We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trying to decide between Surfsand and Ocean Lodge for couple

Newburyport, MA
Level Contributor
243 posts
1 review
Trying to decide between Surfsand and Ocean Lodge for couple

We are a couple in our 60's and will be in Cannon Beach for two nights of our trip to Oregon next summer. I can't decide between the Ocean Lodge and the Surfsand. Both hotels look lovely, although the Ocean Lodge seems to have the edge in that regard.

We prefer to stay in/near downtown areas so that we can walk to restaurants, shops, etc. We'll be arriving on a motorcycle, and if it's rainy, it's really nice not to have to get back on a wet bike to head out to dinner. It's a big plus for us that the Surfsand is in town.

However, I'm a bit nervous about the more family-oriented atmosphere of the Surfsand. It's not that we have a problem with kids--quite the opposite; however, I'm a light sleeper, and I'm wondering whether little ones awakening at 6 a.m. will be waking me up! The Ocean Lodge seems less likely to have as many families with kids, at least that's what I've inferred from TA discussions.

I think the Stephanie Inn might be a bit stuffy for us, so I've pretty much taken it out of consideration.

Any thoughts on Surfsand vs. Ocean Lodge for us? Thank you in advance!

Newburyport, MA
Level Contributor
243 posts
1 review
1. Re: Trying to decide between Surfsand and Ocean Lodge for couple

Well, it took me a while to find this information, but it looks as though the Ocean Lodge has a three-night, not a two-night, minimum in July and August, so that counts us out!

Would you just go with the Surfsand if you were us? Or somewhere else? (We are not B&B people.)

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,504 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: Trying to decide between Surfsand and Ocean Lodge for couple

We've stayed in all three of the lodgings you mention, and IMO, you hit the nail squarely on the head with your assessment of each. Distance from downtown aside, with kids we always stayed at Surfsand, and after one stay at Stephanie Inn, as a couple we choose Ocean Lodge. That said, while it's true that Surfsand is geared more towards families, I don't recall being bothered by noise from adjacent rooms or families walking by outside the door to our room. So I think you'd be happy at Surfsand. It's at least a step above the other beachfront options in town.

Level Contributor
39,076 posts
1,014 reviews
3. Re: Trying to decide between Surfsand and Ocean Lodge for couple

I love the location of The Ocean Lodge, right next to The Stephanie Inn where we had an amazing meal last Sunday night. The Surfsand is probably your best bet right now or look into The Hallmark Resort & Spa if you want another option. Enjoy your time in Cannon Beach! :)

Level Contributor
39,076 posts
1,014 reviews
4. Re: Trying to decide between Surfsand and Ocean Lodge for couple

The Hallmark has recently been remodeled if that is important to you. :)

Edited: 11 September 2017, 19:04
Newburyport, MA
Level Contributor
243 posts
1 review
5. Re: Trying to decide between Surfsand and Ocean Lodge for couple

Thank you all so much! I was all ready to go for the Surfsand after reading the first few responses, but now I'm back to considering the Hallmark, as well. A few of the TA reviews mentioned the rooms seeming a bit "tired," but if it's recently been remodeled, this is probably no longer the case.

So, any thoughts on Surfsand vs. Hallmark?

Thanks again.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,504 posts
3 reviews
6. Re: Trying to decide between Surfsand and Ocean Lodge for couple

A friend is on Hallmark's executive management team, so I know they market to a similar demographic, but preferring Surfsand's easier beach access, we've always stayed there. My sense is that Surfsand has higher quality furnishings as well, but can't say for sure. Another convenience of Surfsands is its restaurant, The Wayfarer, which has probably the best seafood menu in town, including the clam chowder, IMO, one of the best on the coast. Not sure if Hallmark even has any food service, but as long as you're not expecting a luxe kind of experience, you'd probably be happy there.

Newburyport, MA
Level Contributor
243 posts
1 review
7. Re: Trying to decide between Surfsand and Ocean Lodge for couple

Thank you, Mgventures! For some reason, the photos on Surfsand's website appeal to me more than Hallmark's, although I know one can't always go by the hotel's own photos!

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,861 posts
102 reviews
8. Re: Trying to decide between Surfsand and Ocean Lodge for couple

I have not stayed at the Hallmark, but we have stayed at the Surfsand numerous times over the years and we always love it! We go as a family, as a couple, and I have done girls trips there, and for each type of trip it has always worked out great, FWIW. The rooms are very nice and the staff are great. That is our go to spot in town!

9. Re: Trying to decide between Surfsand and Ocean Lodge for couple

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 September 2018, 05:17