We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tips? Winter at Cannon Beach for Dad's 60th

9 posts
Tips? Winter at Cannon Beach for Dad's 60th

Hi,

I'm planning a family weekend in Cannon Beach for my Dad's 60th in early January.

He likes "do nothing" vacations, meaning he just wants to spend time together as a family without being drug along(usually by me) to museums and events and... all that fun stuff :)

Are there any locals or Cannon Beach regulars who can recommend one or two low-key and winter-friendly afternoon outings in the area? Also, are bonfires allowed on the beach?

Restaurant suggestions for birthday dinner?

My sister in law already booked the location, it's an Airbnb called The Guesthouse. Located at Hemlock & Harrison near the Wayfarer.

There seems to be a row of shops within walking distance, but its hard to tell from google if that would be a nice stroll in January or where the best part of town would be for an afternoon walk, weather permitting (fingers crossed!).

My proposed itinerary:

>>Thursday 4pm check-in

Unpack/ dinner prep

Walk 1 block to nearest beach access point

Bonfire?

Dinner at the house

Game night with kids/grandkids

>>Friday

Fruit& Pastries breakfast (I'll go out early to get pastries from a local shop- recommendations?)

Relaxing morning/ coffee & tea

**Outing to nearby attraction (walking distance?)

**Dinner at nearby restaurant (walking distance?)

Bonfire/ Game night

>>Saturday

Morning beach walk

Brunch at the house

Check out

Any advice or tips would be appreciated, thank you!

15 replies to this topic
Florence, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,414 posts
300 reviews
1. Re: Tips? Winter at Cannon Beach for Dad's 60th

First of all, you have to understand the climate of the Pacific Northwest in Winter which can be described in three words, wet, wetter and wettest. Don't bank on the bonfires.

Centerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
14,291 posts
3,286 reviews
2. Re: Tips? Winter at Cannon Beach for Dad's 60th

651Eddie:

Excellent weather summary.

Florence, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,414 posts
300 reviews
3. Re: Tips? Winter at Cannon Beach for Dad's 60th

The "main drag" in Cannon Beach is centered around Hemlock Street between 3rd Street and 1st Street.

The town of Seaside might be of interest especially if children are involved. Seaside is a classic beach resort, sort of a mini-Coney Island kind of place that is busier and more low keyed than Cannon Beach.

Level Contributor
39,038 posts
1,014 reviews
4. Re: Tips? Winter at Cannon Beach for Dad's 60th

The Wayfarer would be a nice place for dinner, you can book on OpenTable. Another nice place for a meal is Nonni's in nearby Seaside. It is an Italian restaurant which is family-friendly with very good food. 🏖

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,855 posts
102 reviews
5. Re: Tips? Winter at Cannon Beach for Dad's 60th

Yes, the Wayfarer would be a great location and great place for a birthday dinner. We almost always stay at the Surfsand, which is the hotel next to the Wayfarer, and we always enjoy the short walk into downtown. There are sidewalks and it its easy, but if you want to drive you can do that as well. Ecola State Park is on the north end of town and is a must see, IMO. We usually walk across Hemlock over to the Sleepy Monk for coffee/pastries. There us usually a long line, but they move fast.

Bellingham...
Level Contributor
4,169 posts
1 review
6. Re: Tips? Winter at Cannon Beach for Dad's 60th

Dad likes winter in Cannon Beach- he likes no crowds, a fireplace, and a six pack of beer. So I would forget the bonfire on the beach and make sure your lodging has a gas fire.

I find seaside depressing in January. Probably not your dad’s thing, but Astoria has a great maritime museum- my parents go to a brewery and I go to the museum. And Astoria looks kind of cool in the rain and fog.

The strolls on the beach and in town are totally dependent on weather. We’ve been weekends where it’s fantastic, and also weekends where only the dog wants to go out.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
44,472 posts
1,111 reviews
7. Re: Tips? Winter at Cannon Beach for Dad's 60th

>> wet, wetter and wettest. <<

LOL, the only thing Eddie neglected to mention is that most years, that description applies from about late October through to the end of June ;-)

It's most likely going to be just too darn cold and wet and maybe windy to have a bonfire on the beach. It may also be too miserable to even have a pleasant walk on the beach. If by some miracle the weather is decent, yes it's okay to have a fire on the beach. It must be away from driftwood piles.

Not sure where you live, and I know you said Dad doesn't go in for museums, but there is a terrific maritime museum in Astoria, if he has any interest in boats, Coast Guard etc.

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
7,900 posts
8 reviews
8. Re: Tips? Winter at Cannon Beach for Dad's 60th

I like Cannon Beach Bakery. Many fond memories of Haystack bread as a child. There are more food shopping options in Seaside. The Mariner Market in Cannon Beach is pretty small, but they can supply the basics for a beach weekend. You might find the prices a bit high as opposed to Safeway (in Seaside), etc.

Obviously any outdoor activities depend on the weather. I usually 'plan' my beach walks or morning runs / workouts between squalls (ha ha).

I was going to suggest visiting the Tillamook Cheese Factory, but it looks like they're rebuilding the visitor center, so not as much to see in the temporary visitor center.

For dinner I like Fultano's Pizza.

Beaverton, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Cannon Beach
Level Contributor
6,279 posts
84 reviews
9. Re: Tips? Winter at Cannon Beach for Dad's 60th

For dinner I like Fultano's Pizza.>>>-- imo there is nothing about fultanos that would really qualify as a dinner place for adults----------------------------if you are looking to splurge for dinner i would suggest stephanie inn

just re-read the original post -- fultanos would work well with children

Edited: 27 November 2017, 15:26
Level Contributor
39,038 posts
1,014 reviews
10. Re: Tips? Winter at Cannon Beach for Dad's 60th

There is a very good grocery store in Cannon Beach called Fresh Foods, it is a full service grocery store with lots of specialty items also. :)

Reply to: Tips? Winter at Cannon Beach for Dad's 60th
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted