We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to read a daily tide chart to see the best tide pools

sandy, utah
Level Contributor
1,210 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
How to read a daily tide chart to see the best tide pools

I printed off a daily tide chart for Cannon Beach and would like some help interpreting it. For example, on July 30th it shows a low tide of -1.4 at 7:45 a.m., high of 6.3 at 2:32 p.m. and low again of 2.2 at 7:41 p.m. I'm interested in being able to see the star fish, etc. in the tide pools around Haystack Rock but don't want to get up really early to do it. Would you be able to see them that night with a 2.2 rating? Will that # continue to go lower as the night progresses? It would be great to be there around sunset and low tide at the same time. How low of a rating does it need to be to see things the best? Does it need to be a negative #? We'll actually be in Manzanita July 27-Aug 1st. Will the low tide times change that much over, say a radius between Tillamook and Astoria since I'm not sure where we'll be on any given day? Besides Haystack Rock, are there any other places that have neat tide pools?

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: How to read a daily tide chart to see the best tide pools

The time given for low tide is the point at which it reverses and begins to build back towards high tide. So, no, the 2.2 at 7:41 pm won't go lower as it gets later. I've not paid close attention to tide charts, but I believe tidepooling around Haystack is good at any low tide, and usually an hour or so either side of it. But obviously, the lower the number, the lower the tide, and the longer you'll have to tidepool.

Aside from Haystack, there is some good tidepooling around the rocks at the south end of Indian Beach, which is at the north end of Ecola State Park.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to read a daily tide chart to see the best tide pools

I am not familiar with tide pools on north coast, but know on central coast we have kicked our grandkids out of bed to catch a -1.4 tide at that hour, I would not even bother with a 2.2 tide.

You can work a bit each side of low tide, an hour later it still should be low. even 2 hours later better than a 2.2

oregon city
Level Contributor
790 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to read a daily tide chart to see the best tide pools

The best low tides for tide pooling are negative tides. You won't see alot of the 'good stuff' unless its a neagative. Unfortutetly the lowest low tides in the summer are during the morning(lowest low tides are in the evening during the winter)

The Tides timing changes from location to location and even how high/low the tide goes. But I'm not sure it will be that noticaable(maybe by 0.5 hour) between CB and Tillamook.

Agree that 2.2 low tide wont be worth it to venture out- you;ll have to drink a few cups of coffee and get out there early...

There aren't alot of rock out croppings on the north coast for stuff to stick onto- CB is probably your best bet. There might be some at the foot of Neahkanie mountain in Manzanita.

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,070 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to read a daily tide chart to see the best tide pools

Look at it this way, the tides (all of them) will be just under one hour later on July 31 and another short hour later on Aug 1. As was already pointed out, the time listed is (theoretically) the exact moment the tide reverses direction. Since there is approximately 6 hrs between each low and high tide, there is a window of opportunity there. It's always safer to view tide pools on an outgoing tide. You are much less likely to have the surf sneak up and surround you leaving you stranded! That being said, you can usually start toward the tide pools 1- 1.5 hrs before the listed time and up to 30 minutes after. This gives you plenty of time for viewing.

A 2.2 tide, while not very low, this time of year will give you okay access to the tide pools. Obviously, the lower the tide, the more that becomes exposed.

BTW, while this is a common error, they are not "star fish", but rather "sea stars".

Akron, Ohio
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to read a daily tide chart to see the best tide pools

We will be going to Cannon Beach Sept 4-6. The tide charts indicate 9/4 low 12:48am -0.1, 12:15pm - 3.0, 9/5 2:07am - 0.0, 1:36 - 3.4, and 9/6 3:24am -0.1, 3:01pm - 3.3. Based on earlier post the afternoon tides won't be very good for tide pooling. Advice?

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How to read a daily tide chart to see the best tide pools

I assume the - 3.0 is really plain 3.0. And answer is same. not great low tide

Akron, Ohio
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How to read a daily tide chart to see the best tide pools

Sorry - should read

We will be going to Cannon Beach Sept 4-6. The tide charts indicate 9/4 low 12:48am: -0.1, 12:15pm: 3.0, 9/5 2:07am: 0.0, 1:36: 3.4, and 9/6 3:24am: -0.1, 3:01pm: 3.3. Based on earlier post the afternoon tides won't be very good for tide pooling. Advice?

Oregon
Level Contributor
1,496 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How to read a daily tide chart to see the best tide pools

Correct- go in the morning and then take a nap if you need to.

The lower the tide the better, a 0.0 tide is still ok.

It is BEST to go 1 hour before low tide, so that it isnt' coming in as you are looking at things.

Especially important to double check tides if you are planning to go to Hug Point... a bit south of Cannon Beach.

Oregon
Level Contributor
1,496 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How to read a daily tide chart to see the best tide pools

ooo yours are in the middle of the night now I see. You could try the afternoons, but might not see much.

Hillsboro, Oregon
Level Contributor
765 posts
237 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How to read a daily tide chart to see the best tide pools

We have found anything in the negative to be great- try any low tide at Cannon Beach though if you mis the negative ones. You never know what you will see.