We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tide Pool Question

sandy, utah
Level Contributor
1,194 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Tide Pool Question

I'm just curious as to how wet our feet will get if we're going to see the tide pools around Haystack Rock, getting there within an hour of low tide. Should we wear flip flops or will tennis shoes stay dry enough?

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tide Pool Question

flip flops

oregon city
Level Contributor
790 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tide Pool Question

I dont know if you can walk on the rocks at Haystack, but I've always found that it is harder to walk with flip/flops on rocks. If you have rafting shoes id wear those. Maybe you are more skilled at wearring flops than me.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tide Pool Question

Never been to tide pools at Haystack, if you can wear flip-flops can't be very good.

On central coast we always wear shoes with enough sole to buffer our feet from rocks, but also shoes that can get wet. cause they will

Reminds me of time daughter left me on Beverly Beach with granddaughters 6 and 9 near an outflowing stream, and said don't let them get wet. Right!. By the time she got back they were totally soaked, but they sure had a good time playing in the stream. grandpas have some rights.

Daughter played in same stream as a kid. Think she forgot what kids do.

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tide Pool Question

Ordinarily, I'd have said tennis shoes. However, the OP seems very cautious about this trip, and the statement "... or will tennis shoes stay dry enough?" confirms this plus a lack of understanding of the nature of tide pools. So, I'd say to OP, forget worrying about "... dry enough..." and everyone enjoy the tide pools. You can dry out later. :) Have fun.

BTW, Haystack Rock is a natural preserve, and hopefully people will respect the boundary signs.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Tide Pool Question

Agree, voyaging. There are typically docents around Haystack who know where to look for what, and just as importantly, help to protect the area.

6. Re: Tide Pool Question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 September 2009, 09:31