtown, and next to the Wayfarer. But I think the Wayfarer is best for variety of seafood offered. However, neither of these restaurants will have a lot of entree selections in your price range (you can probably find menus on-line). Same is true of both Newman's and Bistro, but I wouldn't opt for either of those anyway because I think they're both trying to be something they're not.

Haven't been to Doogers in a few years, but I think their meals are more in your price range. You'll see a number of families there.

We should probably also mention Mo's, an institution on the Oregon coast. It's not known for food quality, but the chowder and garlic cheese bread are pretty good. And syrahgirl often recommends the blackened salmon she had there years ago. One reason to go there would be that the Mo's location in Cannon Beach has the best beach view of any restaurant in town. Expect lots of families.

Manzanita, Oregon
Level Contributor
775 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dinner in Cannon Beach - your pick?

If you go to Dooger's during happy hour they have nice small plate entrees upstairs in the lounge at happy hour prices. Someone suggested in your Portland posting that you combine lunch and dinner for a late lunch and have more to spend. If you were to do that the Gower Street Bistro is an excellent choice to sample NW cuisine, also the Wayfarer on the oceanfront, actually located behind the GS Bistro has a lot of excellent examples of NW cooking including many fish and sea food dishes, plus there is a great ocean view.

If you follow this suggestion for early lunch get a few bakery rolls, some cheese, some deli meat if you like, a bottle of wine and have a simple picnic lunch. The money you save you can spend on dinner.

Did you mention what month you will be visitng the Pacific North Wet? Heh, heh, heh. Hope you have a great visit. Didn't you mention in an earlier post you will be traveling through Cheese City, I mean Tillamook. If so be sure to stop at the creamery for an ice cream, Ben and Jerry has nothing over Tillamook ice cream, I'm here to tell you.

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,008 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dinner in Cannon Beach - your pick?

"Ben and Jerry has nothing over Tillamook ice cream, I'm here to tell you." Them's fighting words :).

Manzanita, Oregon
Level Contributor
775 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dinner in Cannon Beach - your pick?

Have you tried Tillamook, other than vanilla?